11.12.2014

Flying Trapeze

Have you ever stopped to think about how much trust we have to exhibit on a day-to-day basis? We trust that persons driving will obey the rules of the road; we trust that physicians will give us a proper diagnoses; we trust that chefs in the kitchen are sanitary; we trust that are banks will not misappropriate our funds; we trust that our friends will be there when we need them.

Recently I watched an episode of Sex in the City when Carrie is sent on an assignment to try the latest singles pastime in New York...swinging through the air on the flying trapeze. Try as she might, Carrie just can't allow herself to let go of the bar and allow her instructor to catch her. At the end of the show, Carrie returns once again to the flying trapeze, but still finds herself unable to let go and be caught by her instructor. However, as Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha cheer her on from the sidelines, she realizes that with friends like that, she'll always have a safety net. Today's look, which is a trapeze dress, is inspired from the Sex in the City episode and is dedicated to my girlfriends - my safety net.


Today's Look - Striped Trapeze Dress: Loft; Short-sleeved leather jacket: a vintage find;  Ankle Strap High Heel Boot: Loft; Tights by Hue; Aviators: Loft (Last season. Other options)







When I think about all that I've gone through in life - many happy moments and some not so happy moments, regardless, I always have my close friends to support, love and comfort me through it all. They make a wonderful safety net, and I hope that when my friends feel as if they're flying on a trapeze that I provide the same comfort for them(wink)

Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  twitter

All Photographs by Freddy Harrison

30 comments:

  1. Great look Glenda! I am a huge stripe fan and I love how you have paired it with black opaque tights and black boots. And, the leather is the icing on the cake!!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherie! I like this dress for its ability to carry through into every season. I can sure see wearing it in the summer with a cute pair of sandals, or spring with a pair of white canvas sneakers.

      Delete
  2. You look comfy and chic and that dress is so easy to wear. You rocked this look with the jacket and booties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neti! It's for sure a very versatile dress. I love it!

      Delete
  3. Oooh this is a really fun look! Black and white stripes + leather always work well together :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. I felt young and adventurous in this look :)

      Delete
  4. Yes i remenber that episode of SITC love that show. You are blessed to have good friends you can call your safety net.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking about this the other day actually, beautifully put! You know how much of a sucker I am for stripes and this dress is just perfect. Elegant, modern, and chic all rolled in to one!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cara! And extremely season appropriate. I can wear it spring, summer, winter or fall.

      Delete
  6. Glenda, what a fabulous dress! Looks like it would be so fun to wear and the boots are perfect with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very fun to wear and oh-so easy. Just throw it on and go!

      Delete
  7. I just got a dress like that, but mine is red and white. I love the simplicity of it and stripes is such a classy pattern. Thanks for the styling inspiration. You rocked it! :)

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Missy. I would love to have one in yellow and white too.

      Delete
  8. So cute. Definitely love it with the jacket. So funky that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daenel. I felt funky in it. Real hip :)

      Delete
  9. Love your stories behind your posts. The jacket is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Delilah. For me it has to be more than just about what we wear.

      Delete
  10. I also LOVE your stories and can say that I always!! read the whole post. Gorgeous story and beautiful outfit!

    have a wonderful day
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a sucker for Loft, you know I LOVE your outfit, your boots, ahhhhh and that jacket! I want it all right now!!! You look amazing! I also love reading your posts, there is always a great story along with the fashion!
    xo,
    Monica
    glamvolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall that you and I have Loft in common. I'm glad you like this look. They've been having some great promotions lately.

      Delete
  12. Glenda I love that *bad-ass-attitude* last photo. Great outfit anyway. Perfect styled with the leather vest. Awesome booties.
    Happy Friday girl
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lenya. There's just something about wearing leather that makes you feel bad ass :)

      Delete
  13. You look great! I love a good black and white look. So chic! I also am thankful for my girlfriends. They're the best.

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whitney. Yes to the girlfriends, for sure!

      Delete
  14. I love my friends. I cannot imagine that peope can live without them. So agreed.. a safety net.
    You OOTD is very noce. Love it with the vest/jacket over it. Even better than without. The boots make me drool.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the boots are very comfy. Thanks Greetj! I've seen your bond with your friends. It's so special.

      Delete
  15. Glenda,
    I love your message about trust, although I can personally say i do not trust the first two things you mention. Some doctors I trust, but I use them for guidance. I trust my body to tell me my diagnosis and level of well being,
    The dress is perfect on you. The stripe is bold, but the cut allows for movement, and that seems like a winning combo for my friend Glenda.
    I know we are only virtual friends, but I hope I am counted in your net. I see myself there; my threads are silk: small, delicate, but so much stronger than they appear.
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Elle. I guess to a certain level we have to trust other drivers and doctors, however putting into play our own insight.
      I'm in love with this simple, little dress. I think that I'll utilize it more in the warmer months though. The fabric is very lightweight, which gives it movement.
      And yes, we are friends. Your last statement sounds like the beginning of a beautiful poem.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda