3.27.2014

To Thine Own Self be True

I find it very difficult to jump onto the trend bandwagon. For reasons that I couldn't explain until my latter years, when I notice an item...or anything as a matter of fact, being discussed or worn in droves, I tend to push away from it. I think it stems from my high school days. In the early 80s, the big trend was to wear Bermuda shorts, argyle knee-high socks and penny loafers. I was one of the first to wear this preppy trend to school. At first this new look was looked down upon as strange, and I was greeted with laughter. The teasing didn't disturb me in the least. Perhaps it was my inner Isabella Blow (who I had no idea existed at the time), but I viewed the stares and comments as a form of flattery. As time went on, I noticed more fellow classmates sporting the look. I would immediately retire the items from my closet in fear that I would see myself coming and going.

Isabella Blow was a magazine editor and fashion muse

As time went on, I discovered that my strange aversion toward trends evolved from the over-exposure that some items or subjects received. At an early age, I grew fond of the precious jewelry in my mother and grandmother's wardrobes. In addition, the unique items found at vintage flea markets, and boutiques began to find a special place in my heart and my closet - And thus, my great love for classic and vintage items developed.

This year, when the big Pantone Color of the Year announcement was made, I, like others, was excited to see which color(s) were selected. For myself, the excitement didn't foster because I planned on making a mad-dash to the stores to purchase the latest items that were now doused in the new color. No, I simply enjoy seeing which colors already appear in my existing wardrobe. To be perfectly honest, I was quite disappointed in the choice. I find Radiant Orchid to be somewhat pushy. I knew that this color and I would not be good friends.

Radiant Orchid - Pantone's Color of the Year

Another example of when I bucked the system is when the shoe trend changed to the higher-than-high heels with the large platform. I DON'T LIKE THEM. Not one pair found a spot in my shoe collection. When I went shoe shopping and saw them taking center stage, all I could do was hope and pray for their demise. I am so thankful that they are dying a slow death, and once again being replaced by dainty, ladylike styles.

R.I.P.

"To Thine Own Self be True."
 William Shakespeare

What is the point of this post? Is it to taunt trends? Absolutely not! Am I saying I never buy trends? Of course I will! On occasion, I will buy something trendy, but when I do, it is something that I know will fit in with my existing wardrobe and works well with my personal style. The point of this post is to state this simple fact...You don't have to follow trends to look fashionable. In fact, the truly gifted in fashion and style have the uncanny ability to look fashionable without having a single overly exposed and overly accessible item on their body. Wouldn't you agree? Get to know yourself...your likes and dislikes, what works for you and what doesn't. Trust in the words of Shakespeare and know that wearing what is trendy isn't necessarily what works for you{wink}

Stop by to see my feature on the FIDM Style Project
Stop by to see my interview on Blogspotter 

Like what you see? Then follow me...
bloglovinGoogle+ / email / Pinterest / twitter / Instagram
Photographs from Google Images

26 comments:

  1. If you happen to be lucky enough to have been born with a style gene, which you so obviously have, you just KNOW when something is right for you. Seriously. I think style can be cultivated and learned but mostly it is innate. I truly believe that. Like perfect pitch or athletic ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, style and fashionable are two different subject matters to me. On this post, I'm speaking more of fashion. I read and hear about people dashing out to buy the latest and greatest trends without giving a thought to how it truly fits in with them personally. I'm just saying that you don't have to spend tons of money chasing after "trends" to still look put together.

      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
    2. I agree with you, Glenda! Trends in my perspective can give us an additional and sometimes unexpected focus, which can be good for our creativity, and we are free to choose what resonates with us. I have very similar feelings about trends to what you describe here. You are a trendsetter, not a follower definitely.

      Delete
    3. Natalia, you have your own style as well. I'm not totally against trendy items, because yes, like you stated, they can add depth to a closet. My concern is when I person is truly seeking to find their personal style, they simply mimic what they see over and over, or what is being advertised as the latest and the greatest.

      Delete
  2. So you already answered the question for my update tomorrow Glenda ;-) So you are either a clairvoyant or you are able to read my mind.........
    Well great post Glenda. I agree and on the other hand I am not with you. I think trends are a nice thing to add new style to your wardrobe, how shall I put it? They make me play around, let me discover a new look. A look I haven't created myself something like that. e.g. I never liked printed jeans, jeans for me meant to be blue jeans. One day out of curiosity I took one of those colored jeans, when I looked at the mirror I saw a *new* me. It opened up new possibilities to play to have fun. Of course you are right and there's no need to hop on every new trend but there is still the possibility you might be surprised by the new look. Hope that makes any sense, lol.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the point that they are fun to play around and add a new dimension to your look. My point is when people just run out and buy whatever the the "new thing" regardless if it works for them. But I still stand that a person doesn't have to wear trends to look fashionable.

      Delete
  3. I have always looked for items that I love and not what's on trend. The simple fact is to know what works for you. Killer heels are not my thing because I am very tall and can't walk in them anyway (uncomfortable much :-0). I prefer to be unique than trendy. Good read Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my exact point Elsie...buy what you love. Do not buy just because the industry says its the next best thing since sliced bread.

      Delete
  4. I keep abreast of trends but only buy what suits me and that I would wear even if it wasn't a trendy item. This is a great post filled with good advice, Glenda.

    Sharon
    http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like the post Sharon. I completely agree with you! Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  5. I remember being a trend setter in High School after moving from New York to Delaware, then a trend follower in College being in Delaware with friends from New York Jersey and DC. Now I am comfortable in my own skin and love to read about the trends but then put a twist on them to make them my own. Those heels, yes, I have a pair in my closet (gold) but they were only for looks, going to the party that I will be sitting most of the night, but they too will be donated shortly - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have broken my neck in shoes that high! You're brave for attempting them.

      Delete
  6. Very insightful read Glenda! Thanks for the encouraging words of faith and fortitude. I have tons of faith but the fortitude is going to have to be created. Big challenge still in front of me = chemo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an encouragement to me Renae. Your positive attitude radiates from within :)

      Delete
  7. Hey Glenda!! Great interview on Blog Spotter!! Congrats. You look amazing and I love your take on it all. I love fashion for it's variety and potential for self expression, but as you so rightly point out, it's the self expression that really counts. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your unique and individuality Jean. Thanks for reading the interview!

      Delete
  8. Glenda,
    I so agree with you. I love to watchtower he trends, always . I adopt them sometimes, but in my own way, and always with an unexpected element along with it...it is just how I am.
    I also am not fond of radiant orchid, which I know you know, but can see a place for it..somewhere?
    Hideously high shoes are not for me, but I do like a platform, and a shoe that gives my frame a bit more height..
    I wonder if the flat form is a comfy show?
    Thoughtful post, once again!
    XX, Elle

    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I'm not knocking trends at all. I think they are fun to play with, but I can't plan my entire wardrobe around them. I would never be satisfied with what I have because they are always changing.

      Delete
  9. Just read your interview and it was well written and true to your keen sense of self and belief that one style is something that has to be tailor made according to what one desires rather than the outside world of trends. I know that your voice is unique and credible , and that your style is one to watch and admire... And I do !!
    XX, Elle

    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle! I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. I believe a great interview comes with good questions. I give credit to Blogspotter for being so insightful. I can't imagine myself being anyone other than myself. I know you have the same outlook Elle.

      Delete
  10. Glenda, I am so with you on the platform heel trend! I hate hate hate it. Pumps like that just look really unflattering imo. And I'm also not too crazy about radiant orchid as color of the year. I liked last year's color a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa! I have been booted out of your feed. I have retried and tried again to get back on and it not happening. Do you know what's up?

      Delete
  11. I completely agree (especially on account of the horrid oversized platform heels)! While their are trends I like, I never go for them because of the masses I go for them because they suit me and my style.

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You own your look Cara and that is why I am such a big fan of yours. Your look carried a very drecognizable Cara factor.

      Delete
  12. I think many of us feel that way about trends; I know I do. I started a blog post about disliking and trends and never published it -not sure if it's still in my draft file or not- and I find that generally I rarely like the trends. Sometimes when something is around for a long time my eye does get used to it and I may change my mind but it's safe to say I ignore about 90% of trends or more. I am not interested in colours because they are in, I know which colours I like and if they happen to be trendy and become more available, that's great and if not I just wait for them or I find them in thrift shops. I don't wear heels higher than 2.5' period no matter what is trendy. I don't wear leopard print or care what the latest handbag trend is. I don't like statement necklaces or nail art either, or at least I should say I don't like any of these things for me. I think I could keep going. The list of what isn't for me seems to be longer than the list of what I like. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read your completed post on the subject. I dont dislike trends. I believe they are necessary for progress and it is interedting to see which will become classic. I just hope that individusls would buy what truly speaks to their style, and not just buy for the sake of buying.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda