6.12.2014

Time Flies

"Time Flies. It's up to you to be the navigator."
Robert Orben

Tomorrow, June 13th, will be the One Year Anniversary for So What to Twenty! You know that old adage, "Time flies when you're having fun." This is so very true because this year has been a whale of a good time. I have met so many incredible women and men who blog as well, or simply follow along. I remember in the beginning, posting and waiting in anticipation for my first comment that would come from someone other than my sister or close friend. That comment came from a very stylish New Yorker named Elle of My Daily Costume. I'll never forget that day. I WAS ELATED!! To this very day, Elle and I still comment back and forth on each others blogs.

The Beginning:
One day in June 2013, I woke with a strong desire to start back in fashion writing, and to do so in conjunction with style and fashion photography (I had retired a previous career in writing to launch a cancer support service). I decided that a blog would be a fun and interesting journey to take. At the time of my launch, my life couldn't be more depressing. I was dealing with an illness; my sister, whom I adore had a major heart attack; and I was working at a place that I absolutely loathed. Just to get out of bed and go to this place was a challenge and strain on my psyche. I remember praying for a way out. The way out came almost instantly. Never did I shed a tear. I rejoiced and took hold of my steering wheel and never looked back.

I thought about how I wanted to represent for my blog anniversary. My first idea was to wear frills and go over the top with banners and streamers, etc. Then I thought, Why would I do that? That's not my normal style. I decided that the best way to celebrate is to just be myself...understated with a chill California vibe. In addition, I'll finally share some little unknown facts about myself that were requested of me from Elsie of The Cooking Wardrobe and Debbie of I Love My Lemonade Life. Enjoy!

Today's Look - Twist Neck Tank: Loft, Wide Leg Trousers: Jones New York (options on Shopstyle), Sneakers: Sperry Top-sider, Aviators: Loft, Belt: Nine West

  • My favorite fashion designer is Michael Kors. I just get him!
  • I'm a HUGE lover of Jazz music - big band and smooth jazz and have many friends in the industry.
  • I love to workout and do so at least 4 times per week.



  • I had an opportunity to study fashion in Paris and London during my college years, but the trip was cancelled due to terrorism (and this was 1985).
  • A vacation for me has to include some type of water play. Preferably in the ocean.
  • I'm a germaphobe and hate using public restrooms, handshaking and touching door knobs. 

    • I love living in California.
    • When I cook, I sometimes pretend that I'm a Food Network Star (shh, don't tell anyone).
    • My college years were very exciting. I attended the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising.
    • I cut my shoulder length hair because I spend a large amount of time swimming. It's just easier.
    • My family motto is, Have car-will travel. We love to jump into our car and have a blast enjoying the many things to do and see.
    • I feel uncomfortable having my feet covered up for long periods of time.
    • I'm an introvert by nature. 
    • I love sitting home and reading a good book. Especially Nicholas Sparks.
    • I don't like the taste of wine, but I think wine tasting is very chic. 
    • I'm not a big eater. I usually eat small proportions throughout the day.
    • I'm only 5'2" (many people have stated they thought I was taller).
    • I live by this rule - Get Yourself Out of the Way.
    My dear friends, thank you so very much for taking this journey with me. With this current generation that relies on LIKES so that you'll LIKE them back, I am overjoyed to have readers who are genuine and converse from the heart. For that I say - THANK YOU! You have proven that fashion with the 40+ perspective is alive and well{wink}


    Stay connected by clicking one of these links:
    bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  Instagram

    Photos by Freddy

    50 comments:

    1. Dear Glenda,

      what a wonderful hearttouching post with all this intersting things about you. I have discovered your blog only a few days ago but I don´t want to miss him anymore. I love your way of thinking, your way of living, writing, your personal style. All this together makes you very likeable and attractive.
      Keep on filling this blog with all this beautiful things you did till today. I will stay a regular visitor :)
      We are living on different continents but no matter the distance if we are close in our hearts and thoughts.
      (Hope you understand my bad english.. I´m learning.. will say.. I´m trying ;)

      have a wonderful day
      Dana :)
      http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wow Dana, this is so sweet. Thank you. I am so impressed by you and others who are able to speak another language, other than your own. That is fantastic!

        Delete
    2. Congratulations on your blog anniversary! I think you have a real gift of telling stories and a great fashionist. You are yourself and I believe this is what is the most important here. And I can see you have a lot of fun doing this so do it! I also have a lot of fun reading your posts and looking at your outfits.
      Big hug!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you my friend. I really appreciate you and your kind heart. And I'm glad you look forward to the posts. I am having a great time!

        Delete
    3. Happy Blogiversary! So much fun to learn more about you. Hey! I'm also 5'2"! I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see someone else my size looking as fabulous as you do.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Connie, I thought you were taller. Isn't that strange how photographs make us appear much taller. So many of us are only about 5 feet tall.
        Thank you Connie for your kind and sweet words!

        Delete
    4. Oh, brightest blessings on your blog anniversary Glenda! You know I'm one of your biggest fans. I love your blog! The writing, the photos, the insights, and the little things. All good, it is! Today's post is special...getting to know you a little better. My husband and I very recently saw Ernie Watts and the Marc Seales Trio. It was an intimate concert, and I enjoyed it ever so much. I'm also a big fan of my girl, Diana Krall. And, ahem, I'm usually Giada. I guess if I was a better chef, I'd pretend to be myself, LOL....LOL. I'm such a geek.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We took our budding musician son and his school band mates to hear Ernie Watts last summer at the Los Angeles Country Museum of Art (LACMA) Summer Jazz Series. He was very gracious with the boys and autographed their books and gave them pointers. They were all on cloud 9 for the rest of the week.

        Hello Giada it's nice to meet you. I'm Ina Garten :)

        And I love your blog dear, dear Sue, my fellow shorty.

        Delete
    5. Happy anniversary lovely lady. Cheers to a fabulous upcoming year! Peace, Love & Blessings!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Natasha. Thank you very much!

        Delete
    6. Very nice post. Happy blog anniversary in advance. I enjoyed reading more about you and you look wonderful.

      http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

      ReplyDelete
    7. Happy Anniversary! I had to laugh at your germ statement; my kids ask me all the time how I can be a librarian with my intense dislike of germs and public spaces. It's a little obnoxious how much they both bother me.

      I love love love your outfit, so casual chic.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. When I go to the library, which I love to do, I always wipe the books clean that I check out! :)

        Delete
    8. I enjoyed getting to know more about you. Happy blog anniversary! Love the wide leg pants.

      Sonya

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Sonya, and thanks for keeping us up on the sales!

        Delete
    9. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! I am so glad that you are having a ball with your blog!
      Cheers to many more wonderful posts!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Congratulations! You have done an awesome job...i always look forward to your posts! IT is fun...isn't it??

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Pam, and YES, it is great fun!

        Delete
    11. Love this look! ... and don't worry I pretend I'm on MasterChef when I'm cooking;) I won't judge!

      Happy almost one year!

      xx Cara
      www.carascliche.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It just makes cooking more enjoyable!

        Delete
    12. Happy Blog Anniversary, Glenda. You definitely do radiate a cool California vibe and I think it would be fun to hang out with you. I love this outfit on you, even if your feet are covered up and I love your chic short hair!
      xoxo

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Shawna! When I first cut my hair, women in my culture were completely shocked. When many of them are wearing weaves...I cut my long hair off. Now, the short, natural look is very popular. I love it because it is so easy. My husband cuts it for me :)

        Delete
    13. Hi Glenda Happy blog anniversary! I like your post very much!
      I found that even though we never met we have alot in common by your likes and your not likes. I found you a delight and such a down to earth person!
      Am grateful to have found your blog & I also appreciated you responding every time I comment in your posts
      I hope all the besr for you & your family.
      It be a pleasure to meet you someday!
      Have a beautiful weekend! ;-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, gosh you are so kind. I love responding to you and the others. The relationship is what drives me :)

        Delete
    14. I also wanted to mention I luv music festivals.
      My sister is a huge fan of jazz she often goes to many festivals and invites me.
      she recently to a jazz festival in Washington this past weekend unfortunately I wasn't able to go but she said she had a blast.
      There are so much fun to go to!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Jazz is so amazing. It's good to know that there are others who enjoy it just as much as I do.

        Delete
    15. Simple but so cool outfit. I have always dreamed of wearing outfit like you. I hope i can do it this summer. :-D
      http://blogthebutterfly.wordpress.com/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Go for it! I can imagine you'll look fantastic in it!

        Delete
    16. Happy blog birthday, Glenda! You know I've been a fan for a long time now :-) I love how you don't just post outfits but also share very personal thoughts and stories with us.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Melissa. I appreciate your blog too. It makes me want to search for European beauty products :)

        Delete
    17. Thank you for your wonderful blog! You are a very stylish woman. I enjoy seeing your outfits and find your style very inspiring. Thank you for sharing with us :-) Camla

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, and I'm happy to know you find my style inspiring!

        Delete
    18. This was a fun post. Happy anniversary. I forgot to celebrate my first (somewhere half November 2012). And this look is lovely and laid-back. As usual, looking good.
      Greetje

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Greetje! And, happy belated anniversary :)

        Delete
    19. I'm glad that I found your blog. Happy Anniversary!

      Pam

      ReplyDelete
    20. Congratulations and happy blog Anniversary ! you are a wonderful lady and I love your blog.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so very, very much, Lesley!

        Delete
    21. Glenda,
      I am so proud of you, your blog and your voice. You have come such a long way, and I m so proud to have been taking some steps right beside you,
      You have true style, integrity , and gravitas, and to you
      And your first anniversary ,
      I say Brava! And many years to come!
      XX, Elle
      http://mydailycostume.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Elle, thank you for being such an encourager. I am a true fan of yours ;)

        Delete
    22. Happy Blog Anniversary Glenda. I haven't commented before but I just had to say Happy Anniversary and tell you that I love your blogposts and chic style. I have learnt a lot from you about style. Thank you.
      Best wishes on the next year, Jayne

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Jayne and thank you for the lovely comment! I hope to read more from you again soon. And, I'm happy to know that you are enjoying So What to Twenty ;)

        Delete
    23. I am so happy to have discovered your blog (via Sylvia's 40+ style interview with you). You have wonderful style and I really enjoy your postings.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Rebecca! Sylvia's interview was great fun. I'm thankful for the opportunity she gave me. It allowed me to meet so many fantastic people. Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad you're enjoying So What to Twenty!

        Delete
    24. Gee! is it already a year? Well happy blog anniversary Glenda ((())) Now that's Glenda_ish outfit again ;-) love the wide leg trousers, I am still on the look out for some, though.
      hugs and happy weekend
      Lenya
      FashionDreams&Lifestyle

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, Lenya, its been a year. Time Flies! Thank you for being such a great support. I've had these trousers for years and I love them. I don't care what the trend it. I'll wear them regardless because they are made to perfection. I nice lightweight wool crepe.

        Delete
    25. It was nice getting to know you a little bit better! Enjoyed your post and your style! I am a big reader, too, especially into Victorian mysteries right now. I love people, but I'm introverted enough to enjoy my time alone. Debbie @ ilovemylemonadelife.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks again for the nomination Debbie!

        Delete

    Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda