4.08.2014

When Cranky Is My Middle Name

This would not be a legitimate blog for women if I didn't bring up the touchy subject of hormones. Don't worry though, I'm not going to spat off stats and medical procedures. Instead, I'm going to take the more delicate approach and show you how I provide myself with a bit of comfort when I'm feeling moody, irritable, stressed-out, stank, (insert your favorite word ___________).

Here is my little slice of paradise that gives me the sense of calm that I so desperately need when cranky is my middle name...it's quick and simple and requires just a tiny bit of effort. In my garden grows two of my favorite herbs - organic Lavender and Rosemary. Lavender is known for its calming and relaxing qualities, while the Rosemary scent is very therapeutic and carries with it the ability to soothe an aching head. Which is what I needed.

Lavender in my garden

Rosemary in my garden

I venture out into my garden and I cut clippings of each herb, and take them into the house...


Next, I reach for my handy-dandy SpaFinder from Avon (I received this in a women's health conference goody bag). The SpaFinder is a microwavable unit that is used for creating steam. I place water at the bottom of the unit; next a put my two cuttings into the water; I place a moist face towel on top of the water (in the blue caddy); place the lid on the unit and place it in the microwave for 3 minutes.





Once I remove the unit from the microwave, you can smell the aroma coming from the 3 tiny holes at the top of the SpaFinder. It smells marvelous. I remove the lid (being careful because it is hot) and allow the towel to cool a bit. Next, I head to a quiet area in my home and place the Lavender and Rosemary infused towel over my face and enjoy inhaling the sweet aroma. Typically I fall asleep while partaking in my aromatherapy treatment.

After a nap, I wake-up to enjoy a tall glass of iced water and a good read, like Darling Magazine, which makes me appreciate my womanhood.

Tell me, what do you do when you feel ___________?{wink}


Like what you see? Then follow me...
bloglovinGoogle+ / email / Pinterest / twitter / Instagram


Photographs by Glenda


30 comments:

  1. Great treatment for when you are feeling that way...fortunately for me I don't get moody but this would be a perfect way to end the work week - a Friday night ritual without the nap but with a glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Antionette, that would be a great Friday night ritual!

      Delete
  2. I love lavender. I like to spray lavender water on my pillow and sheets. It is so soothing and relaxing not to mention that I like the fragrance. Good tip, Glenda.

    Sharon
    http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lavender is a wonderful scent. I'm glad you liked the tip :)

      Delete
  3. Yes lavender is perfect. We love and use it religiously in our home. Very soothing.
    /Madison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is. Thank you so much for the comment!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful ritual at home. When I need something like it, I go walking or swimming or yoga or day spa or British comedy. :) But I think I will add aromatherapy to my list for an emergency. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Natalia, I love Pilates and swimming. The aromatherapy is just a touch of something special.

      Delete
  5. This is so nice. I have both of these in my yard too and what a great idea. When I feel low or negative I try and put a smile on my face which sounds simple but it is effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds nice...simple sounds. I could imagine the sounds of birds chirping, ocean waves. Gosh I love the ocean.

      Delete
  6. Lavender is one of my favorite scents. I also lucked out because it's in the shade of my favorite color - purple.

    It's pretty darn cool how you made your own lavender scent to calm your body. And it didn't seem to be a long process, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super easy Vivi. Give it a try!

      Delete
  7. Great post Glenda. Sounds like a nice treatment to yourself. Thx for sharing. For me it's the scent of a yc, mostly citrus or green scent, trying to shut out the world.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also use lavender oil a lot too for migraines. It's very soothing. Great post Glenda!
    http://thecookingwardrobe.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Glenda .
    YEs so nice to able to that.
    I ♥ do aromatherapy myself it makes me feel so refresh and then I can take on the day!
    A Good read is a must.Tk u for sharing
    Have a wonderful week! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds heavenly, Glenda! For me, there's nothing more relaxing than taking a long seam shower at bedtime, and massaging my feet with a wonderful cream I discovered called Moroccan Rose Otto Body Cream by Ren. Works like a charm to banish "cranky" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary that too sounds like heaven. I am a sucker for a great foot cream.

      Delete
  11. Your at home spa sounds so good. I do use a lavender spray on my bedsheets but I know your fresh grown herb is so much better. This is the first I heard of Spafinder & Darling Magazine. . .have to check it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling is so womanly. You will enjoy it!

      Delete
  12. I have a disability that causes me chronic pain in my lower back which is always worse if I'm stressed out. I also have PTSD (from the cause of my disability), which increases stress levels almost exponentially. Bad combination. Doctors' orders? Relax as much as I can. Soooo, every night, I light incense, take a hot bath (which also helps with pain), and then lie on ice packs (also for the pain) and watch Murder She Wrote while sipping a martini.

    When it's "that time of the month," my pain skyrockets and my mood plummets. Reading one of the Narnia series helps. Oh, and I buy vintage brooches whenever I feel down, whatever time of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain Charlotte. I know that when your back hurts, everything hurts. I like your idea to buy vintage brooches :)

      Delete
  13. I love lavender and rosemary. My mum is so crazy about rosemary she snips off little bits of it to carry around in her pocket and sniff periodically. I like to use a lavender scented organic bubble bath to relax. Sometimes I burn lavender incense too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why your mum would keep Rosemary on her. I use to have a cream by Origins that contained peppermint that was used to place on your temples when you had a headache.

      Delete
  14. This sounds heavenly! I may have to invest in one of those!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a good idea! I'm now entering *that* phase of my life and, oh my word, it's nothing nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda