1.08.2015

49

On this day, 49 years ago, Glenda entered the world. Yep, Happy Birthday to Me!! Almost a New Year baby, but not quite. But still, the fact that my birthday is so close to January 1st, it is doubly a great way to begin the year. In our family, the motto is - Let the Celebrating Continue! What am I doing to celebrate this last year in my 40s? Well technically, we already did on January 1 by having dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in Old Town Pasadena. The restaurant is called Il Fornaio, and they have been involved in many of our family milestones...Mother's Day, Anniversaries, Birthdays...you name it. The food is delicious, the atmosphere is exquisite, and the location is perfection for those who may want to do a little shopping after their meal.

Since we have already had the big celebratory moment, today, I have chosen to indulge in more individual pleasures. You'll notice the calendar in my hand. Thanks to Debra from the blog called A Modern Translation, her recent post called Back to Paper, reinforced a tradition that I chose to hang-on to many, many years ago - using a paper calender or day planner. Every year, on my birthday, I go in search of my yearly calendar booklet. Like Debra, tried as I may, I simply can't get use to utilizing my smartphone to house my daily activities. Something about using a paper calendar is very nostalgic. And besides, since I'm the gatekeeper for the entire family calendar, it makes it much easier for me to see what's going on in our often busy lives. I enjoy my search for the perfect one. Always pretty. Always whimsical. And always functional. This is my gift to me. It's so personal that I wouldn't dare let someone else decide which calendar is suitable for Glenda. Only I can make that decision. When you see which one I selected, if you have been reading So What to Twenty for some time, you'll immediately relate to why this one was chosen.


For today's look, I'm wearing clothing that compliments the radiant, blue Southern California skies and the cheerful colors in my new calendar. In addition, to accent the clothing, I have selected to wear brilliant silver because this is a year that I will shine. And by the way, I'm wearing a vintage 60's top. Of course, since I was born in the 60s.

Today's Look: Wide-leg Trousers by Jones New York; 60s vintage sweater; Jerome Oxford by Sam Edelman; Belt: Banana Republic; Calendar: Barnes & Noble; Aviators: Loft; Socks: Loft




Notice the blue on the aviators


 
 


The front entrance into Il Fornaio
  
Good to the last bite

Courtyard where Il Fornaio is located

In my 49 years of life, I have grown to realize that it doesn't take bells and whistles to make me satisfied. Often times, it is the treasured items that you hold dear that make all the difference in the world. Today I turn 49. Let me mark that in my calendar {wink}

If you haven't viewed The Best of 2014 Fashion & Inspirational Lookbook, click HERE to do so. Enjoy!


Subscribe to So What to Twenty via email and never worry about missing a single post!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:


Photographs by Freddy

46 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! Look like you had a great time and gorg outfit!

    http://www.delabellesbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes, the celebration was fantastic!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday gorgeous friend! And many more!!
    Stephanie
    Positively Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Glenda! I usually say "Happy New Year" since this is what it means to you today ;)
    Great birthday outfit. And that butterflies calendar!! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I was so happy to find a calendar with butterflies :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Glenda!!!! I see you're wearing some shiny birthday shoes. All the better to step into a new year! I'm a big believer in keeping a paper planner. Several in fact. My daughter had her phone stolen and EVERYTHING was on there. She learned a lesson from her old mom, keep everything backed up in a real live planner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my fear too...that I'll lose my phone. I also just enjoy writing in my calendar in pretty colors. It makes me smile to have it :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Glenda!! May it be super special and you look fabulous! Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brightest birthday wishes Glenda! Happy, happy birthday to you! Of course you have butterflies on your calendar...perfect! I too use paper calendars and address books. I am finding them a little harder to find sadly. And yes, I also pick out my own, :) I have many, many friends that are Capricorns; a friend celebrated yesterday, and another has a birthday on Saturday. Cements the belief that we'll get along famously when we do get to meet in person one day...hopefully at that restaurant.

    You look brilliant in cobalt blue! Lovely yet powerful colours for your new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so divine, Sue! Yes, IL Fornaio would be the perfect spot to meet over lunch. It is fabulous and yet not too pretentious.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday, Glenda!! You look FANTASTIC in that color blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I'm beginning to really love this color :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Glenda! Have a spectacular day. Loving the silver shoes!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The shoes are also very comfortable. Another plus!

      Delete
  9. Awwww, happy birthday! This is the perfect outfit to celebrate, have such an amazing day!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you the happiest of birthday, Miss Fab! Here's to turning 49 in 2015! I'm right behind ya!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last year in our 40s. Look out 50 - HERE WE COME!!

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year and Birthday, Glenda!!

    You look beautiful as always. Enjoy and let the celebration continue!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday and wishing you many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Glenda!!! :-) You are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! You know what? Today is my birthday too. We share the same birthday! :) My mom has always been a HUGE Elvis fan and today is also his birthday so I almost ended up being named Priscilla. LOL. Thanks for the shout-out. I love your planner. It's so pretty. Your outfit is beautiful, love the top. Your dinner looks delicious. Happy Birthday again! Capricorns rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow, Debra! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! That is incredible. Yes, Capricorns rock :)

      Delete
  15. Happy Birthday Hun! You look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday, Glenda!!! It's women like you who take away my fear of getting older :-) You look amazing and you clearly enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! Stay healthy and you'll feel great about aging.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations birthday girl. You looked very good. Love the mixture of these items. Especially the silver shoes. I immediately noticed the butterflies on your calender. Your favourite.
    I am on the road too much and then my smartphone is much handier. But I hate it. I always enter appointments on the wrong day or time. And there is no proper overview. Paper is much better. The restaurant indeed looks ever so good. Wouldn't mind dining there.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greetje. I need to be able to open a book and see the activities in my face. I love my smartphone, but I also love the feel of paper. And yes, the food at Il Fornaio is perfection.

      Delete
  18. Happy happy birthday Glenda and many happy returns. May it be your best b_day ever.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday Glenda! Many blessings to you now and forever. You are certainly looking amazing, both outside and inside. And yes, I know the meaning of that beautiful butterfly calendar. You are a beautiful butterfly and I can't wait to see more of your transformations. Not that you are not in a great place in life right now but as humans, our growth never stops. I also use a paper calendar. I, like you, refuse to give up such beautiful manner of keeping my life organized. Love everything you are wearing today, from the vintage top to the silver shoes, it is all spot on. You look happy, realized, beautiful, complete and truly in love with life. And that is the best gift you can give to yourself; a fulfilled, whole and truly in love Glenda. A gift not to only yourself but to everyone around you. Happy birthday my friend and may this year be a memorable one for your and your loved ones. XOXO, Jeannette

    www.msjeannieandhercloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeannie! I look forward to more learning experiences. I'm looking forward to what is ahead. I will soar!

      Delete
  20. Happy birthday, dear Glenda!! You look smashing in your blue retro top, and butterflies are such a powerful and beautiful symbol. I am wishing you to open your gorgeous wings and fly as far and high as you dream to! All the very best to you, always xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Natalia. Thank you so very much :)

      Delete
  21. Happy birthday! You are gorgeous on these pics! Great style and stunning you!
    Have a nice day!
    Angela Donava
    http://www.lookbooks.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday my Dear Glenda. I am sorry I'm late for the party but I was at my Moms with no wi-Fi. Anyway. . . .Happy Everyday to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Glenda,
    happy birthday! I am sorry I missed it, ironically I was in your neck of them woods on January first for a wedding! Boy do I love SoCal! Lucky you to live there full time!
    I adore your vintage striped tee, mirroring those cobalt skies! Also love the wide leg trousers, I have been wanting a pair for ages.. I am glad you reminded me to looks for some.
    I am pleased you got your calendar, may each day be special, even if it is a quiet reflective day, and of course , extra special on days you choose to celebrate! And may you celebrate something each and every day!
    Love, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elle! Yes, get the trousers. They are so much fun to wear. And I'll have to agree...SoCal is the best :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda