5.14.2014

Summer Breeze

It appears that summer has already arrived to Southern California. Weather temperatures have been ranging in the 90 to 100 degree mark! On this day, accompanied with high temps is a fierce summer breeze. As my husband and I prepared for this photo shoot, the 1972 hit Summer Breeze by Seals & Crofts kept playing in my head...

See the curtains hangin' in the window
In the evening on a Friday night
A little light a-shinin' through the window
Lets me know every thing's all right

Summer breeze makes me feel fine
Blowin' through the jasmine in my mind
Summer breeze makes me feel fine
Blowin' though the jasmine in my mind
Lyrics taken from http://phonelyrics.com

You may not remember this song, but I most certainly do recall, as a little girl, hearing it play across the car radio as my family took many road trips across the U.S. Perhaps the duo even appeared on American Bandstand. Nonetheless, it was such a perfect song for this hot windy day. And though the park didn't smell of jasmine, more of gardenia, it still reminded me of this iconic tune. What made the shoot fun was that my skirt enjoyed dancing about with the wind. Although I'm glad I didn't have a Marilyn Monroe moment.

May 14, 2014
Today's look is on repeat from a post I did on November 5, 2013 called Orange Burst.  I paid a mere $5.00 for the knife-pleat midi skirt from a store that has since closed it's doors. Now, the skirt is very popular with a bold painterly print, pleating, and midi length. Because of the busy pattern, on both occasions, I selected to style it with a simple white top, and an orange cardigan. You'll see that I simply switched the shoes and accessories. Back then, I styled the skirt with a more casual flair. Here is how I styled it then...

November 5, 2013

Today's look is a bit more grown-up and coquettish. A wide leather belt accents my waist, barely there strappy sandals and tank top make this look appropriate for many types of summer time occasions. The only item I'm wearing that is new is the basic white tank which is available at Loft.



Last year, when I purchased this skirt, I fell in love with it because it was pretty, unique, and I knew I would find a special place for it in my wardrobe. Back then, I had no idea that knife-pleated midi skirts were about to make their big return. It proves that (tweet this) when you buy what you love, it doesn't matter what everyone else is wearing{wink}

Check out my feature on the Fabulous After 40 website by clicking SPRING FLORALS!

Stay connected by clicking one of these links:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  Instagram

Link Up: Fashion a la mode
Photograph by Freddy 

39 comments:

  1. You lucky!! Here in Germany we have November weather, rainy, cold, stormy.
    Your outfit is great. This coral color with white fits perfect to you. Beautiful the skirt with the lovely flowers.
    I love your sandals :)

    have a nice week
    Dana
    http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Californians are fortunate to have such lovely, warm weather all year round. Thank you, I'm glad you like this look!

      Delete
    2. According to the weather forecast we will next week get hot summer days ... finally!!!
      So we can sho a little bit more of our summer outfits :)

      Delete
  2. Love this outfit very much. The skirt is very pretty and you've styled it well on both occasions!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elsie! Subtle differences between the two...I know, but gives it a slightly different appeal.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful outfit, Glenda and I do indeed remember that song. I used to sing it in choir in high school too. That skirt is so pretty I can see why you would buy it regardless of trends. I am wearing orange and pink today too; they are such pretty summer colours. Oh and I must tell you, when I first saw the photo of you in the wind, in the little thumbnail with your blog link, I thought you were jogging. I said to myself, well Glenda is really getting daring with her poses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Shawna, I am laughing hysterically. Now that I look at the picture, it does look like I'm running! Over the years, I have grown to appreciate pink and orange together. I'm glad you like the outfit :)

      Delete
  4. Glenda it looks totally different now than back in 2013. It's amazing. I have to say I love your today's version best, it's chic, it's Glenda_ish. You look stunning!
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot something, yeah what else is new ;-).....well I know how hard it is to find the right red pencil skirt, like you I was looking for ages until I found this one. It was love at first sight and it was a steal too. Sometimes tiny little local shops are the best. Hope you'll find the right one soon Glenda. I saw one at H&M the other day but to be honest, I didn't liked it much.

      Delete
    2. Funny how switching the accessories can change a look. I'll have to stop by H&M to see if I can find the red pencil skirt. I see tons of black, but rarely red.
      Thanks for the heads-up!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! Worthy of a repeat! Heels really do elongate the silhouette. Having said that, I still adore flats, and wear them often. Having said that, LOL...I am really enjoying all the new heels I have been adding to my shoe wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heels are so pretty to wear, but honestly Sue, I love my flats as well. Especially a nice strappy sandal.

      Delete
  6. Glenda,
    I am not sure what i should gush over first. That gorgeous 5 dollar skirt that rivals any of the features fro the finest stores, check out Farfetch, bergdorfs, or neimans, and tell me that I am not right. Or..
    you favorite, all time song.... I was a teen when that song hit, and it hit and took flight!
    You do justice to the song in this outfit,
    Mostly importantly, I see joy in your face and that gives me even more pleasure.
    A treat, dear Glenda!
    XX, Elle

    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I paid $5 for it either Elle. And I agree with you whole-heartedly. I ventured into Nordstrom recently and saw many pleated skirts and said to myself, "Mine looks just as good!"

      I felt fun the day of the photo shoot. The wind was so fun to play with in the skirt!

      Delete
  7. Oh my this skirt, I literally just picked my jaw up off the floor... STUNNING, absolutely stunning Glenda!

    xx Cara

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look Great in this outfit and you know it. I like this version more because I love the shoes and shoes are so my thing. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous skirt - and how gorgeous you are in this coral outfit, Glenda! I love seeing beloved pieces restyled. It's always fun to buy new stuff, but there is something very fun and satisfying to find new combinations with old pieces. Great post! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Natalia! One of the fun aspects about fashion is shopping your own closet and coming up with new ideas. Thanks my friend!

      Delete
  10. Your style is always so impeccable and flattering. You look so nice in that pleated skirt that i just can't stop admiring. Very beautiful colors too. You look great! Boy i want your weather and the breeze too :).

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Busola. It is a fun skirt to wear!

      Delete
  11. Oh Glenda, I'm your great fan! You look fantastic. The combination is perfect for such weather. Looking forward to your new outfits!
    fashionfascinate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a sweetheart. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous outfit Glenda ! and i love the orange colour with the white gorgeous ! best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fabulous look, Glenda! You really look amazing! Love the silhouette - the floaty skirt, the fitted tank, the sexy strappy sandals - it's an outfit that has date-night written all over it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Mary and thank you! I can see wearing this wine tasting with my husband :)

      Delete
  14. I’ve chosen this to be one of my “What I Love” looks for this week. I hope you'll keep an eye out on my blog today.

    Terry
    http://terrystwocents.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great skirt! And $5? Nice.

    I remember that song too. Definitely a summer classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great song. I'm humming it at this very moment!

      Delete
  16. There are songs that evocate moments of our past...and sometimes also with perfumes happens the same to me! You can describe wonderfully well the atmosphere of a summer day!

    Great photoshoot! Very nice skirt which goes perfectly with your orange cardigan...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go head miss thang! Thanks for joining my link-up! Great style!
    xo,
    Lisa
    www.lisaalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking beautiful in it. This time I thought to myself, I would have styled it exactly the same (and was very pleased with myself as I look up to you for your styling skills).
    Only once I experienced the same feeling of being ahead of fashion... When I bought kimono tops two years ago. They became fashion the year after I purchased them.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda