1.03.2015

Continue...

I popped over to visit Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life to answer the question that has been on many lips for the New Year. The question being - What is your word of the year? It didn't take long for me to determine what my word would be. As a matter of fact, it was quite easy to decide.  As many of you know, 2014 was a very poignant year of discovery for myself. After 48 years, I finally made the decision to release the pain that I had been dragging around for years. When I made that leap, an entire world of self-discovery was revealed. If you missed my series of discovery, please read about it on the following posts:
  1. CONFIDENT
  2. DARK LIQUID
  3. ROAD CLOSED
  4. SHINE
  5. EMERGE
I have discovered so much about myself that at times, I find it hard to contain myself! I would most definitely mark 2014 as the year of Discovery, while 2015 is the year I will CONTINUE. Continuing with my path of self-discovery, Continuing to make room for my joy, Continuing to find peace in places that don't seem at all pleasurable, Continuing to realize that I'm quite valuable, Continuing to reach for my goals because I now know that I'm never to old to make my dreams a reality, and Continuing to navigate the storms of life, while being certain that one day, the seas will calm yet again. It may have taken me quite a while to get to this point in my life, but now that I'm here, I'm ecstatic about this new chapter in my life. 

This week, like other students all around the world, my sons will return to school after the Christmas holiday. I think about my oldest son who graduates from high school this summer, and will then begin a new chapter in his young life - college. After 13 years of musical training, he will CONTINUE on with his studies. However now, he finally gets to eat the solid food. If you think of school in the same way as you think of a baby advancing in its ability to consume foods, then yes, college is when you finally get to eat the good stuff....this is when he finally receives his musical training from the professors, the doctors, the top players. As you could probably imagine, he is overjoyed!



For today's look, in the spirit of education and continuing to move forward in spite of the sometimes unpredictable stormy seas of life, I decided to take my photos at a community college while wearing a collegiate/nautical inspired ensemble.

Today's Look - Skirt: Loft (Lou & Grey. Found on clearance for $4.88), Black Turtleneck by Anne Klein (Options at WHBM), J.Crew Peacoat (mine is past season. Newer Options at Nordstrom.com), Black Tights: Nordstrom, Isabelle Vegan Backpack/Purse: TJ Maxx, Studded Weejuns: G.H. Bass (a few seasons back), Polish is Claire by Zoya




My high school class ring.

Specs are Welty by Warby Parker in Plum Marblewood
 


Though my son and I are in two completely different stages in our lives, I feel that they somehow intersect...We are both excited about what is to come. We are both ready to bring out our fork and knife so that we can cut the lessons into bite size chunks to make it easy to digest. We both ready for the real food. We are both ready to CONTINUE moving forward in this amazing journey called life{wink}

If you haven't viewed The Best of 2014 Fashion & Inspirational Lookbook, click HERE to do so. Enjoy!


Subscribe to So What to Twenty via email and never worry about missing a single post!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:

Link Up: Share-in-Style
Photographs by Freddy

44 comments:

  1. At some point we all come to that road in life when we have to let go of certain people, situations and things that keeps us in bondage in order to move forward. I am happy for you that 2014 was the year of freedom for you. I am sure you are spreading your wings and just soaring to new heights. I love your choice of words for 2015. As I reflect over 2014, I have a few words that mean a lot to me for 2015 that I will post about this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a triumphant occasion. I can honestly feel the wind beneath my wings. It's such a great feeling that I want to hold on to forever.

      Delete
  2. It seems as though 2014 was a year of discovery for so many of us. Up top!! Look at you. The preppy mom. I'm crazy for your shoes. Putting spectators on my wish list. And I'm so excited for your son. I just spent the holidays with both of my kids home. My son is at college and it is amazing how he has become so much MORE of himself. Full of joy and confidence. I wish that for your son as well. AND here's to a wonderful New Year. You are on a very positive path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been slowing releasing my son. His senior year has been very active with his musician friends. Glenda wants to hold on tight, but I have to let him fly. I'm his biggest cheerleader. I always wanted that in my life. At least I can cheer for my sons. Rah Rah Rah!!!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I am not starting over again in 2015 but like you I am continuing my journey to become the best possible version of me that I can be! Great post, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rock, Melissa. I'm looking forward to more from you. Thank you for continuing to inspire.

      Delete
  4. Great word...CONTINUE...love that this is your choice! Mine is COURAGE...it is time to take a farther step out of my comfort zone! I am looking forward to seeing what lies ahead for all of us, Glenda. You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for us all as well. Courage is indeed a powerful word.

      Delete
  5. Wishing you all the very best in 2015! We're both 48 and continuing our journey!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn we seem to have much in common. Didn't you also tell me you majored in Marketing/Merchandising?

      Delete
  6. I love the word 'Continue' May 2015 bring you all that you strive for. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do look (and sound) like you are eager to continue studying - at the school of your life, Glenda. Elegant as ever! I adore this skirt on you. Happy journeys to you and your son! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very eager, Natalia. I love receiving new revelations that can take me to the next level. I've been spending a great deal of time in a quiet space, just writing whatever comes to mind. It's interesting to look back over the pages.

      Delete
  8. This is a post that makes me stop and reflect... The word CONTINUE is full of meanings and a very positive one. My word is ENJOY, which for me is the importance of appreciate every single moment of life...I totally agree:life is an amazing journey!

    Have a Good, Joyfull start of the Year, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dan, life is amazing. It is up to us all to ENJOY it!

      Delete
  9. Such a great word. I look forward to watching as you continue your journey towards self discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Self discovery is amazing! I feel that would be the perfect word for 2014 for me as well. It's so funny how we try to fit in when we are young but as we grow, we find that true happiness is self discovery. I do a lot of creative writing to help me along the way. Great post and outfit. Wishing you the best 2015!

    http://www.delabellesbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of fitting in is the way we are taught. To be different is often discounted. This is so sad because it is the different people who stand out and make things happen.

      Delete
  11. Glenda,
    I love this chic black and white outfit, down to the mini stripes and those perfect shoes,
    Yes, your son is now on quite the journey.... it is exciting and i know you are proud.
    Keep challenging yourself, because as you do, you challenge us as well!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, I hope you enjoyed/are enjoying California! The weather has been so clear and beautiful. You came at just the right time.

      Both of my sons bring me so much joy. I delight in their uniqueness.

      Keep challenging yourself, because as you do, you challenge us as well - I will tape this comment to my heart. Thank you, Elle.

      Delete
  12. Yes, "continue!" To grow, to learn. It's the best way to live to the fullest. I love those two-tone shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, Continue to grow and learn - absolutely, YES!

      Delete
  13. Great post Glenda. Continue the journey, the journey to inspire others, to be the great mum that you are. Elegant outfit. Love it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post Glenda and this word. I chose mine today too! It is GROW. Stepping out of that comfort zone! Have an awesome day!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grow is such a great word, Robin, and I suppose it fits in with continue...Continue to grow. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  15. Cute outfit sis. I love a nice classic black coat. If I had a word for the year it would be "Peace". Happy New Year to you. #styleWERKshop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacie for your comment. Yes, Peace, I wrap that word around myself daily. I love it!

      Delete
  16. Good on you Glenda. And you have styled yourself completely right for the challenges that lie ahead: like a crossing between a student and a teacher. Love the bag and your nails!!
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greetje. I love your comment - like a crossing between a student and a teacher. There is an old saying here in the States that says, "When the student is ready, the teacher will arrive." Meaning, when you're ready to learn, the teacher is always ready to teach. I'm ready!

      Delete
  17. What a wonderful word to choose for your new year. I do believe we are never too old to have dreams and to follow them. Love your outfit, especially the bag. Perfect choice for the location. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra! I'm glad you like the outfit.

      I have been saying CONTINUE to myself for all sorts of things. As an example, while exercising, at points I want to quit because I'm so tired. But then, I'll say to myself - CONTINUE! Then I get a second wind.

      Delete
  18. Dear Glenda, as I comment on this post of yours I find myself heading back home (my better half is driving the car while I read your post) from dropping off my daughter at her college dorm. I enjoyed having her home for the holidays and now it won't be until the summer that I will get to have her back home so you can imagine how I feel right now:-( Yes, they grow fast and it is now when she gets to eat the real food of life as you described bove. She has become a responsible, self-sufficient young lady and I am very proud of her. Loved your post very much. What a better way to celebrate education and self growth than getting your pictures taken at a local college wearing preppy and super chic clothes. I love everything you are wearing and I really adore those studded shoes. I would love to have a pair like that. Once again I want to let you know that I feel super honored that I met you during a time of so much personal growth in your life and that I also got to celebrate with you by reading all your amazing posts. I feel so blessed and I am very thankful that I found your blog when I needed it the most:-) You are such a remarkable, classy and beautiful woman and you continue to be an inspiration to many of us and I thank you for that. Have a blessed week my sweet friend. XOXO, Jeannette

    www.msjeannieandhercloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, I can only imagine how you feel to separate from your daughter again. Soon that will be me. I am thankful that he will be studying here in California. I don't know what I would do if he was studying out of state or in another country. I take comfort in knowing that he is still near.

      I must say that I enjoy the ease and comfort of this ensemble. I can see wearing it to many different activities. It was nice to have the chance to wear a coat. However the past two days, it has been in the 80s. Now I'm in shorts and sandals.

      I thank you for your loving and kind words of encouragement. When I write the posts, I am truly writing for myself. But, it is always my hopes that what I write will touch others.

      Have a beautiful week, Jeannie!

      Delete
  19. Terrific look, Glenda. I see you are already wearing marsala on your nails, looks beautiful.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I didn't realize that. I purchased that color way before it was announced. It's called Claire by Zoya.

      Delete
  20. You look like a Freshman here and glowing. Wait til your Son moves out of your house for college life. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to think about that, Neti!

      Delete
  21. You cannot be more gorgeous if you tried, dear Glenda.
    Happy New year
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good morning Glenda, time to VOTE
    HAVE A LOVELY THURSDAY
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm loving that backpack and what an awesome steal for the skirt! Very fitting for your theme :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda