12.22.2014

Christmas Memories


Decorating our family Christmas tree is the one part of Christmas that makes me laugh and cry simultaneously. You see, our tree is decorated with ornaments (some handmade and some from the stores) that chronicle my families life together. The handmade ornaments were created by my sons hands when they were toddlers and home with me, while some were made when they were in elementary school. As time marched on, and their little fingers grew and were no longer crafting, my family began the tradition of selecting ornaments that best represented our son's life for that year. We have ornaments that represent musical instruments, football, airplanes, artist palettes...you name it. It is quite an adventure for us to journey out after Thanksgiving to find our annual ornaments. But what a joy it is when we find the perfect ones!

This Christmas season, my oldest son, who will be leaving for college come fall 2015 said, "Mom, this Christmas, I want us to do all the things we did as kids because this is my last year as being a kid." I smiled and then I got teary eyed. So yes, this Christmas has been filled with us reliving the activities we enjoyed when our boys were much younger, and the experience has truly been a blast. As we sit fire-side playing family board games and watching Polar Express for the umpteenth time, my spirit is filled with so much joy because I know that my family is creating Christmas memories that our children will carry with them for a lifetime {wink}

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to you!

Subscribe to So What to Twenty via email and never worry about missing a single post!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+ 
Photograph by Glenda

 





13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tradition you started in your family, and what a precious time for you and your older son it is now, Glenda. Children fill our hearts with love, and some parts of their young years will always be in their and our present. But I do wish from time to time to literally be able to relive some of the moments! What's our life today, will be memories tomorrow, we are creating them as we speak.. :) May you and your family have a very happy holiday season! Merry Christmas! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! It's so nice to have those kinds of meaningful family traditions that you all can enjoy and pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Glenda. Wishing you and your family a very happy Christmas.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just edited a Christmas post like this, its what makes Christmas so special. Have a great one
    Regards Laurie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet of your son to request that. And what a lovely tradition, those ornaments. You are having a wonderful time. I can tell.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like your family is going to have a very special Christmas. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry, Merry Christmas to you, Glenda! So happy you're having these moments with your boys ... they won't be the last, but they do grow up way to fast. I wish you joy in every bite, every sip, every hug, every giggle, every snuggle and every sigh this season brings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post Glenda, as always:-) I can clearly see the beautiful relationship you have with your boys. You are and have been an amazing mom to them. Love the tradition you have of finding ornaments that represent an aspect of their lives. Very sweet and memorable. Have a very merry Christmas and many blessings to you and your family. XOXO, Jeannette

    www.msjeannieandhercloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful post Glenda! I have been trying to enjoy my kids so much this holiday season (they are 12 and 7) because it seems like time has been going by much faster the past two years. We just took them to see Santa at Macy's on Sunday and came home and watched 'The Polar Express!' I know you are cherishing this time with your sons, it is there in every gorgeous word of your writing. Merry Christmas to you and your family! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't really have traditions like that to be honest... We used to, but not anymore now that my brother and I are older. Happy holidays, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the Christmas tree my mother decorated in the garden when I was young...how many memories! Now my husband is the one in charge of getting the tree ready!
    Have a sweet , joyful Christmas time with your dears!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ☆:*´¨`*:.☆(¯`*•.¸,¤°´Merry Christmas, Glenda`°¤,¸.•*´¯)☆:*´¨`**:.☆

    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glenda,
    That is a sweet story. I am sure you must feel proud and fulfilled.
    It is wonderful to create memories and traditions that will last a life time, and beyond...
    Happy, Merry, and Cheer to you!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda