3.15.2015

Madam Blueberry

When my sons were toddlers, they enjoyed a Biblical based, animated series called VeggieTales. They adored the imaginative, vegetable inspired characters like Larry the Cucumber, Bob the Tomato, and my favorite - Madam Blueberry. Each story had an encouraging lesson for the young, as well as the more seasoned individual. As a matter of fact, the story of Madam Blueberry resonated with me the most. As the story goes, the Berry was very sad and spent most of her time whining about the things she didn't have. She also kept pictures of the items she wants that belong to her neighbors. Enters a shady character from a large retail store. He convinces the Berry to head over to Stuff Mart so that she can shop her sadness away. In the end, her greed caused her to buy so much stuff, that she overstuffed her home and it exploded. Leaving her without anything.

This story definitely spoke to me. I remember the time when accumulating more and more things was the way I nurtured my hurts. Then I realized, I want my closet to be a happy place of fond memories and intelligent choices. The idea of wearing something that gave me sad thoughts was no longer appealing. "I bought this shirt when (insert name) pissed me off." Or, "I purchased this necklace the day I was laid-off from work." Nope, this is not what I want my wardrobe to represent! So I made a change for the good. Stay to the end and see one of the ways I nurture Glenda. In the meantime, enjoy my latest look that consist of favorites that I adore...my custom blue skirt seen HERE and HERE; my silver slippers; a great white t-shirt and simple accessories to give the look personality. Enjoy!


Today's Look - Blue skirt: Custom made; Double V-neck t-shirt: Kohl's; Amira Silver Pumps: WHBM (minimal sizes available); INC Silver Chain Belt: Macy's; Clutch: Juicy Couture: Options Shop Style 
  






Nurture Thyself
I realize the importance of nurturing myself in a way that doesn't cause more undo stress or harm to me and my family's well being. In this stage in life, with having two school age sons, over spending isn't an option. Nor do I want it to be. Instead, I take pleasure in the simple, more gentile way of living. Lately I've found myself giddy over a delicate tea by  Harney & Sons called Blueberry Green (How appropriate. Right?). The light flavor has notes of lemongrass, blueberry and vanilla, and is absolutely heaven scent sent. The fragrance alone is enough to put a smile on your face. I'm reminded of the fresh blueberry pie my grandmother use to make...a scent that lingered in the air long after the last bite was consumed...sweet, tangy and ever so present. Yum. Whether you drink the tea iced or hot, if you pair it with a light cookie (I prefer a macaroon or a Pepperidge Farm Bordeaux) your senses will be delighted. I promise.



Forget Stuff Mart. Find something more satisfying to ease away discomforts. You and your wallet will appreciate it. To make you smile, stay tuned for Madam Blueberry singing "I'm So Blue" {wink}


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Shoe & Tell (Style Nudge)
Share-in-Style
Whitney Nic James
Photographs by Freddy and Glenda are the property of So What to Twenty!

38 comments:

  1. Stuff Mart! That's so cute and made me laugh. I think they should rename all the stores into stuff marts. :) I love how this outfit seems so harmonious on you, Glenda! Gorgeous skirt, and the silver accessories are perfect. So very you! I so agree with you - only happy memories, preferably not only in our wardrobes, but all around and within us! Harney & Sons makes delicious tea. Such an inviting picture, I can just see you having a relaxing time with the cup of tea. Enjoy your Sunday! It's a rainy one here, good time to catch up with far away friends. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We now call Target and all types of super stores Stuff Mart....a family joke. I enjoy the ease of this outfit. Absolutely fuss free and can take me to many occasions. And I agree - happy memories all around us :)

      Delete
  2. I love this post...I think it is my favorite so far. First of all the outfit is gorgeous...refreshing..bright and beautiful! Second, I love the idea of only having clothes in the closet which make me happy...I understand how the frumpy, dreary and ill-fitting made me feel. Last, we are Veggie Tale lovers as well!! My children loved it and I hope my grandchildren will. Wonderful post ....right down to the tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you so very much. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I really enjoyed writing it. Not being conceited but it made me smile.

      Delete
  3. Love the Madame Berry story and the trips to StuffMart, that does speak volumes!
    I am glad you are editing your wardrobe , and you life, so that it brings you joy and not fuss!
    Very Glad!
    I adore your custom made skirt, it is a jewel in that royal blue. I love the way it swished when you walk. I adore the pairing with the simple tee, chain belt-very chic- and silver shoes- to die for!
    Sitting on the blue bench, you think of everything !
    Chic, lovely and sort of Zen..
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, I'm discovering that this skirt seems to meld so perfectly with my wardrobe. I just love it!

      Delete
  4. Madam Blueberry no more.

    This look is brilliant. Simple pieces put together that leads to excellence! I love simplicity.. it's the best and the most sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can smell the sweet blueberry tea from here. I also love the fabric in that swishy skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name of the fabric is called peach skin. Isn't that strange? Anyway, I love it too...and the tea :)

      Delete
  6. Right on! I loved the VT series that my kids watched growing up. They were choked with so many great lessons for young and seasoned as you put it.

    I love your lesson here of not buying things to sooth a hurt, thereby creating a wardrobe of pain! OUCH!
    Thank you for your posts as they always hit home, yet lift and encourage! You look stunning as always by the way...beautiful skirt with great movement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Shon. I'm glad the posts have been uplifting and encouraging. I wouldn't want it any other way :)

      Delete
  7. this skirt looks amazing! what a wonderful bright blue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I love this outfit!! I love flowy skirts and the way they move. The color is fabulous and the whole look is classy, yet fun! Okay, so I have to comment on the VeggieTale story that went on to become how you shopped for clothes once upon a time. I laughed (I mean this in a good way!) when I read that "I bought this shirt when....." I could so relate to retail therapy like that!! So many times I have done that to soothe my pain and made things way worse because on top of the reminder of the problem du jour, there was the buyer's remorse! I stopped doing this too, and isn't it funny that when you stop, you end up spending a few meaningful minutes pondering, "Do I really need this in my wardrobe or is there something else going on here?" I'm not 100% there yet, but things have greatly improved with the retail therapy! Great post! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand what you're saying. I was the same, exact way. I had to put an end to it before I drove my family into dire straits. Now when I hurt, I write about it in a pretty journal, exercise, read an encouraging book...other things. It feels so much better than buying something that I really do not want but is simply putting a bandaid on an ouch. Good for you for recognizing it too :)

      Delete
  9. You look so beautiful and your skirt brings out the blue sky in the photos! Perfection! Peace! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this outfit, you look so fresh and ready for spring! I am dying to try the blueberry green tea that you recommend...I have been on a green tea kick lately and this one sounds delightful!!! Thanks so much for sharing!
    xo,
    Monica
    http://GlamVolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is, Monica. You're going to LOVE it!

      Delete
  11. You look as a lady. I like very much your skirt and sandals. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My, what a stunning shade of blue that is! Looks beautiful. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Melissa, it truly is a lovely color. Thank you!

      Delete
  13. You look Royal in this blue skirt and that cup of tea looks soothing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning!
    Have a nice day!
    Angela Donava
    http://www.lookbooks.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I grew up watching Veggie Tales, so that reference is dear to me (I can hear the "I'm so blue" song playing now!). It's so easy to fall into shopping therapy, but I agree that not only does it not help money wise, but it doesn't heal anything else either. And closets get rather full... Love the skirt. A beautiful vintage look that you pull off with confidence and glamour. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, wonderful...someone else knows about Veggie Tales. Thank you so very much for your kind words.

      Delete
  16. So good! It's true the clothes would have bad memories. I'm not much of a shopper so don't get caught up in this, but the message is great ! Love your blue and silver and the tea sounds yummy. xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the tea is absolutely delicious. I think I'm addicted.

      Delete
  17. Again...so beautiful. You are an inspiration (and your sister a magician). Love the outfit (as you would guess). Now I don't stuff my wardrobe with more and more because I am sad. But because I am so happy. What is the remedy for that?
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I don't have a remedy for that. That's a definite twist on things.

      Delete
  18. I love the easy elegance of your outfit, love the feminine touch, and those heels are TDF!
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lenya. I don't feel very pulled together if I have to fuss with what I'm wearing.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda