10.01.2014

Handkerchief Season

It can be rather difficult to get motivated about your appearance when you have a ball of tissue in your hand to relieve your runny nose. Yep, it's allergy season for me. Don't get me wrong, I love October and all of its wonder...the changing colors of foliage, pumpkin everything, the harvest of grapes, etc. But for me, it also represents a month of endless sneezing, watery and itchy eyes, and functioning while in a Benadryl induced daze. Though I know there are others (I see the blood-shot eyes) who deal with allergies, sometimes I feel as if I'm the only person on earth who must suffer in this capacity. Excuse me while I blow my nose. 

Since life must go on, I refuse to let this annoyance stop this fashion show. For today, I have selected to wear a silk, strapless, handkerchief dress for handkerchief season. And since we Southern Californians are getting sucker punched with continuous 90+ degree weather, this dress dually represents the occasion...a hot autumn day during Glenda's allergy season. I should call this my Win-Win dress.


Today's Look: Gap Silk Strapless Dress via eBay, White Cotton Shrug: Target (Similar Option), White Clutch: Juicy Couture via eBay, Caged Booties: Via Spiga (Old. Option at Nordstrom), Cat-eye Sunnies purchased from the Getty Center Museum Gift Shop (option at Nordstrom), Disney Millennium Watch, Polish is Marney by Zoya.


 



Since humor is often the best medicine for ailments, I thought it would be fun to share a story with you regarding my cat-eye sunnies, that also serve a dual purpose today - a shield from the sun and to prevent you from seeing my red eyes.

While trying them on at the Getty Museum gift shop, my youngest son said to me, "I don't like those on you. They make you look too sassy." The young lady assisting me couldn't help but burst into laughter. I said, "What's the matter with your mom looking sassy?" He replied, "You're not suppose to look that way because you're a mom." My oldest son chimes in, "She's not just a mom you know." To wrap up the conversation I concluded by saying, "One day, when you're my age and you have a wife, you're going to want her to wear sunglasses like these. A little sassy is a good thing."



And yes, I was brave enough to have this photo shoot in the park with a warm, steady breeze blowing the pollen about. My husband, the photographer, was kind enough to let me stop in between poses to handle my business...if you know what I mean. My clutch was stocked full of Kleenex. Thank heavens I married a patient man. I refuse to let this hiccup in life get me down, so, in the meantime, I'll hold my head up high, sneeze, put on my cat-eye sunnies, and keep right on living{wink}

I love to read your views, please, leave your comments below.

Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  twitter

Link Up: Visible Monday
Photographs by Freddy

38 comments:

  1. Dear Glenda,
    I know some people who have the same problem and am full of compassion. Fortunately, I had never had inconvenience of this kind and I hope it stays that way. You instantly look again stunning. The dress is beautiful, the color so soft and the fabric nice shiny but not too much, perfect for the temperatures in Southern California. I like your sunglasses and had to smile about the conversation with your son. How sweet.

    have a wonderful weekend
    Dana
    http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dana! You are blessed to not have to deal with allergies. The dress is made of a washable silk. It feels and wears wonderfully. I love the gun metal color of it! My sons crack me up. They bring me so much joy :)

      Delete
  2. Another lovely dress and you wear it so very well. Love your Sassyness. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful dress! Definitely no blowing your nose on it is allowed! I too have seasonal allergies and mine last from May through October at their worst. Benadryl does indeed make a person groggy and contains the same ingredients as over the counter sleep medications. I have to use one of the Non-Drowsy brands in the day time but often I need a prescription nasal spray and eye drops in addition. Some days none of those things works and my eyes and nose run like someone turned the taps on full blast. Yes, allergies are a joy! Let me say one more time that dress is gorgeous and you look radiant as you always do! Aren't son's delightful?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, son's are so very delightful. I love being a part of their lives. Sometimes I wish I could freeze them at this age. And thank you for the compliment.
      I have used the non drowsy formulas and sometimes I feel like nothing is happening. Benadryl seems to work...or maybe I'm just too sleepy to know any better.

      Delete
  4. Glenda,
    You look gorgeous again! Love the dress and shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha....I love how you responded to your youngest son's comment! You are a gem Glenda...your kids have the BEST Mom! Sorry to hear about the troubling allergies, but you do look pretty, super, fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned to think on my toes with my sons. They're always full of questions about women, etc.
      Thank you again, Sue!

      Delete
  6. I can't believe it is still so warm there, actually it's Cali so I guess I can! You look beautiful in this dress! Your youngest son is too cute and I love your response!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're obviously having a continuous summer...again. Just like last year. Thanks Cara!

      Delete
  7. You look lovely dear! Love the sandals!
    Nelly.
    www.imperfectmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, you really look sassy and chic! Love it all, the dress is also amazing. Sorry for your allergy. For years I was fighting it and had a running nose all the time. Have a great Friday!

    Jasmine ♥
    For a Real Woman - Instagram - Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine!
      Thank you for your comment and compliments!

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous silk dress, Glenda! Looks fantastic paired with thee shoes too. Yep, sunglasses are always a great tip - for allergies, flue or pink eye. :) I have seasonal allergies, not fun. Though I feel better this year. Kids are so unexpectedly conservative at times. My daughter tries to cover up a slit in my skirt if it's too high or my decolletage if it's too low. So funny and cute. :))

    You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always surprised at the comments my sons make. They are both very protective too.
      Thank you. I absolutely love this dress!

      Delete
  10. Ugh yeah, flu season, great... :-( It's bound to get us at some point, I already dread the moment that I'll get hit! But on a brighter note, how lovely do you look in that dress? So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to read about your allergy Glenda, but nevertheless you look stunning in this beautiful dress.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lenya. I believe this dress is becoming one of my favorites!

      Delete
  12. Glenda,
    I adore this dress and am so surprised it is gap! it is Lovley on you , and a pretty dress can go a long way, I suppose, when you feel miserable ,
    I love the comments of your sons... Yes, a bit of sass at our age is a good things indeed.
    I hope the allergies subside and you get a cool breeze, soon!
    XX. Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, the good thing is that I only have a short allergy season. Usually by November it is gone. Thank goodness. I would hate to have to endure during the holidays. Yes, the dress is Gap and I found it on eBay. Oh eBay, how I heart thee :)

      Delete
  13. Lovely dress and story, too - "sassy" is a good thing! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful dress. And, of course, I'm digging the accessories... so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Glenda! I have to say that I am always looking forward to reading your posts! They are so entertaining and joyful (not that you having allergies is joyful, of course) but the way you narrate everything is so cute and sweet:-) I am very sorry about your allergies but I am happy to see how positive you take it all! You rock girl and of course, always looking amazing! Love that dress and the shoes!!!! xoxo, Jeannette

    www.msjeannieandhercloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeannette! I've learned that you have to keep living, in spite of the circumstances.

      Delete
  16. I was a sneezing mess these past few days, so I understand 100%. Lovely dress, I always love to see you style those shoes. Cute convo with you and your sons too...lol. :-0

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Whitney! I'm discovering that these shoes were a very wise investment - they seem to go with many pieces in my wardrobe. My sons are very entertaining :)

      Delete
  17. Charming response to an upper respiratory event! Good for you ... the right woman can be inspired by anything! Looking lovely ... such a "you" piece, this little dress. Hope the irritants disappear for you very soon. Glad you are staying SASSY ... they really are, those sunnies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan! As Tim Gunn would say and regarding how I view life...Make it work!

      Delete
  18. You poor sneezing thing. Well, you succeeded in looking wonderful. I am always puzzled by bloggers who say : found this on Ebay. How do you do that? It is second-hand, so how do you know it will fit and suit you?
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greetje! eBay is a virtual treasure trove for anything and everything. Often times I simply search for the stores that I like. As an example, I searched for Gap dresses. Since I'm familiar with Gap's sizing, I know what will fit. Also, I never buy from a seller than doesn't accept returns. There have been times when I purchased something that didn't fit or just wasn't what I expected. I'll either return it, or take it to my local consign shop to sell it myself.

      Delete
    2. I never thought eBay-sellers would accept retruns. That is a new one for me.

      Delete
    3. Yes, most do. And also, I look for items that say NWT - New With Tags.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda