4.26.2014

A Mini Circle

I have read many articles on how a woman of a certain age should dress, and unfortunately most of them begin with the word DON'T. You know how they begin...DON'T do this and DON'T do that...yadda yadda yadda. Sure there are times when certain styles and cuts should be worn at your discretion, but overall, if you can still rock a look, then - So What to Twenty!

I receive many lovely comments stating that I know how to dress my body. So, I thought I would share with you my secret. I am 5 feet - 2 inches tall with a hourglass figure and petite frame. And let me not forget, I am also long waisted with a very short inseam. In other words, I have short legs. Follow me so far? Do I find any of these traits a fault? No, I do not, and I refuse to treat them as such. I am a combination of both my mother and my father's body make-up, and I have learned to accentuate what I've got.

For the purposes of this post, I have chosen an outfit that some would place in the DON'T category and consists of some of my favorite pieces. Nothing is new (except the belt). Today's Look: Mini Circle Skirt (old) - Kohl's, Tank Top - Loft, Puka Shell Belt by Anthropologie but purchased on eBay (some still available), Sandals by Michael Kors, Clutch is vintage, Simplify bracelet by Bohemian Spirit Jewelry.


The mini circle skirt could be considered one of the tricky clothing items that "experts" may place on the avoid list. Here are the reasons why:
  1. Mini (above the knee)
  2. Circle skirt (widens the hips)
  3. High Waist band (tough to pull of with a full chest)
However, because of my height and body type, this type of skirt works well and is one of my favorite go to pieces. Here's why:
  1. Because of my stature, mini skirts usually fall just at the knee or slightly above the knee. On a taller woman, much more thigh will be on display.
  2. The fullness of the circle skirt only compliments my already curvaceous silhouette.
  3. The wide waist band can be done because of my long waist. The long waist gives me much more room between my natural waist and my bosom. If I were short-waisted, the wide band would sit right underneath my chest and would make me appear larger than I actually am.






May I suggest, that if you wish to give a look like this a go, simplify your look with uncomplicated pieces. A basic, fitted top will pair nicely with the flare of the skirt. A fun belt to decorate the waist, and killer shoes to adorn the feet. Where would this outfit take me? Anywhere that I would want it to go{wink}

Stay connected by clicking one of these links:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  Instagram

Link Up: Mis Papelicos
Photographs by Freddy  
Let's Collaborate


36 comments:

  1. I like your look and agree with the idea of simplify ... I often do the same!
    Your skirt and top suit your figure, and always wear wonderful sandals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the word Simplify etched in my mind and consider it each time I dress. Thanks Dan!

      Delete
  2. I prefer circle skirts for the very reason you mention. I also prefer the higher waists of circle skirts because they act as a girdle. However, I'm busty and short waisted, so it's a delicate balance.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of the band as creating a girdle effect, but hey, you are right. It does hold me in. Thanks Daenel!

      Delete
  3. I love this look on you Glenda! You hit the nail right on the head there. KNOW YOUR BODY then dressing it wouldn't be a problem! The belt and bracelet just takes the look to another level. Loooooove! XO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elsie! Isnt this belt killer? I just love it and cant wait to wear it with other items. My creative juices are flowing :)

      Delete
  4. I'm the same height as you, so I love stores with nice petite sections. You always look great and that is a great tip, dress for your body.

    Sonya
    Sonya Everyday With Sonya K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dress for your body and it will remove a great deal of stress!

      Delete
  5. Great outfit and this is true that you know how to dress your body! All pieces of this combination work very well together and you look very natural, sexy and classy. The sandals and belt do great job here. I like it and agree with all your comments. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. U look gorgeous! Effortless chic! Love it!
    www.imperfectmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! I totally agree with you. As long as you look good in an outfit and it looks flattering, then you should just wear it, no matter what age it is labelled as! You're looking good as always again, Glenda, this is a really cute outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! I'm glad you like this look :)

      Delete
  8. Love the outfit especially the skirt! You look lovely as usual.....As someone who has a short torso and long legs let me say I've spent countless nights wishing for a long waist :) as our minds mature we learn to love what we've been given :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cookie, and you are so very right!

      Delete
  9. This entire look is gorgeous! I never realized that you were 5'2" (not a bad thing:)) you seem so much taller in photos!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that a lot Cara. Nope, only 5'2"

      Delete
  10. Glenda ,
    I must say that when it comes to do and don't you really know your stuff. Do some donuts in terms of lists, canned lead one astray, and can steer people in the wrong direction sometimes. You are classic stylist and a fashionista. You certainly know what to wear to maximize your locks and you carry every outfit with panache. I love the skirt and I agree with you the way it fits you is excellent. The texture is beautiful and I love the way you have assess arise that. I also like these neutral colors on you and of course, I am crazy about those shoes. I know that I also wear a lot of things that at 56 would put me in the don't category, but to that I would simply say, "So what to 20, "
    With admiration and love, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, don't worry about the errors, I completely understand. Thank you so much about the wonderfully kind words. I feel the same way about you and your style. I can't wait each week to see your new looks. Both...many of us can arise and say, "So What to Twenty!"

      Delete
  11. Oh dear, I am so sorry about these typos, I am using a dictation feature since I have trouble seeing it night...I meant do and don't' s , and not do some donuts...!!!!
    I do have problems with my eyes that glasses can not correct, I am so sorry.
    I also meant looks and not locks....
    I think I should put commenting at night in my Don't list!
    XX, Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Elle. Don't worry about it :)

      Delete
  12. This outfit looks great on you and you are so right to say that the 'rules' are somewhat flexible. It helps to know your body and the variations on your shape. I love the details on the wasitband of that skirt. I love the design of the fabric too.
    Have a great week, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shawna! The waistband is actually a belt that I purchased on eBay.

      Delete
  13. Fabulous skirt!! Knowing your body type definitely goes a long way in helping you identify pieces that fit and you sure execute it very well. You look great!

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are looking pretty <3
    http://theknotstory.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know your body better than anyone, and it's obvious in this fabulous outfit! This is a great selection for you and for all the right reasons. I'm busty, short-waisted and tall. And I regularly wear everything I'm told not to wear... but then again, I just like to break rules. If I like what I see in the mirror, then I know it'll work; if not, off it comes, even if it's the "latest style"!
    xo ~kim & chloe @ popcosmo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect rule of thumb. If YOU like what YOU see!

      Delete
  16. You look as gorgeous as always Glenda. Guess what I am exactly 5 feet 2 inches like you. Cool!
    Happy Monday
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look so tall Lenya. But then again, others think I'm taller too :)

      Delete
  17. This is simply lovely outfit, i sometimes get fed up with the rules of what you are and not supposed to wear when you get to a certain age i am 51 and i feel if i feel alright in what i wear that all that matters. Best wishes Glenda .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Leslie. Thebrules make me feel as if my wardrobe should be contained inside of a box.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda