8.11.2014

Zen City

I'm just returning from a 5-day road trip to the Grand Canyon (Arizona) and Las Vegas (Nevada)...

My husband had a cousin who married in Vegas, so over 40 members of the Harrison clan made the trek to Sin City, for a few days, to witness the nuptials and to just enjoy a good ol' fashioned family vacation. Since we were headed to Vegas, my husband and I thought it would be nice to head out to Arizona first so that our sons could experience the glorious Grand Canyon. My parents had taken my sister and I to the Canyon when we were teenagers and I always remembered how magnificent it truly was. After our stay in the Canyon, we then headed toward Vegas, but first we made a pit-stop at Hoover Dam. One should never go to Vegas without visiting the wonders of Hoover Dam. It's a must see! Since we became parents, my husband and I have always embraced the idea of making our vacations somewhat of an educational experience as well.

I must say that my families little excursion culminated two types of experiences. The Grand Canyon, with its up close and personal connection with nature was very zen-like, (at points, it was so quiet that it felt as if life stood completely still), while our days in Sin City were very fast paced and hectic. I found myself trying to recapture our time in the Canyon. I guess one could say our vacation was somewhat of an oxymoron. But nonetheless, we had a great time. I especially enjoyed watching my sons enjoy the Canyon. It is such a joy re-experiencing life through their young eyes. My husband and I also relished in the idea of being unplugged. Occasionally we did share some photos here and there, but 99.9% of the time was spent living in the moment. It was refreshing. So, here are some shots from our vacation. Don't look for any fashion pictures. You'll be disappointed. Only on one short occasion did I make a little detour into the mall in Vegas (smile). Enjoy!

THE GRAND CANYON (Arizona)
Entrance into the South Rim portion of the Grand Canyon in Arizona

Wild animals roamed freely and undisturbed
Take a moment to watch this incredible ring dance. You'll be amazed! You'll hear me saying, Oh my gosh, throughout. Also, toward the end I lost control of my phone because I tried to avoid a hornet.



Posting with the Hopi Natives. We felt such a connection with them.
The chief enjoyed talking with my husband

We're the kings of the world! My sons couldn't believe their eyes

Don't worry, my son was safe. This portion of the Canyon has levels that you could walk down. He is standing on a ledge. 


HOOVER DAM (Nevada)

My men

Me and my babies


Playing around


LAS VEGAS (Nevada)
The Water Show at the Bellagio


Watching my hubby and his older brother play with the children

A little stroll along the strip with the boys grandfather (my husband's dad)

Iconic fashion brands line the strip, and always make me want to shop!

So, I popped into a more reasonably priced store...Zara

I think I need this skirt in my wardrobe
 
On to the Venetian for the wedding reception

Over the top opulence

Yum - wedding cake


Overall, we had a blast!

Back to reality. Now it is time to get our sons ready for the coming school year. Soon the slow pace of summer will come to an end and I'll be back to chauffeuring my sons back and forth to various school activities. I can still smell the pine from the trees in the Canyon. I can still hear the sounds of the coins dropping from slot machines. I can still feel the hot desert sun against my skin. Vacation never seems quite long enough. At least this one is lingering{wink}


Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  Instagram

Link Up: Visible Monday
Video and Photographs by Freddy & Glenda


24 comments:

  1. woo-hoo, a fabulous trip. I love the pic of your son being "rescued" at the Canyon. And Vegas is the absolute boss. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, we had many people standing around taking pictures of this particular shot. Some went over to recreate the same pose. It was great fun!

      Delete
  2. You and your sweet family really did it up right! I enjoyed the pictures so much. They made me laugh with your kids near the edge and posing like explorers. Looks like it was a culturally rich expedition too.

    My older kids have been out of the house now for over 10 years but I still have a 16 year old at home. He rarely wants to go anywhere with us anymore, unless it's a local restaurant where the food is his taste. So we've halted vacations until he's old enough to leave home alone. I suppose if he had siblings that came along with us he's be more apt to be enthused. So for now we just stay locally. But a new freedom is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joni!
      Lately I have been feeling like I want to take as many trips as possible because I know my sons are getting older. I hope they'll want to continue to hang out with Fred and I. My greatest joy comes from spending time with them. It was a wonderful trip, as they all are. We enjoy our times like this. Lots of laughs. Good times!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what an amazing trip! I really enjoyed your photos, especially the one with the boys falling off the cliff, haha! Vegas is so much fun, glad you had a great time! xo
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our time at the Canyon was magnificent. Vegas was nice because we had a family reunion. But we have been to Vegas so many times that it just seems like home. Vegas is just a short drive for Southern Californians.

      Delete
  4. OMG.. what an awesome trip!! Las Vegas!! Grand Canyon!! When you live in Europe you can only dream of this places! Thank you so much for sharing dear Glenda and showing your cute family!
    Beautiful images....

    Dana
    http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana! And we in the States dream of vacations in Europe. I have always wanted to go to Europe. Hopefully after we have paid our sons through college, my husband and I can take a trip of a lifetime.

      Delete
  5. Great photos Glenda! Thanks for sharing some family moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Sue. I'm glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great trip with the family. Takes me back to having young sons travelling with you, also a trip to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, a lifetime ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, it was a fabulous time. A great mix of both relaxation and city-life.

      Delete
  7. I've been there too when we did a roundtrip to the US some years ago! Seeing these pics brings back a lot of good memories... :-) Looks like you all had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, you have probably been to more places in the States than I have!! Are you sure you're not American?

      Delete
  8. Looks and sounds like a great vacation! I wanna visit the grand canyon some day for sure. Thanks for sharing the experience with us Glenda. Beautiful family too! :)

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Missy! You have got to go. It is God's creation undisturbed. Beautiful.

      Delete
  9. Hi Glenda,
    my family did this trip from Europe last year after my youngest graduated from high school. Seeing your photos brought back memories of a very special family holiday. Now both my kids are doing their own thing (as I write my son is winging his way to Nebraska to be with his girlfriend).
    I love reading your posts.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon I will have an empty nest :(
      I'm not looking forward to it. I so enjoy my family time. I hope my sons stay close to us with their families.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing your vacation...beautiful, fun pictures and a handsome family!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judi. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures!

      Delete
  11. Very interesting post, Glenda! One of the reason of my blogging is to know new places in the world...Arizona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas...the names are so inviting! And what a funny photo of your son on a lower ledge!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post, Glenda ... but you had me going at the staged rescue. I fell for it, so you can tell the guys they got at least one gullible viewer! Such actors ... look at his little face! I'm guessing you were the director and photographer, yes? I'm embarassed, but was happy for a laugh. Even at my own expense.
    Yes, you need the skirt.
    Lovely wedding venue!
    Hope you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a blast. I have enlisted my sister to make the skirt. Yes, I was the photographer. That was great fun!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda