9.07.2014

Emerge!

Emerge is #5 and the final segment in a series: Stay Connected by following one or more of the networks at the end of this post.

Wrap me in your grace today as you 
remind me of your limitless love. 
Teach me to trust your assurances that you 
have made me truly and eternally beautiful. 
~Anonymous

The last few days have been anything short of miraculous. This past Thursday, I lay my head on my pillow, with a knowing, that it was time to emerge...


And emerge I did! I cannot say that the transformation was an easy journey. It was daunting, and audibly the most difficult challenge that I have had to face. It was a heavy experience that required times of solitude, deep introspective, and many tears, that I am positive, washed away much of the hurt. But in retrospect, the moments I spent in this process can be dubbed as priceless. I could never put a value on the exceptional importance of peace-of-mind. And though we see many quotes that instruct us to never look back, sometimes it is crucial to do so in order to understand what you may or may not want to repeat.


And though I had to draw back the curtain to expose my heart and reveal my past hurts (and in essence become vulnerable) the process cleared the way for me to drop my bags and make room for my joy. I am truly thankful that I made the decision to disclose my past to you. By doing so, it was as if I opened a flood-gate of healing. In my mind, I could envision every negative experience being washed away. Washed away from my present...and washed away from my future. And, it was your inspiring and encouraging words that provided replenishment for my soul.



For today, to represent my transformation and my wings, I have chosen to wear an outfit that represents the creative and bohemian side of Glenda - Since that was the side of Glenda which was suppressed for so many years:
  • An 80s floral dress, that I'm wearing as a duster, to represent my colorful and life affirming wings (vintage); 
  • A pair of Loft jeans that I recently removed the leg hem stitching to sport an unfinished look (because, after all, life is always a work in progress) (Options at Loft);
  • A basic white tank top to represent a blank canvas in which I can create (Loft); 
  • Booties are Mainstay by Nine West (available on Amazon)
  • A butterfly necklace that reminds me of what is to come in my new life (vintage).
  • Polish is A-List by essie





As I move forward in my new life, in spite of what my mind believed and regardless of what I was told, I discovered that I was already a butterfly (albeit a wounded butterfly). My wings needed mending, and because of this, I wasn't able to fly. I took this time of discovery to repair and heal. Now I am ready to stretch my wings and reach the sky...and perhaps one day I will soar.


And on days of relaxation in my new life, I look forward to being a creature that flutters amongst the flowers; hovering about, in a peaceful place. The Beginning{wink}


No. 1 in this series is called Confident. Click CONFIDENT to begin the journey.
No. 2 in this series is called Dark Liquid. Click DARK LIQUID to continue the journey.
No. 3 in this series is called Road Closed. Click ROAD CLOSED to continue the journey. 
No. 4 in this series is called Shine. Click SHINE to continue the journey.

 
Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  twitter

Link Up:
Visible Monday
Personal Style Monday
Photographs by Freddy

43 comments:

  1. And don't you look stunning as you emerge! This is my favourite outfit of the whole series too! You are strong, you are creative, you are filled with love. You can do this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your journey. I believe that the most damaging thing a parent can do to a child is withhold love but I have also seen the wounds caused by a parent who does love only doesn't know how to show it and gives the wrong messages. It takes great strength to move forward and rise above that hurt. You are shining, Glenda. Go fly!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And fly I will. Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Shawna. I really REALLY appreciate them :)

      Delete
  2. Yes!! Free at last!! I remember someone once introducing me to the idea of taking care of things from our past that may be holding us down in order to be able to advance forward and go on in a more healthy way. Even things that didn't seem to be weighing us down can be muffling our experiences without us knowing it.
    You are very inspiring Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joni. I fully believe that its good to go back temporarily so that we can move forward.

      Delete
  3. Oh Glenda. I am so happy to see you flying. We always knew you were a beautiful butterfly. Now you know it, too. OK. So your son's school has a fashion merchandising department?? What kind of wonderful school is that? My kids were lucky to even get an art department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Connie. I feel FREE!!!
      The school district is exceptional when it comes to the arts, performing, visual...you name it. And yes, it's a public school. :)

      Delete
  4. You are indeed a beautiful butterfly, and now you are feeling it! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, you are gorgeous inside and out. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just made me smile...at your beauty, your freedom, and your heart. I have also emerged and learned to fly...eleven years ago. So I share in your joy! You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear other stories of transformation. It is so awesome to be amongst others who fly. Thank you Pam!

      Delete
  6. So glad the beautiful butterfly has emerged and is free to fly and without doubt will soar to great heights.
    It took great courage to share your story and it truly touched my heart. Enjoy your new role , you have so much knowledge to share .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reaching new heights. Thank you Jill!

      Delete
  7. I understand more than I can tell you what you've been through.I'm sorry you had to go through it to begin with, and I'm glad you're able to mend and flap those gorgeous wings!
    I never would've thought to use a button-down dress for a duster - but it's brilliant and I'm stealing it immediately! You have always been beautiful, you know ;-)

    Alicia
    spashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alicia. Thank you so very much :)
      Have fun "stealing" the look!

      Delete
  8. This makes me think of a Shakespeare quote from Hamlet - "you could bind me in a nutshell and call me the King of infinite space!" Direct from the Mel Gibson/Zefferelli screen adaptation! You will bring so much class and knowing to your Teacher's Assistant role. The kids are super lucky to have you. What a great blog and forum you've made here, it's a wonderful window into another person's soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful quote. Thank you for sharing this with me. I love it! I'm really looking forward to helping the students!

      Delete
  9. You definitely a butterfly, Glenda! What a lovely and inspirational post! I am so happy you're feeling all renewed and replenished! And that first shot? Amazing. The perfect visualization of the feeling you're describing in this post :-) Good luck with the teacher's assistant job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really looking forward to mentoring the young fashion students. I hope I have a connection with them. My husband's photography skills always amaze me!

      Delete
  10. This is absolutely gorgeous...love it! It perfectly represents your emergence. And congrats on the new job!
    Debbie
    www.fashionfairydust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, and thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I am dying over that first shot, INCREDIBLE! Congratulations!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is quite talented. Thanks Cara!

      Delete
  12. You have reached the mountain top and you look glowing. That first shot of the wind beneath your wings is so Inspirational!! Enjoy your Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind beneath my wings...I love that Neti. Thank you!!

      Delete
  13. Glenda, it sounds so PERFECT for you!! It's great to share your passion. Congratulations on your new page in life! You look lovely in your boho hippy outfit, such a great California vibe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia. I am so excited. My son thinks it is cool too. I had fun wearing this look. I want to wear it for wine tasting.

      Delete
  14. Sorry sorry being so late. Glenda you look stunning. I love everything, the dress you wear as a duster, any chance you'll wear it as a dress? I would love to see it, it's gorgeous! Love what you did to the jeans. This look suits you beautifully honey! Well what to say, congrats to the new chapter in your life, you go girl!
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenya, funny you should ask. I would never wear it as a dress. I don't like it that way. It's a wrap dress and looks dated. When I purchased it, the owner of the boutique was surprised. She said it didn't look like my style. I told her I was only using it as a duster. Then she said, "Oh wow how creative!"

      Delete
  15. Love the look!! Congratulations on your new role as a Teachers Assistant. Oh how I would love to work in the fashion industry!

    ~Tab
    humblebeauty29.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are young with many years ahead. The world is at your feet. If that is what you want, then I encourage you to make it happen.

      Delete
  16. Of course you will! What a great thing for you, but better for the kids you'll be helping with your more than considerable expertise and natural talent for expression!
    You look so lovely. It's futile and counterproductive to try to avoid the past, but as you show the past is all lessons, and living now with a plan for the future is the way to go. Oh, good for you! Congratulations on new projects ... aren't they the best things in the world?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jan, new projects are always so exciting! The thought of getting out of bed and journeying to school with my son is very exciting. But perhaps not for him. I'll try to be discreet when we see each other during passing periods.

      Delete
  17. Such an inspiring series. I have been going through a struggle for the past 3 months... Dealing with past hurts and accepting that growth sometimes means acknowledging, moving on, and letting go. I have a butterfly tattoo that symbolizes strength and grace under pressure. Love love love your outfit by the way. It's just what I'd love to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daenal, so many people told me to let go of the past. I understood what they meant. However, it was important for me to get answers. And those answers were in the past. Now that I have them, I have the ability to move forward. I'm glad I listened to my gut. Sometimes it is better to shut others opinions out and go for what feels right. In this case, it worked.

      Delete
  18. Glenda, I am so glad that you have come though the other side on this journey . You do look splendid and proud in this gorgeous dress as duster ensemble . Love the floral, the swing of the duster and the pairing with denim. I am sure you will inspire many as a TA in your son's school!
    Congrats!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle. This is fast becoming one of my favorite looks. Perhaps I'll wear it my first day at school :)

      Delete
  19. Awesome series Glenda! You have inspired us! This is my favorite outfit of the series, it has that carefree vibe! Congrats on the new journey and best wishes!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful outfit to celebrate this new beginning in your life. I am beyond excited for you to enter into your new season. I know you will thrive. Thank you for sharing, and for always being so inspirational. Happy weekend...XO!

    ~Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glenda I have to breeze through your posts. I didn't get any email reminders like I used to. It is happening with more blogs, so it is probably something to do with Feed Burner or so. Darned.
    And I have been so busy, I didn't look at all the blogs I follow. So sorry. Work is a beast at the moment.
    But I am happy. Also because you are doing so well. GREAT.
    And also.. the outfit is gorgeous. What a way to style this. Perfect.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. Life gets very busy. This was one of my favorite looks. Probably something I would wear on the weekends to go wine tasting. I have a tendency to be more bohemian on the weekends.

      Delete
    2. i have a tendency to go jeans and flats with a great shirt at weekends.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda