1.11.2015

Rips with Glitz

Truth be told, it wasn't until the past decade that I became fond of blue jeans. I know I'm going to receive some scolding comments on this statement but, I always viewed jeans as the lazy persons fall-back item for dressing. I live in Southern California and jeans are so prevalent that an actual style of dress is based off of them - California Casual. In other words, wear your denim and doll them up a bit. Jeans to work; jeans to a play (with a great top and heels, of course), jeans to an art opening, jeans to church. Jeans, jeans, jeans. Yes indeed, in Cali, if your closet consist of several options of jeans, then your wardrobe is good-to-go.

Like I mentioned above, I wasn't really fond of wearing denim until recent years. Since I could remember, I was the type of girl who found fashion conformity to be atrocious, and since everyone was wearing them, I wanted no part of it. The 80s were my high school years, and was also the era of the great designer jean. Remember Jordache Jeans, Gloria Vanderbilt and Sassoon? I remember having discussions with friends about what we were going to wear to impress the guys for our first day of school as freshmen. Almost all of them said one of the top designers jeans. All except little ol' me. Instead, for my first day as a freshmen, I chose to wear Bermuda shorts, argyle socks, penny loafers and a polo shirt. As the seasons changed and the weather grew cooler, one of my most memorable ensembles was built around a wonderful pair of oatmeal colored jodhpurs (that my beloved mother made for me), riding boots and a neatly tailored white button down. Boy, did I receive lots of stares and eye-rolling. In other words, jeans were simply out of the question, and while others dawned their denim, I used it as an opportunity to stand out from the crowd.  


Fast forward 30 years: I can pinpoint my change in attitude toward wearing jeans around the same time I became a busy mom with two bouncing boys. No longer was I engulfed in the fashion world, rather, my new life consisted of T-ball practices, soccer games, sitting in the bleachers while my sons performed this sport or that band competition. Suddenly, jeans seemed to be the right fashion choice for my current lifestyle. Before I knew it, my closet boasted a wide array of blue jean choices...boyfriends, skinny, low-rise (after losing the baby weight), cropped, classic, overalls, dark washed, acid rinsed...you get the point. I had joined the blue jean brigade. But even with my obvious change, there was and still is quite a bit of the Glenda that needs to shine through. Even with all my denim wearing, I still manage to doll them up with pieces that make me feel a little giddy on the inside. NEVER, and do I mean NEVER will you catch me wearing jeans with a simple t-shirt and athletic trainers. Instead, I choose to make my jean-days sing a little with touches that make the look more interesting. Sometimes the touches are subtle and sometimes it'll slap you in the face. Nevertheless, I find the need to add interest to the over-exposed concept called blue jeans.


Today's Look - Striped Sparkle Top is J.Crew and won on eBay, Boyfriends: Loft (similar option), Belt: Michael Kors via TJ Maxx, Loafers: Sam Edelman via Marshalls, Baseball Cap: H&M (new style option): Backpack: Isabelle Vegan Handbags. Signet Ring: J.Crew (old), Watch is Citizen, Horseshoe Bracelet: Polka Dots & Moonbeams.



  

There you have it, friends, the story behind my need to dress-up the denim. Perhaps my need is one of my little quirks. And believe me when I say I have many. But nonetheless, it is a need that I must fulfill when I wear them. Tell me, how do you do denim? Are you a jean and t-shirt kind of person or do you wear your rips with glitz{wink}

Subscribe to So What to Twenty via email and never worry about missing a single post!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:

Link Up: Visible Monday
Photographs by Freddy 

If you haven't viewed The Best of 2014 Fashion & Inspirational Lookbook, click HERE to do so. Enjoy!

32 comments:

  1. Love the way you put this together! The perfect way to dress up denim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those white loafers with the jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rips with glitz is so fun to say. And you wear it well. I can sympathize with the jean thing. We moved to California from New York and I did not even own a pair of jeans. Now it's pretty much my uniform. But you're so right. It's fun to make it your own. Jordache. How funny. I remember those awful commercials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to take fashion trips down memory lane. I had a pair of Jordache. I wore them very tight and unable to breathe. Welcome to Cali, the land of denim and flip flops.

      Delete
  4. The beauty about jeans is they can be dressed up or down. I practically live in them. Hats off to you for taking this distressed jeans to another level :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you are so right about the versatility of denim.

      Delete
  5. I love the way you put this look together. I can go both ways with jeans, depending on the occasion or the mood that I am in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm learning to appreciate the versatility.

      Delete
  6. It's lovely the way you follow your heart when dressing - so what to the "rules" and the crowd! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, you look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could wear a paper bag and still look Chic and those Jeans look darn good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me find a paper bag to test your theory ;)

      Delete
  8. Of course you wanted to distinguish yourself from the rest. That is you. Remember I told you that the true Glenda was already visible before you started your soul journey? And you were highly involved in fashion. So you want to stand out in the crowd.
    I never was like that but like you, I never wear jeans with a simple Tshirt and sneakers. I use jeans to "cool down" other more outspoken items I am wearing. Like a restful piece in the middle, like a blanc canvas.
    Love your top by the way.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Greetje, that is a perfect description for how I wear my jeans...that cool down piece.

      Delete
  9. I have soooooo many jeans! They really are a wardrobe essential for me. Loving your torn pair :-) Very edgy and casual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. Over the years I have acquired quite a few pairs too :)

      Delete
  10. I love denim because its so versatile, you can dress it up or down depending on the wash and style. You look amazeballs in this outfit, Glenda! BTW, I sent you a request to start pinning your looks on my Pinterest board, Fabulous Fashion Bloggers Over 40. I hope you will join me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delilah, yes, I got the invite. Thank you very much. I'm in! I'm glad you like the outfit :)

      Delete
  11. This is a great outfit and looks very summery, which of course makes it something I have to hold off on wearing for four months at least. It really suits you and you always look like Glenda no matter what sort of outfit you put on. I am the same age and also spent my high school years in the designer jeans era and the basic uniform of my peers was jeans, tee shirt/sweater and sneakers. Usually Nikes. I wore midi skirts and blouses, perhaps not so much out of a love of fashion as a deep belief that had nothing in common with my peers so why would I want to look like them? Following high school I did begin to wear jeans more often and really don't recall what I wore with them but they were always a casual outfit and I would not have paired them with a fancy top or shoes in order to go to a special function. California Casual is a look that made its way up the coast to my part of the world too and while it isn't my main style I confess I do see the merits of it. The simplicity is appealing and I can't deny that the right pair of jeans are comfortable and easy to wear. I tend to pair mine with boots and a sweater in the colder weather and sandals and a tee shirt in the warmer weather. I have yet to embrace the ripped versions though I do prefer my denim faded or greyed rather than super dark and I am on the hunt for denim other than blue, which is harder for me to find in a good fit. I want grey and brown, not bright colours.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawna! I hope you're holding up in the cold winter months. When I emerged from the bedroom in this outfit, my husband looked at me and said, "Is this the outfit you want me to photograph?" For some reason, he thought I wasn't in the outfit yet. I don't know why. Maybe he thought it was too casual. Oh well. For myself, dressing was always a way for me to express my individuality, rather than a way to conform. In a world that wants conformity, I felt like my fashion choices were the one way I could be unique. We have that in common :)
      I recently purchased a really dark pair from Loft and I absolutely LOVE them. The fit is perfection. The ripped ones I only wear when I'm going for a certain look. Because they're so distressed, for some reason, I find the need to mix them with more ornate pieces. I cant imagine just throwing them on with a simple t-shirt and trainers. That would be simply awful to me. Good luck with your search of colored denim. That trend seems to come and go. I can't recall seeing them lately...

      Delete
  12. Glenda,,
    I love the way you described your freshman outfit with the argyle socks. That is just so Glenda and coincidentally, some want like I. I do understand and tend to also, dress up my jeans with heels or jewelry. I don't think it's together. I guess I am more of a girly girl, and I also do not like dressing in the uniform of the day.
    That said, I adore this outfit with the sequined striped T and those great distressed jeans. Love the ivory loafers too,
    You remain a consistent inspiration to me and having just come back from California, I can appreciate what you just said about the California style code....
    I Really love this look on You Glenda,. There is no surprise there!
    Kisses, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a girly-girl, hence the need to always make my jeans say, "I'm a woman." I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here in Cali. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else :)

      Delete
  13. I think AutoCorrect made a funny mistake. I mean to add, that I also have never worn sneakers and bluejeans together, still thinking of those argyle socks and jodhpurs. 😄
    Xx elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to confess I am not a fan of jeans anymore... first of all, I don't find them comfortable, and then , they really are a sort of uniform in Italy!
    On the other and, they make it quicker to get ready as you have solved the problem of ... "what can I wear with this blouse today??" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care for them either, Dan. But now, because my life is so involved with my two teenage sons...they are a must have item.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Very glad you finally got over it! Charming combnination for your rippy-jeans debut, and as always, you got it just right. The striped glittler tee is just grand with them ... and grand is the whole effect. Welcome to the world wearing denim, You still stand out beautifully, so that's alright!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Jan. You are ever so eloquent :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda