9.11.2014

A Fashionable HIIT

I am not a fitness instructor or health physician. 
Please consult with your doctor before beginning any type of physical fitness schedule.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you have been following So What to Twenty for some time, then you know that I am a proponent of the fitness B4 fashion philosophy. I strongly believe that we should take care of ourselves both physically as well as emotionally. Especially women of a certain age. During this time of our lives, we have given so much of ourselves, and our muscle tone begins to deplete at an accelerated rate. I am a strong advocate of the mind/body connection. There have been many days when I would find myself in a not-so-pleasant mood. Rather than sulking or enjoying a pity-party, I have made the decision to grab my workout gear and sweat the annoyance away. By the end of my workout, I always feel 100% better physically and emotionally. Exercise always clears my head and enables me to concentrate on what is important. In essence, you receive dual benefits by making exercise a part of your daily life.

Back on May 21st, I did a post called Sarong'd where I told you that I had slacked off a bit on my daily workout. That neglect showed up in my inability to fit comfortably into my clothing. Since I don't have the type of income that allows me to simply spend freely, and I wasn't happy with the idea of purchasing larger sizes anyway, I decided to up the ante and start a more aggressive workout schedule. So, on July 8th, after taking on the new schedule, I did a post called LEGZ, in which I shared with you my current workout schedule and routine.


Since the LEGZ post, I have stepped it up even further by participating in a very challenging program called HIIT.  HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training): A training technique in which you give all-out, one hundred percent effort through quick, intense bursts of exercise, followed by short, sometimes active, recovery periods. This type of training gets and keeps your heart rate up and burns more fat in less time. I'm not going to sugar-coat this type of training...It is very intense and not for the faint of heart. Let's put it this way, since beginning HIIT, I have dropped two dress sizes. But let me also add this bit of important information - I am not a big eater and my genetic makeup comes from a long line of petite people who were also very physically active. Because the HIIT training is very high energy, I have had to increase my caloric intake. On an average, I would probably consume no more than about 1200 calories per day. I have had to increase it by 2000 to take in at least 3200. This has been a HUGE challenge for me, because after working out, I tend to lose my appetite. So, when I eat, I dive into whole foods which consist of good carbs, and protein. I try my darnedest to stay away from processed foods.


As I type this post to you, I just completed Day 3 of a 5-Day HIIT. There are many HIIT workouts available on YouTube, however I have found that Fitness Blender works best for me. Here is Day 1 of Fitness Blender's 5 Day Workout Challenge for you to check out and perhaps try:


I know my workout is rigorous and may be intimidating to some. And I know some of you have stated you don't like exercise. I understand that sentiment. At one point in my life I didn't care for it either, but after the birth of my first son (17 years ago), I have since made it a part of my life. Experts say that it only takes repeating something for 28 days in order for it to become a habit. I suggest start small - even if it's a walk around your community, or stretching each morning...do something to get yourself started. Like I stated earlier, I just completed Day 3 and man do I ache! But like any fitness junky, I feel as if I didn't accomplish anything unless I have that muscle soreness. So yes, I view it as a good thing. Am I sad I dropped two sizes? Nope. The only negative is that I have had to dish out $$ in order to have my wardrobe altered. Maybe I should take up sewing{wink}

Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  twitter

Link Up:
Weekend Wind-Down Party
Photographs by Freddy

34 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe you had to increase your calories that much! I just started going back to the gym last week. Doing elliptical and weights. I don't like anything intense so I don't think I'd like HIIT, but I sure do admire you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! It's good you're going back to the gym. At one point I was more into Pilates and yoga, but over the years I've been gravitating more toward interval training. I like the benefits of muscle tone plus weight loss.

      Delete
  2. You go girl! I admire you so much. I can barely do what I do without total exhaustion, I do strength training with a trainer two days a week and cardio the other days. I think I need to pump it up a bit, but what I do now really wears me out. But, the good news is I am down 15 pounds!! Keep inspiring all of us, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam and congrats on the continual weight loss success. HIIT is tough. I never thought I could handle it, but I am and it feels so good :)

      Delete
  3. amazing!! I have never heard of HIIT it looks very intense. I workout every other day and sometimes is hard to find the energy, but when the results show is very gratifying.
    Have a nice weekend!

    http://yaudycristinafashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check it out Yaudy. It's a great workout! And yes, results are gratifying.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this such great inspiration! It makes me want to work harder to drop a dress size and be able to eat!! You always look so fit and pulled together!
    xo,
    Monica
    GlamVolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica! The eating part is hard for me. I'm not use to consuming so much.

      Delete
  5. Am really lazy wen it comes to working out. Pls put me in ur "workout" prayers.
    Pls kindly visit my blog for dandruff, hair odor and cellulite remedies.
    www.makeupcubicle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been a fitness junkie and a very clean eater for the last 2 years. But this Summer, I slacked off so much that I was ashamed. I've done quite a few challenges and fasts and a cleans or two. But now I am after a lifestyle workout regiment that I can life with, sustain my weight, and not have to deprive myself of a glass of wine or a few french fry or two. So I'm in the gym 5 days per week weight training. Two weeks in and I'm down 5lbs. and see a lot of definition in the arms and thighs. I've got my mojo back! :-)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go girl...get it in!!! Weight training is the best :)

      Delete
  7. I've just started Cornel Chin's "Exercise for Everyone" programme, got the book out of the library and I'm actually doing it! Would recommend to anyone who needs to start at the achievable end. It's actually enjoyable! Such a powerful thing to do if you're prone to letting life swallow you up, and are sick of it and ready to start changing some things. Just start jogging on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Kate! I haven't heard of this program. I'll have to check it out. And bravo to you for exercising!

      Delete
  8. Look at you staying all fit and healthy! High five! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I am one of thse who stated they don't like to exercise. It's just not my thing. But I admire you Glenda. Well done! Looks like you really enjoy it, so you go girl! Glenda don't give him ideas, lol. It's still early days, not even a year, though. I like him and I think he likes me too, but that's all for now, time will tell.
    Happy Monday
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're funny, Lenya. I won't give him any ideas {wink}.

      Delete
  10. You are clearly really fit and dedicated. Good for you! I used to be very fit and athletic but my chronic illness does not allow it. I cannot maintain an exercise routine without putting my health in jeopardy but I do try to keep mild exercise in my life. I love to walk and I love yoga. I am not currently able to do those to the extent which I used to but I am taking small steps trying to get back to that place.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your issue with the illness. But, it is good that you still attempt moving your body. Even a small amount is worth it.

      Delete
  11. This is great, I wish I had the motivation or time...I know I can make the time, but after a 3 hour daily commute to work and chores on the weekend, that last thing I want to do is workout - that being said, you have motivated me to get up and move - thanks sis! Thank you for sharing again at the #WWDParty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Glenda :)
    I will not say I have no time, because I have enough time.. there is more NO motivation! I admire and take my hat off to all who can maintain this discipline for a long time. I have so often tried in my life to be a little more sporty. The experiments were tried. It has never become a habit. I even tried it with others. In groups or individuals. As a kind of motivational tool. Unfortunately.. had no success until now. Maybe I'm just too lazy? ;)))

    have a beautiful day
    Dana :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through a time period when I wasn't motivated either. I just went with it. But then, I got up and made an effort. Over time, it became a part of my life, and I love it!

      Delete
  13. Your post remind me that the time to start again with some exercise is come! I definitely have to put the alarm clock 20 minutes earlier in the morning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will make your day move with ease. I promise!

      Delete
  14. You have my deepest respect. I have to refrain from this.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glenda,
    I find this post inspiring, and important. Fitness is crucial to ladies in our age group especially. I admit I am not one to do much other than walking. Yesterday I walked 42 blocks! But I have a gym in my so-op, i think it is time to check it out. Thanks for that gentle kick in the derriere.
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome...but 42 blocks. That's a long haul!

      Delete
  16. oh dear, correction-- co-op..
    silly me!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to increase the intensity of my workouts. I always workout in my home or else walk some outside, but I don't have a gym membership so I like using Youtube too for exercise videos. It is great that you take your health seriously and try to avoid processed foods. It is amazing how much junk is in the grocery store. I skip so many isles when shopping because the majority of my groceries are produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonya, you don't have to belong to a gym to increase, or get a good workout. I don't belong to a gym and I just keep upping the ante with the fitness that I pursue...and also weights. I get 90% of my workouts from YouTube.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda