10.26.2014

Embracing Femininity

"Walk like you have three men walking behind you." 
Oscar de la Renta 

Oscar obviously knew of the female secret weapon. With his suggestion, he plainly states that there is zero shame in embracing femininity by making men swoon with just the powerful sway of our hips. A couple of years ago, I had to cue my youngest son in on our secret weapon. Here is how it went: While driving home from school, my son said to me. "Mom, why do girls bottoms move back and forth when they walk?" My response to him was one that he had to think about as he matured. I simply said, "It worked didn't it?" He replied, "What worked?" I wrapped up our conversation with, "It got your attention." He sat in quiet contemplation for the remainder of our drive home. Now, two years later, he recalled our conversation and told me he now understood.


I was fortunate to marry a man who absolutely loves my femininity. He lets me be me without trying to enforce other stipulations into the mix. He adores my need to have the word Pretty as the focal point of my existence...vases filled with fresh cut flowers, lovely lace curtains that flutter in the breeze, tea from a floral teacup. You get the picture. Sure, there are times when I can clap, cheer and shout from the bleachers, but you better believe it's being done with a perfect red lip and manicured hands. I never want to be mistaken for one of the guys. But I'm quite sure that will never happen. You see, when I scoot past you on my way to my seat, you'll be reminded of my feminine mystique when my vanilla scented aroma enraptures you. 


Today, I have chosen a look that speaks volumes about my love for femininity - a bright fuchsia drop-waist dress, sexy strappy sandals, a pashima shawl and delicate silver jewelry. The dress was purchased a couple of years ago from Loft as a limited addition garment that supported breast cancer awareness. And since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, here in the states, it's even more apropos that I chose this look. Sorry, there are no links for this post. Everything that I'm wearing has been in my closet for quite some time.


Since I'm sharing with you my views on femininity, I thought it would be nice to share with you 16 ways that I capture the essence of being feminine:
  • Exercise to maintain my womanly physique;
  • Dressing to compliment my body type;
  • Indulge in weekly lavender scented Epsom Salt baths (helps keep my muscles from tightening);
  • I give myself weekly manicures and pedicures. I find this very therapeutic;
  • Morning and afternoon tea in a pretty teacup;
  • I love organic scented body creams. I prefer the scents of lavender, spearmint, vanilla and almond;
  • Continuously learning and staying current on news;
  • Dates with my husband;
  • Fresh cut flowers in our home;
  • Eating whole foods rather than processed;
  • Slathering my hands and feet with a rich cream each night before bed;
  • Keeping my pout lush by giving my lips a weekly exfoliation (More info at my post called SKIN);
  • Weekly peppermint scented hot oil treatment for my hair and scalp. While sitting under the hooded dryer, I enjoy reading the latest fashion magazines;
  • Telling my husband and sons that I love them on a daily basis;
  • Embracing what God made me to the fullest;
  • Seeing my doctor for my annual physical and mammogram





As you can see, I cherish my life and the lives of those whom I share. I believe femininity is a powerful trait. What do you do to embrace femininity? Do tell, I love to read your comments. In the meantime, remember to do what Oscar suggest...Walk like there are three men walking behind you{wink}

Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  twitter

Link Up:
Personal Style Monday
All Photographs by Freddy Harrison

45 comments:

  1. This is a great style! It is telling how the wrap elevates the whole look to chic and powerful. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She walks in Beauty" I am reminded of this poem when I read this post. I once read that mothers of sons are more well dressed than mothers of daughters. You certainly prove this to be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, I know the poem. What an interesting fact. Now I'm going to keep an eye out.

      Delete
  3. I agree, "femininity is a powerful trait". I think more women should fully understand this.
    thank you. Linda C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always repeat to my husband to remember how I looked when he see me for the first time, elegance and femininity needs time. I find we both like lavender.
    About women and not only Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. You glow in this post, Glenda. Your list reminds me to take more time to take care of myself. I find that I am often stressed out and tense and neglect to do these little self-caring things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rebecca! I find that when I take care of myself, it makes my entire life sing :)

      Delete
  6. Feminine, really is there any other way?? I'm with you Glenda I love embracing my femininity and all that goes with it from lacy undergarments to adorning myself in pretty clothes. It says to the world "I care about myself and I also care about others and won't give them anything less than the best of me." Great post Glenda!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Stephanae, and thank you! I'm glad we put the same value on femininity.

      Delete
  7. Bravo!!!!I hope you can feel the smile you put on my face, and the joy in my spirit with your wise words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful for your joy! With all the talk about being feminist, I was afraid of the backlash.

      Delete
  8. You look beautiful in this outfit Glenda, the heels are TDF! Love the last pic of you, cute.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenya! I'm glad my husband captured it in the first shot. It hurts to run in heels (lol).

      Delete
  9. So inspirational Glenda!
    The sophisticated pink and black, the edgy heels, the perfectly worded description of how and why beauty is your focal point, and your explanation about your walk....and how it evolved two years alter into a great understanding.
    I think a good feminine walk, is done by somewhat who is condifent, has good posture, and lets her hips away the way nature intended them to!
    LOVED this,
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle, my son wasn't referring to my walk, but the walk of other women he had noticed. I figured it would take time for him to grasp a full understanding. I agree with you about the walk that it is best when natural and with good posture. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. To embrace femininity is very important to me.

      Delete
  10. Hello Glenda! What an amazing post. Very inspirational indeed. You have reminded me that I need to dedicate more time to myself and that I need to do more for me:-) You are everything a woman would want to be; you are beautiful, confident, smart, elegant, SUPER FEMENINE, a great mother, a loving and HOT wife:-) and the list goes on and on.... I love reading your posts because they are so refreshing and very soul rejuvenating and they always teach me something. Love your outfit today, that dress is super elegant and chic and the color suits you really well. Yes, I embrace femininity and definitively love clothes makeup and shoes but just realized (thanks to you) that I need to do more for myself. Finding spare time is a challenge for me but not an excuse to do find time for me. Thanks so much Glenda, you are a blessing from the skies. I believe God puts people in you path for a reason and reading your post today was what I needed:-) You are blessed and a blessing. XOXO, Jeannette

    www.msjeannieandhercloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, wow, thank you so much. I too find your blog very inspirational. I believe we both know that femininity and style stems from something far greater than what we place on our backs. I'm glad this post inspired you to take the time to care for yourself. I find that by doing this, my entire life sings a beautiful song. Peace to you.

      Delete
  11. You certainly succeed in your stive for femininity. Today too. That dress is so nice. Love it. I love the colour and the cut. Looks fabulous on you. You know I love all your sandals and these ones are proving to be a great purchase. They go with so many outfits.
    As for walking like there are three men behind you..... I wish I could. My hips never swing. Having hardly any hips or bum (which a find a real shame) I have to concentrate on my long legs. Swinging my hips... No, they just don't swing.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Greetje! My mother, who was a tomboy, always wondered how I became so feminine. I love this quality and find it to be extremely powerful, even though the world tries to prove otherwise. I have the hips, you have the great, long legs that I could only dream to have :)

      Delete
    2. I tried to sway my hips last Thursday with that line in mind (imagine three men walking behind you). I had to giggle. It is fun to try and walk like that. Last Saturday Ron and I went to the market in Haarlem to take some photos for the blog and I was dressed in a black pencil skirt with high heels. When I dropped my keys from my bag, instant help arrived in the shape of a courteous gentleman who picked them up for me. LOL Indeed the effect of femininity!

      Delete
    3. And by the way, I don't think you have anything to complain about concerning your legs. They look perfect. Exactly the right curves.

      Delete
    4. I love the story, Greetje! Indeed, the power of our femininity is quite potent :)
      And thank you for the leg compliment.

      Delete
  12. That feminine side in every woman is so beautiful it needs to be embraced 24 hours everyday. You portray it so well by featuring a very flawless dress with such a clean style and soft look to it. Your heels darling, powerful! You look great and you are very lucky to have a partner who adores you. Lovely post!

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Busola! Yes, I am very thankful to have a spouse who embraces me for me :)

      Delete
  13. Another great post, Glenda. The older I get, the more in tune I become with my feminine side and I love it. I was a soccer player growing up and played throughout college. So, it was hard for me to feel "feminine" with soccer cleats and muddy hands. And on top of that, I was the goalie, lol. But my 20's has allowed me to really come into my own and I do love being pretty and feminine. Thanks for sharing.

    By the way, you look amazing in this dress. Fits you perfectly and the color is lovely!

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whitney, I was always the girl that never got chosen for the team. I didn't have much interest in sports. My sport of choice in high school was cheerleading :)

      I'm glad you're now embracing your God-given femininity.

      Delete
  14. such a pretty dress! love the color and minimal accessories!

    xx
    a possible fantasy
    -----
    if you follow me via bloglovin', please let me know so i can follow back. thank you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, your son asking and wondering about that is actually kind of cute :-) You ooooooze femininity, Glenda! This is such a stunning outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it made me realize he's growing up. Thank you Melissa. I'm happy to know I ooze femininity :)

      Delete
  16. I love how honest you are with yours sons, very refreshing! I think I love even more how supportive and understanding of you your husband always is! You look gorgeous and, yes, incredibly feminine!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a gem, Cara. As is your hubby :) And thank you!

      Delete
  17. This reminds me of Maya Angelou's poem "Phenomenal Woman":) Ah, I need to work on some of these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May a Angelou, my hero. Enjoy your journey loving you!

      Delete
  18. Love this post! You took a simple dress to a whole new level! Love the list, which night do you use Glenda?
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. Did you mean which night cream? If so, I use Origins on my hands and feet before bed.

      Delete
  19. I love that you shared your list with us. It is so important for all of us to take good care of ourselves so we can be the best for everyone around us, but it's easy to put ourselves last. Your list has inspired me to add a few things to my list. Like the weekly lavender epsom salt baths and drinking my tea out of a pretty teacup. So, thank you.
    Now... to those shoes! I don't see where you mention the brand of the shoes?? Need to know!
    The simple red and black outfit is perfect!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't live without my weekly soak. I workout 5 to 6 days per week. The salt keeps my muscles from getting too tight. The lavender relaxes me.

      The sandals are Michael Kors ;)

      Delete
  20. Love love love this look, Glenda! The dress is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda