11.18.2014

A Touch of Quirk

The art of dressing well must always project your own distinct personality. Without opening your mouth and uttering a single word, the way in which one dresses should tell the world exactly who they are. Which can be difficult since telling your own fashion story would require persons to know themselves, and getting to know yourself isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to accomplish. It can be scary, but once you make that discovery, everything in your space seems to flow so naturally.

In this week's fashion news, the world was all abuzz regarding the wedding of Solange Knowles, the ├╝ber chic, neo-soul, younger sister of Beyonce (see wedding photos HERE). Solange has a style of her own that can't be emulated by anyone. Tabloids and fashion magazines asked their readers this question, "Would you wear what Solange wore to her wedding?" My answer to that would be - No. Not that I didn't think Solange looked incredible, because she did. Here's the reason...I'm not Solange. I'm Glenda, and Glenda has a style of her own - a style that incorporates the classics, with a bit of boho and a touch of quirk. In my humble opinion, it really is a dis-service when these types of questions are proposed. By doing so, it leads one to believe that fashion style can be made by simply copying another persons look. So not true.

For today, I thought I'd tap into my quirkiness. The side of me that peeks through from my usually reserved self. It is the side of Glenda that is fun and adventurous, and now willing to take chances (after rediscovering myself). By revealing a touch of quirk, it shows the world that their is something unique about Glenda. It is, in fact, those unique elements that make us stand out from the rest. Though my overall look for today is classic, what glides me through my day is a pair of sandals that may make some scratch their head in wonder...


Today's Look - Boyfriend Jeans: Old Navy, White Button Up: Loft (old), Cardigan purchased from TJ Maxx years ago, Sandals: Tildon (Blaire) (I saw a couple of pair available on eBay), Sunnies: Loft, Clutch by Juicy Couture, Polish is Rekha by Zoya, Silver jewelry purchased in Mexico, Belt: Nine West via TJ Maxx.







In a world that suggest we all do the same thing and dress the same way, it is quite refreshing to meet someone who has their own take on fashion. Wouldn't you agree? {wink}

Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  twitter

Link Up: Fashion Ala Mode
 
All Photographs by Freddy Harrison

34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'll have to agree, Lotty! LOVE at first sight :)

      Delete
  2. Those shoes, this look...just fabulous! You are werking this look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those days when I just felt fly. You know what I'm talking about :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Glenda! Yes, you are very unique and special. That is what makes super adorable:-) I agree with everything you said about being ourselves and expressing who we are through fashion. We can't imitate others or try to be someone else because we can't be what we are not. Being ourselves and expressing who we are, freely and without judgment, is self love and the key to true happiness. Those shoes are adorable and I like them very much. You look super beautiful as always. Thanks for sharing such beautiful and inspiring post. XOXO, Jeannette

    www.msjeannieandhercloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poignant words - freely and without judgment, is self love and the key to true happiness. I agree completely, Jeannie!
      I had my eyes on these sandals for a mighty long time. I wandered into the store and there they were on clearance for $15!!! Marked down from 79.00. Be still my heart. It was meant to be :)

      Delete
  4. Oh bl h (I nearly used words I shouldn't)... This is sooo cool. It looks so simple, yet it is such a good outfit. That orange cardigan is ever so good on you. And the sandals... Oh boy, the sandals... To die for. So beautiful. You are the queen of sandals for me.
    And I fully agree that we should just be ourselves and not an imitation of somebody. But I have to sy that we saw the adventurous Glenda before you rediscovered yourself. It shone through all the time.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like reading your last comment very much. Perhaps I only thought I was hiding. It's good to know that I had more courage than I originally thought.
      As for the sandals...Oh Greetje, there are no words. I LOVE them! As I matter of fact, I think I did use words I shouldn't when I first laid eyes on them :)

      Delete
  5. What a great look, Glenda! It all works together so well, and states simply (without shouting) who you are. Brava!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A soft whisper is all that's required. Thank you so much. I felt absolutely myself in this look :)

      Delete
  6. I am obsessed with your shoes!! The whole outfit is simply perfection with just the right amount of quirkiness :)
    xo,
    Monica
    www.GlamVolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica. I wore the entire look all day and got stopped multiple times about the sandals :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome look Glenda. Orange is so gorgeous on you. I love how the orange in your heels matches with the cardigan. Perfect!
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when that happens. Actually when I first laid eyes on them (months ago) I did a quick inventory in my mind and knew that they would work with the cardigan and other items in my wardrobe. I'm so in love with them.

      Delete
    2. Should you ever fall out of love, well send them my way, they'll find a lovingly home here ;)
      hugs

      Delete
  8. Those sandals turn the whole ensemble into a wowwwwwwwwwwww
    You do have the the knack to get a Wowwwwwwwwww out of me, and that my dear Glenda is not easy, lol
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Sacramento. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Orange. . .Yes!! I love everything about this outfit and of course the Shoes. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those jeans combined with those heels? Sexaaaaay! But in a very elegant and non-flashy way. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful sandals, very cool! I love your whole look, Glenda, down to the white shirt, it's a great one. This orange cream-soda color is so good on you! Very fresh and very you. And yes, it's a journey to getting to know ourselves, at times scary, at times fun, it's essential, it's the whole point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shade of orange is so pretty. I wish I could find more of it. Thank you Natalia!

      Delete
  12. Yes very refreshing. I love that you always make each outfit so unique and that you really claim your personality with everything that you wear. I am going to go to eBay, and if those sandals are in my size they are so mine! Love the Orange, with the crisp white, and perfectly worn denims. The sandals are the perfect finishing touch. Now off to ebay I go!
    Xx, elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, Elle! I hope you find them in your size. They are deliciously incredible!

      Delete
  13. I was in love with her wedding choices, very chic and so true to her!

    These shoes with the orange are amazing! Even in your more casual outfits you look beyond amazing!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Cara. Solange looked amazing and so Solange. These sandals are my new best friend :)

      Delete
  14. Oh those heels are HEAVENLY!! Thank you so much for stopping by my little blog and joining the linkup! Hope to see you back next week!
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving your easy breezy look with your comfy jeans and classic white shirt and a pop of papaya! The gorgeous surprise are you shoes!!!! Love them. I don't think I've ever seen any shoe like them. The colors are so happy. Have a wonderful week off from the cyber world - we all need that. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Glenda.

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I miss this message. Thank you, Cherie!

      Delete
  16. LOVE this look and those SHOES! Werk!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda