3.24.2015

The Eyes Have It

I can pinpoint the exact moment in time when wearing eye glasses became ultra chic. It was during the 1997 Academy Awards (the Oscars) when Nicole Kidman, dressed in the stunning chartreuse gown by John Galliano for Dior, pulled out her pair of specs and placed them gently on her face. As she stood before the audience to announce the winner for that Oscar category, she unknowingly moved the wearing of eyeglasses from geeky to glamorous. The next day, fashion experts discussed in length how bold her move was. After all, a person of her status was prone to hide their imperfections. To show the world she needed help reading the cue-cards was groundbreaking.

Fast forward 18 years, and now, the eyeglass industry is all the rage with companies offering the consumer a wide variety of frames and styles to choose from that fit our lifestyles, fashion aesthetic, and budget. Since Nicole made her bold move in front of a national audience, I have expanded my eye wear options. I mean really... who wants to wear the same pair of specs day-after-day? Not me. Just like selecting my shoes or handbag for the day, it's equally enjoyable to have a wardrobe of eyeglasses too.  One eye wear company that offers a vast selection is Firmoo. You can literally sit for hours while enjoying the luxury of online shopping. Just snap a closeup photo of yourself, upload it onto Firmoo's website, and with your uploaded picture, navigate your way through their extensive collection. It's that easy and that fun!


Since my style aesthetic is classic with a touch of bohemian and quirky, I selected a pair that coincided with my exact taste. A brown frame with a slight eyebrow arc, traditional nose bridge, sloped sides, and a touch of interest with frosted yellow temples. The lower eyebrow arc gives a clearer view of a perfectly groomed eyebrow. With my other specs, the arc lines-up with my brow and conceals this area. With an exposed brow, I enjoyed experimenting with eye colors, and even took the time to watch a YouTube video that demonstrated applying makeup for eyeglass wearers (see below).

Eyeglasses Courtesy of Firmoo
Today's Look: Unisex Frame #FC517: Firmoo.com; Skinny Jeans: Loft; Top is vintage; Sandals are Bernardo via eBay (sold out everywhere); Earrings (also available in clip-on): Icing; All makeup is Clinique; Polish is Recessionista by essie.  




 
 



If you wear eyeglasses, I hope you'll visit Firmoo.com to enjoy the experience of building your optical needs. Thanks again to Nicole Kidman for making four-eyes ΓΌber cool. We now know the eyes have it!{wink}

If you missed this week's BIG Announcement, click HERE to learn more.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
bloglovin or Instagram or Google+

Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

22 comments:

  1. Glenda,
    These are perfect on you, classic but for the twist of sunny yellow on the stems! Love the yellow top too with the perfect embroidery. I have heard of this company and next time I need glasses ( I am amply stocked now!) I will remember this post.\
    and yes, Nicole Kidman's face with glasses and without....heaven!
    And yours aint bad either!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle! Yes, give them a try. I had a great time selecting my specs and I'm very happy with how these suit my face and personality.

      Delete
  2. Great glasses perfect style for your face. I am planning on doing a post on finding glasses for one's face shape, as I have a small collection. Love the embroidered shirt too!
    jess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess! That sounds like a great post. I'll keep my eyes open for it :)

      Delete
  3. These are so incredibly chic on you! The shape is perfectly suited for your face!

    PS I am not sure why but your other post keeps not allowing me to post my comment so I had to let you know here that I am so excited for your book and so incredibly happy for you!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cara! What?...I have no idea why that is happening. I'm receiving others comments. Hmmm. That's strange. But thank you!

      Delete
  4. These are so sharp on you! I love the shape of the frame as they highlight your lovely face and hair.
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shon! I'm very happy with how they look :)

      Delete
  5. Those glasses are just perfect for your face! It's not easy (or at least I didn't think so) to accomplish this. Maybe shopping this way is the secret. I LOVE the yellow temples. I am a contact lens wearer but love to wear my glasses at times and I currently need new ones. This is such a fun style and I'll be checking out this website! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit leery of the idea of eyeglass shopping in this fashion too. But it really did work and it was fun. Enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. Those glasses look great on you, I got mine a few weeks ago and wear them all the time. That's a really pretty top on you too, you look great in yellow, one of my favorite colors :)
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nora. I'm having a great time sporting my new specs. I'm looking forward to adding more to my collection. The top was purchased from a small vintage store in Claremont.

      Delete
  7. Those frames compliments the shape of your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy with the result :)

      Delete
  8. Those look really good on you. I wear glasses and used to hate wearing them, but there has definitely been a shift in perception regarding eyeglasses.

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, LV. I actually enjoy wearing mine as a part of my overall look.

      Delete
  9. When I was a child , I would have loved wearing a pair of sight glasses, but I could perfectly see at that time... Now that I need a pair... well, I am not sure they suit my face!
    Yours are very nice! The classic frame is lovely on you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan there are so many options. I'm positive you'll find many frames to suit your face.

      Delete
  10. I love your glasses and they look really great on you! I can't afford more than one pair and they cost more than I have ever spent on shoes, more than I spent on my wedding dress. I don't mind only having one pair and suspect that if I had more than one I would end up with a preference anyhow and wear one pair more often. I do know of people who have had good experiences with online sources for glasses but I am not yet brave enough to try it. I have crooked ears so fitting glasses to my face is really finicky. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, I guess the crooked ears would make it a bit difficult.

      Delete
  11. Love those glasses on you! The yellow detailing on the side is so fun! xo Andrea

    Boho Bunnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Andrea. I also love the yellow stems.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda