8.20.2014

Dark Liquid

Dark Liquid is #2 in a series: Stay Connected by following one or more of the networks at the end of this post.

Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. 
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Last night I spent a quiet evening alone at home. At one point, I decided to scroll through Instagram, when I was fortunate enough to come across a photo of artist, Joni James of An Artful Closet. In the photograph, Joni stood boldly before me with a butterfly tattoo on her back. I was immediately captivated by this image, not only because of the sly way in which Joni showed off her tattoo, but because I have a great fondness for butterflies. In years past, I have noticed butterflies hovering around me just before something awesome happens in my life... 


After seeing Joni's Instagram image, I decided to pay her blog a visit and read her latest post called, Three Times a Charm. In the post, Joni explains her reasoning behind her ink art. She then goes on to say, "Did you know that a caterpillar doesn't just wrap herself in a cocoon and grow wings? It completely breaks down into a dark liquid. It reforms itself into a new creature." Though I somewhat knew about the butterfly transformation, I had no idea that it broke down into a liquid and completely reforms itself. I was intrigued by this information. My new finding immediately struck a cord within me and my own journey of transformation.


I ponder the stages of life for the caterpillar (click HERE for more information), and find that the stages run eerily parallel with my own...the growing pains (dealing with the disappointments), times of ravenous hunger (not feeling satisfied with what I have), times of vulnerability (dark liquid - my current stage), and then moments of miraculous expansion (oh how I long for and anticipate this stage). 


So today, in my time of vulnerability, I cover myself in dark liquid by wearing an entirely black ensemble with the exception of the crystal accessories that represent the shiny chrysalis that caterpillars surround themselves with while this miraculous transformation takes place; and a magazine clutch purse that represents my hope for what is to come.
Ottoman Sleeveless Dress: Loft
 Black Sunnies: Loft Outlet (options HERE)
Caged Sandals by Michael Kors (options Nordstrom.com)
Magazine Clutch Purse (options on Amazon)

 


In the meantime, I sit quietly while this transformation takes place, for I know, that with time and patience, the outcome will far exceed what my mind could have ever imagined. There will come a day, when from the dark liquid, shall emerge a lovely creature that flutters amongst the flowers; hovering about, in search of a peaceful place where it shall land.



To be continued...{wink}

No. 1 in this series is called Confident. Click CONFIDENT to begin the journey.

Click & join me on the journey to discovering true style on these networks:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  twitter

Link Up:
Visible Monday
Photographs by Freddy

37 comments:

  1. Glenda, you really do have a connection to butterflies and how they hover and remind you that good things are to come. This dark liquid dress with the chrysalis (love that word) earrings makes a perfect celebration of your coming growth. The fact that you anticipate it means it will surely happen.

    Thank you for mentioning me in your post. The next time I see a butterfly I'll think of you and send you positive energy. Better yet, why don't you let me send you some butterfly art I made! If you're game you can email me through the contact tab on my blog, I'd love to surprise you with a momento of this topic.

    And hey, you're also shedding a dark liquid by no longer coloring your grey! Me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am crying. Your gesture is so nice! Thank you Joni. I would be honored to have your work on display in my home :)
      YES, shedding the dark dye too. Love it!!

      Delete
  2. Another Great post and you look Fabulous in this black number. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully and poetically written.

    Bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorg in this LBD Glenda, very chic and sophisticated.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dark liquid look...it is chic and stunning on you! Have you ever seen the solid black butterflies...they are captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look polished and pulled together, love the crystal accents!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently shed dark liquid and emerged into the light. It's worth the wait and the difficulty. You look lovely in your black/dark liquid dress and I know you will emerge stronger. I love the way you share your journey through life with honest and poetic writing. Keep on being Glenda, because she makes the world a better place.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Shawna. Writing is so much easier for me.

      Delete
  8. Hello Glenda , what a wonderful post ! I am myself going through that uncertain stage of my life , getting older trying to accept the changes of my fifty one year old body, and I have decided to try and embrace the changes.
    Like yourself i going to let the grey hair come shining through, you are a inspiration to me and you are gorgeous Best wishes to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lesley. Your comment is so sweet and it made my day. I never feel like I'm an inspiration, but when I write, I always hope that what I say will touch someone as well. I just began to feel that it is time to move on. I am a more seasoned woman. It's time to let my lovely silver show. And besides, when will the dying end. It has to stop somewhere.

      Delete
  9. Somebody painted that bench for you to shine.
    looking so gorgeous Glenda
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always find in your posts something extra which I love! Your today's outfit is very beautiful!
    P.s. I think there is so much to get inspired in the butterflies' life... wonderful insects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dan! And you are so correct about the butterfly :)

      Delete
  11. What an unexpected, interesting and poetic comparison of stages of butterfly's and your own lives, Glenda. Beautifully and touchingly written. You look really gorgeous in this black dress with minimum of accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Olga. I am so glad you enjoyed the comparison.

      Delete
  12. Oh Glenda, you look absolutely stunning. And the message is beautiful too. That quote at the beginning really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am absolutely sure the butterfly is near ready to emerge. Lovely post, and thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look great Glenda! Love the whole ensemble, especially the nice touch of sparkle. And those shoes... cherie at stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, coming from my favorite shoe maven that means a great deal. Thank you!

      Delete
  15. Catching up with you ... looking very beautiful and so centered in your liquid darkness. Process. It's often difficult, but you know the value of that I'm sure. We all will enjoy seeing the transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so correct by saying process is difficult. But a difficulty that is so worth it!

      Delete
  16. I think this dress looks ever so good on you. Very well styled with the clutch, sandals and chrystals.
    Good story too. A bit abstract for me as I have no idea what you want or need at the end of this journey. But that doesn't matter. I will follow you anyway.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clicked on the full story of the butterfly... Very interesting. It is like being formed and born again. Thanks for sharing, I didn't know about the soup either.

      Delete
  17. It's been some from my last visit. But it's not because I've forotten about you but I want to have enough time to read your post fromthe beginning to the end. They are always interesting and wise for me and so is this one. I think most of us have similar stages in life but not everyone can write about it in such a compelling way. Reading your blog brings a lot to my life, thank you for this.
    And you look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mag. It really warms my heart when I read comments like this. I so want my writing to translate into many lives. Thank you for saying this...thank you, thank you, thank you.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda