1.06.2015

Layers

I was once described by an admirer as an onion. When I first heard the comment, I was taken aback and wondered what it meant. Was it an insult? No, it was not, rather, a great compliment. To be referred to as an onion is saying that you're a person with many layers. It was nice to be thought of in such a manner. After all, who wouldn't want to be seen as someone with depth verses being one-dimensional, or even worse...shallow. I suppose the person reached this conclusion when each time we spoke, I revealed something new about myself.

I think about an onion and when we peel away that thin outer layer, there is so much of the powerful and fragrant vegetable that is available for us to enjoy. Aren't we the same as an onion? We have this outer layer that we show to the general public. Unless intimacy is established, most of us only allow that outer layer to show. However, once we break through that barrier, there are numerous, enticing layers to be discovered by others...and ourselves. Unfortunately, we often will not allow others to see the other layers. What's even more disturbing is that often times, we refuse to remove the top shell so that we can get to know ourselves more intimately. After all, getting to know yourself can be quite a daunting task. I'm speaking from experience. It was very intimidating to tell the world about my inner struggles and past hurts. Nonetheless, when I finally made that all important move to peel away that thin layer, I discovered incredible elements about myself that I would have never known unless I was willing to start digging deep. Sure, when we peel onions, there will always be tears. But when the tears stop - Oh what a wonderful delight to enjoy the sweet, aromatic flavors of the onion.


For today's look, I'm dressed in layers. The dress that I'm wearing is a layered dress that I purchased from Kohls last year. The last time seen in this post called Delicate. The dress has a thin outer layer that gives it a multi-dimensional look. Since it was cool the day of this photo shoot, I opted to layer on top the dress a cashmere black turtleneck. To top the look off, I'm wearing my faux trench from H&M. Last seen on this post called Perfectly Curated. My purse was purchased from a quirky little village store. The sandals, which you have seen time and time again, are Michael Kors. Sorry, my friends, but I'm wearing faithful pieces that I've owned for some time. Unfortunately there are no links.

 




Exposing ourselves makes us vulnerable. Right? Right. Vulnerability is thought of as being weak. So because we often fear being seen as weak, we shun the idea of removing that outer layer. I now think differently on the idea of being vulnerable. In my opinion, and I'm speaking from my own experiences, becoming vulnerable was empowering. By removing that stigma of weakness, peel away that outer layer, I exposed myself to a much greater way of living, thinking and being. I like my many layers. They taste oh so good{wink}

If you haven't viewed The Best of 2014 Fashion & Inspirational Lookbook, click HERE to do so. Enjoy!


Subscribe to So What to Twenty via email and never worry about missing a single post!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:


Photographs by Freddy

24 comments:

  1. What an interesting comparison. Definitely something to think about. I love your outfit, a little envious right now with temps hovering around 18 degrees that you're wearing open-toe shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra. It's the nature of Cali weather. You can never quite put all of your summer wearables away. There are always pockets of hot in and there. Yesterday and today it is 85. However by the weekend we're expecting rain.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Have a great rest of the week!

      Delete
  2. Another Beautiful look here and I love reading your written word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neti, I appreciate you and your kind words!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that you came to this conclusion, Glenda. Very few people do. Being vulnerable simply means being genuine, real. Joy, wounds, everything. That's the only way of living that interests me. I'm tired of seeing armors - fashion by the way is one of the most popular armors people wear, women especially I think. Fashion, style - it's all fun, but I want to see eyes, I want to see soul, I want to hear words that come from hearts, not from brains...

    It's a lovely layered look, and your sandals are beautiful - they add a delicately chic touch to your outfits. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I just had that discussion. I have known a particular person for years, but in all actuality, I don't know her at all. It's always just been on the surface. A very shallow relationship. In my mind, I can only refer to this person as an acquaintance, but not a friend.

      Delete
  4. You are a very strong woman, Glenda! I admire your honesty. I love the onion analogy.
    Stephanie
    Positively Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great outfit! I like the turtleneck over the dress, clever use of pieces, and creates and entirely different look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! With the cold spell we had, I found it necessary to layer my summer clothing.

      Delete
  6. I agree with the concept of onion. It just doesn't apply to me. Neither am I shallow. I am just 1 big or rather huge sheet. You see me, everything of me, all at once. Lots of different sides but forced upon you in one big swoop. Some people hate that or are intimidated. Most people like the openess after a while (apparently I am an acquired taste haha). Although I am vulnerable like all people, I have never been afraid of that. My soul is made of rubber. I think of myself as blessed.
    As for the outfit, I totally forgot this dress. Had to go back to the comments of that post to see that I did comment on it. (PS tip: when you link to something, you should tick the box that says "open in a new window" or similar words. That way they stay on your blog when they close the post.)
    As for the shoes: I never mind seeing them. You are so right to wear them time after time. And the bag.... I would have bought it instantly. I love this shape. Just as much as I like the leopard hatcase bag of Elle.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your analogy, Greetje! I can see your description of who you are, even through the world of blogging. You are genuine.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, I know which bag of Elle's you're speaking of. I love it too! Thank you for the tip on the links!

      Delete
    3. I am still looking for a similar bag haha.

      Delete
  7. You are always so stunning!!

    http://www.delabellesbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenda,
    Lovely analog about onions and the self, very true! I, for one, and happy that you peeled one off so we can know you better!
    I love this outfit today. the sweater over the dress is such a creative and effective switch up, it is gorgeous with the black contrast, and i love the overcoat!
    Further, I will NEVER tire of those shoes.
    I think you teach by example; that one doesn't have to keep buying and buying- one fabulous pair of shoes makes every outfit sizzle!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. Love the look & being an onion is def a good thing. I think as we grow older we gain more layers & more experience. Great post & those shoes are giving me life! Love them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Love your comment about the shoes :)
      Yes, experience adds depth and many, many layers.

      Delete
  10. I think I'm an onion personality too....many many layers it makes us interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure, Roxy. We're very interesting.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda