9.25.2014

Seize the Gray

Since making the behemoth decision to ditch the dye, I have received oodles of compliments, on my hair, from friends and strangers alike. While getting my teeth cleaned, and having my mouth hanging wide open, my young and good-looking dentist said to me, "Mrs. Harrison, your hair is stunning." Just recently I met-up with a friend, whom I haven't seen in over a year, and the first thing that came out of her mouth was, "I love your hair!" The last time we saw one another, I had just applied a substantial amount of chestnut brown #4 into my hair. She, like others in my circle, had no idea that my crown had transformed itself...seemingly overnight, into my salt and pepper curls. I tried my best to hide my two-toned head of hair until recently, when I decided to not look back, put on my big girl panties and seize the gray...


Today's outfit is in celebration of my silver/gray crown. I have selected to wear my favorite go-to dress that I have dubbed my LGD (little gray dress). It is the most perfect little dress that I found on clearance at TJ Maxx (ages ago) for only $10! I have worn this dress to many reporting occasions during my days as a newspaper style columnist; to dinners; and to school functions for my sons. It's super easy to wear and requires zero fuss. I simply pull it on and go...no zippers or buttons...and it has pockets! And here is the most magnificent quality of my LGD - it is made of sweatshirt/pant material, so you can just imagine how comfortable and easy to maintain it must be. Ahem...just like my hair (I had to throw that in). I have decided to pair my easy dress with a bold, statement necklace because frankly speaking, I feel quite bold by giving the standards of what's attractive the boot.


Today's Look - Sweat Dress via TJ Maxx (ages ago); Shell Necklace: Francesca's Collection (ages ago), My Favorite Vintage America Nine West Sandals via eBay; Sterling Silver Bangle from Mexico, Sterling Silver Ring purchased at the Pasadena Flea Market. Sorry folks, I'm not wearing anything new today so I don't have any links for you.


My naturally curly salt & pepper crown of curls.



Closing the door on Hollywood - the gatekeepers of what's attractive.

Just this morning, I saw a very inspiring story from the Huffington Post regarding actress, Ali MacGraw. Who doesn't remember Ali's flowing brunette hair in her 1970's iconic starring role in Love Story with Ryan O'Neil? In the Huffington piece, Ali proudly shows her now embraced, glorious silver hair; and how she was able to walk away from the standards of "Hollywood" to be her true self. Click HERE to watch the short interview. She looks positively regal!


In order for Ali to make her transition to silver, she had to leave the judgmental glare of Hollywood. With all of its positive attributes, the downside of California is its obsession with youth. The thought of showing your years is considered an outrage, and only a few brave souls have been able to buck the system...or leave it behind all together. I, too, receive the stares. Sometimes I wonder what they're thinking. Are some saying, "She needs to see a colorist?" Or, do they look and me and secretly wish they had the courage to Seize the Gray{wink}

You know I love to read your views, please, leave your comments below.

Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  twitter

Photographs by Freddy

36 comments:

  1. YES! YES! YES! Glenda, you are all about authentic style, and embracing your lovely natural hair colour just makes brilliant sense! AND! You look GORGEOUS! Seriously! Love your outfit too, from tip to toe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you! I think the gray looks super on you! I wish I had continued to let my gray grow but I was I was frightened off when someone referred to me as my daughter’s grandmother and I headed straight for the dye. Now, I’m caught in a viscous cycle. The gray grows back so quickly that I would never want to color that often (so I’m usually partially gray) and my hair is so long that it would take forever for the gray to catch up with the length. Sadly, trying to change hair color TO gray is an almost impossible bleaching nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Devon and welcome to So What to Twenty! I really appreciate your comment.
      The same thing happened to me...so woman asked if I was my youngest son's grandmother. At first I was offended, but then I realized that because 99.9% of all women dye their hair, people are just confused when they do see natural hair. If the person was younger than you, they probably have no idea how quickly the hair begins to turn silver. Sadly, I receive a lot of stares from women, but men always give the greatest compliments. I assume because they don't traditionally dye their hair like we do. It's probably refreshing for them to see women with silver hair.

      Truthfully, I think the transition has been easy for me because I do wear my hair very short. But they again, on the occasions that I do see women with long silver hair, I am always in awe of it. It is always stunning!

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I have vowed that when I cut my hair short again (which I may end up doing sooner rather than later when we retire to Costa Rica). I am going to let it be gray and wear one of those short cool spikey gray hair dos! As more of us beome "mature" at the same time the gray will be more and more acceptable anyway. Keep on keepin on you look fabulous!

      Delete
    3. Thank you again, Devon! Wow, Costa Rico. Now that's cool!

      Delete
  3. Glenda if you should ever get tired of this gorgeous dress please pretty please send it over to me, I'll take good care of it. Gee! Glenda that dress is divine and you look so darling. Love the necklace, it's spectacular, not to mention the sandals. Perfect from head to toe my friend.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed at how much attention this little dress gets...and for 10 bucks! Thanks Lenya!

      Delete
  4. That is a most perfect dress! I think people with gray or white hair look just great in black and gray. I'm working with my hairstylist right now on getting rid of the caramel/yellow tones to let the gray come in. I'd like to just stop cold turkey, but with long hair it takes a little work not to have an unsightly horizontal line.

    I enjoyed the Ali post too. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outcome will look fabulous, Joni. I just know it will. You're a gorgeous lady.

      Delete
  5. Your hair color is smashing! It suits you and the grey dress looks gorgeous with your new look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glenda, you look truly stunning! This dress has such beautiful details (love the sleeves and neckline) and silhouette - very flattering, charming! And I especially like it with this bold necklace.

    I love you with your naturally gray hair and I totally support women in this decision. Hollywood is so alien to me. All the ideas of standards when it comes to people are absolutely ridiculous - color, shape, size, smartness, prettiness etc, etc.

    I also have a hero - Judi Dench. She has her gray hair for dozens of years now. Not one plastic surgery too. She is going to be 80 this year, and I think she is an absolute, true, genuine beauty for any age. We all need heroes who inspire us. You are very inspiring, Glenda! I color my hair and love it red, but it's not about covering gray for me, I only got a tiny few at this point. But I will definitely want to grow into silver one day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Natalia, and I hope you keep Hollywood's views at a distance. They're very warped. Yes, Dana Judith Dench, she and a few others have embraced their age. It's so refreshing.

      Letting the silver shine through is a personal decision, and I'm not suggesting that people do what I'm doing unless it's the right decision for YOU. You look beautiful with vibrant red hair :)

      Delete
  7. Very stylish. Love the necklace! http://www.dorlydesigns.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hair really is stunning. And $10 for a terrific dress? You're on a roll here! I let my hair go grey a few years ago. It was hard at first. I had to admit to myself that I am, in fact, old. But I am lucky to have made it this far in life and my grey hair and my wrinkles are my merit badges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our silver and wrinkles represent wisdom. Thank you, Connie :)

      Delete
  9. You look Lovely in this dress and your salt & pepper do is working for you. I am still dying my hair but not as much as before and I keep cutting it shorter and shorter. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think short hair has a sophisticated appeal. Thank you, Neti for your kind words.

      Delete
  10. Love the dress on you, and much to my surprise also love the gray hair on you. It just works I think. It looks sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like salt and pepper hair , but the problem is the transition time when you use to colour it... I must say that grey hair looks very good on you! And your comfortable dress is so nice!
    p.s.
    to say nothing about your wonderful necklace!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the short hair made the transition easy, but I can sure understand that issue with long hair.

      Delete
  12. Love your hair, and the dress also. Your commentary on life is very refreshing, you have a great postitive and growing outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. When you do what you love, I think it's much easier to shine.

      Delete
  13. Glenda I love everything about this look. The simple grey dress is such a great style and adding the very exciting necklace and shoes just makes it YOU! Fab!!! cherie at stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!:This dress has been in rotation in my wardrobe for years. It's amazing what you can find at TJ Maxx.

      Delete
  14. Glenda, You are found the perfect LGD! It is so comfortable and versatile and elegant on you, with the lovely necklace that sets of your hair, and adds some nice irridecsense to your collarbone.
    I am glad you closet that door, I hope others will continue to join you. Your do indeed look regal and somehow playful, with your new salt and pepper curls.!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what you can find at TJ MAXX. Such a perfect little dress. Thanks Elle!!

      Delete
  15. oh dear, i meant close...
    happy weekend Dear Glenda!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Salt and pepper darling!! Kudos to you and how you wear it - With Confidence. You styled that lovely dress to perfection. A statement necklace and the right shoes. You look wonderful!!..

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect dress. And I especially love the necklace with it. Pairing beautifully with your sandals.
    And yes, your hair suits you. But I will be honest , so did your dark hair. To me it doesn't matter.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This outfit made me feel relaxed and effortless. Just the way I like it. Thanks Greetje!

      Delete
  18. Glenda, you wear gray very well!! I was toying with the idea of having my stylist dye mine a shade of silver but I'm still on the fence. I think with the right outfit, accessories, and attitude it only enhances the gray in a very good way. Your LGD (I'm gonna remember this) looks comfy yet very chic with its simple lines. The entire look is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I'm really enjoying my silver hair. I view it as a part of my complete look...somewhat as an accessory. And, since I love wearing silver, it works well with my jewelry and clothing. I feel free!!

      This dress was a spare of the moment TJ Maxx buy and I LOVE IT!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda