9.20.2014

Details

I have always been a fan of accessories, especially a great belt. Whether they're deemed "in style" or not, I find that adding well-made belts to your accessories collection to be a major plus factor in the details department. While many view them as simply utilitarian, I see them as an opportunity to make a statement all of their own. I enjoy wearing understated pieces and then allowing my belts and other accessories to hold the conversation. You'll find that these added touches will have a great deal to say...


Since my wardrobe is a cross between classic, quirky and a bit bohemian, my belts tend to also represent these three categories. Here is a great example of one of my favorite belts from a post I did on 11/9/13 called Hippie. Some of my belts are classic leathers with a chic buckle; others are quiet and add a simple statement to the look; while others are the focal point and command a great deal of attention. For today's look, I have chosen to wear a quirky and albeit bohemian leather floral belt with very classic and basic attire. I have had the belt in my collection for well over 25 years. I purchased it when I worked in management for the Limited Corporation. The belt is from the Limited Express. Now known as simply - Express. I was influenced to revisit this dear friend of mine after viewing the spring 2015 collection for Michael Kors, which left me swooning...to say the least.

Michael Kors s/s 2015 {source: Style.com}


Today's Look - Tank top: Loft, Crinkled Midi Skirt: H&M, Denim Jacket: Loft (from past season. Updated HERE), Michael Kors Brena Flat (still available on eBay); Belt is a vintage Express; Clutch: vintage

Brena flat by Michael Kors





To pull off good accessorizing without a hitch, it does take some skill. Accessorizing is the part of dressing that can kill or enhance a look in an instant. I consider it to be somewhat like the icing on a cake. The icing can either be delicious and add to the overall appeal of the cake, or, it can be simply awful and ruin it. Others will find themselves having to eat around the icing to get to the good part. Understand what I mean? Here are my 6 personal rules to adding accessories:
  1. Accessories should compliment the feel and flow of your attire;
  2. I try to stick with elements when wearing jewelry (silver, gold, rose gold, etc). I never go head-to-toe matchy-matchy. In other words, if I'm wearing orange attire, I wouldn't wear orange earrings, bracelets, handbag, shoes, belts, etc. Choose elements;
  3. When considering my own image (personality, body type and scale), I believe that less is more;
  4. Let one piece make a bold statement and let the other accessories take the quiet approach;
  5. It's not necessary to put accessories on every part of your body. For myself, I seldom wear necklaces because I quite like the bare look of my shoulders and neckline;
  6. As for shoes, the weight of your shoes should compliment the weight of your attire. If you're wearing a light summer dress, then wear it with a more delicate sandal or shoe. If you're wearing heavier fabrics, then chunky, weighty shoes are more appropriate. But this isn't to say that certain sandals can't be worn with sweaters. I find this look to be very chic on a cool, autumn day. However, even sandals can have a certain weight. An outfit can look off kilter if the shoes are all wrong.


How do you enjoy adding the details to your attire? Are you a less-is-more, or a more-is-more kind of dresser? Remember my friends, it's all in the details {wink}

Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  twitter

Link Up: Visible Monday
Photographs by Freddy

55 comments:

  1. The devil is in the details, and so is being fashionable! Love the outfit, Glenda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing - I have to buy that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't live without accessories. Especially necklaces for me.
    I love the touches of white on the dress in your belt. It's very fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joni. You rock necklaces like no other!

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful...you are right, every little detail makes a huge difference and can shape our own personal style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam. Yes, it's all about personal style.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful belt! Very elegant look, Glenda! I really enjoy belts on others, but rarely wear them myself.

    Thank you for sharing your tips with us. I always am very interested in learning about the creative process of others. Everyone has their own approach, and if something resonates with me, I remember it for the future. I am a variety girl myself - sometimes, more is more (often), other times less is more. Lately, it's somewhere in the middle - I am craving for balance. I go by feeling, I rarely analyze things as I do them.

    Have a great Sunday! I hope it's not as hot where you live. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great approach to accessorizing, and it clearly works beautifully -- you look wonderful! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a chic look, Glenda! Love the dress with those pretty shoes, the fab belt and the casual denim jacket!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn. I'm glad you like the look :)

      Delete
  8. You look great, love ur Dress!

    I would like to invite u to visit my blog

    http://puschokandbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brenda like your style! Very creative and elegant!
    Hugs from Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this outfit, Glenda! You also have the cutest shoes!
    xo,
    Monica
    GlamVolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica. Apparently we admire each others shoe wardrobe :)

      Delete
  11. Great look Glenda. I love accessories and found your tips on using them to be spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, Rebecca. I'm glad you enjoyed them :)

      Delete
  12. I love that textured skirt Glenda. I'm so with you...I love accessories. They are the essentials to pulling a look together. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those MK flats are super cute. I really need more flats in my wardrobe. But I have such a hard time finding cute ones. Since I live on the other coast, you won't mind if I buy myself a pair of the same do you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not! Have fun with them. They are super comfortable and you'll see that they come in a variety of patterns.

      Delete
  14. I love that belt, Glenda. It adds a sweet and delicate touch to the rest of you look. I usually wear two pieces of jewelry at a time. It is rare for me to wear more. I love jewelry but believe it should accent a look and not completely take over it unless the rest of the look is more on the minimalist side. I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, it sounds like we both like to take a minimalist approach to accessorizing. Unless I'm intentionally trying to make the accessory stand out, I too agree with your statement about not letting them completely take over the look.

      Delete
  15. You look lovely here and I always learn something from your posts. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neti! I'm glad you're enjoying the ride :)

      Delete
  16. Great tips! Especially about the weight of your clothes should match your shoes. I just bought a light pant jumpsuit and I wore it yesterday, but I had a hard to determining what type of shoes to wear with it. I went with some light sandals, it sounds like I made the right choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonya! Remember, there are always exceptions to the rule, but overall, this is how I make the determination. Thank you!

      Delete
  17. Excellent post, Glenda, as usual! You're looking so polished, again, as always. Great pieces ... especially that terrific fabric of your skirt. Sweet treatment at your waist, of course. Just a stellar idea. Neat rules, especially 6. So smart! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely look Glenda and great tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Glenda,
    you know what you can wear and in which way it looks amazing! This outfit is such a wonderful example! This skirt we both have and I am amazed to see in which different ways I can match it.
    The shoes are to die for!! Divine... fell in love at first sight!! :)

    have a gorgeous week
    in Germany it´s very cold
    Dana
    http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Dana. You're very sweet! It was love at first sight for me too. I love Michael Kors.

      Delete
  20. Yours is even better than the inspiration! LOVE!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, love this outfit! Its totally gorgeous! Great advice too! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have such a hard time with belts because I carry a lot of weight around my waist, so they never seem to look quite right. I do love yours, though and I think it's perfect for that skirt. But I can't take my eyes off of those shoes - they are TFD!

    Alicia
    spashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way when I first saw the shoes :O

      Delete
  23. That's an statement belt for sure Glenda. You wear it so ladylike, gorgeous. Lovely details on the heels.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good post! I haven't always liked belts but I'm really starting to like them! Good accent or statement piece for sure! Love the texture of your skirt too!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't live without a good belt. My skirt received a lot of attention on this post :)

      Delete
  25. Lovable, lovable belt, Glenda! It's always surprising to see how a well chosen accessory can give an extra ( chic ) touch to an outfit!! I think I should glance in my closet and search for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this outfit!! I want the belt and the shoes!! Great.
    As for accessories....I am bad. I usually tend to put too much on. And necklace, and bracelet etc. Even though I know that this is not nice looking. Having a hard time to stick to one attention piece.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda