2.02.2014

Just Dandy

Hi Friends!

During my college years at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM), one of my favorite classes was the Evolution of Apparel. It was very interesting to learn about the different centuries of fashion. Today, I am inspired by the 18th and 19th century Dandy, either male or female. First, let me give you a brief description of a Dandy:

Female Dandy -  A woman who emphasizes a life of passion expressed through personal style, leisurely pastimes, charm, and cultivation of life’s pleasures.

Male Dandy -  Also known as a beau or gallant is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and leisurely hobbies, pursued with the appearance of nonchalance in a cult of Self. Historically, especially in late 18th- and early 19th-century Britain, a dandy, who was self-made, often strove to imitate an aristocratic lifestyle despite coming from a middle-class background.

Isn't it odd how we got away from referring to men, who care about their appearance, as Dandy to the term Metro-sexual? I much prefer Dandy. There is something whimsical and fun about the word. I often think of the images that Scott Schuman (the Sartorialist) captures of men. Many times, these men and their style of dress reminds me of the Dandy...Proper, nostalgic, refined, tailored, elegant.  Stay tuned until the end of this post for a glimpse into the world of a modern day Dandy in a video made by the Sartorialist.

Today's Look: Embroidered Midi-Dress from Anthropologie (old), Seersucker blazer by International Concepts (old), Marc Alpert Riders (I've had since being a teenager. Read the story HERE), Ascot scarf (vintage), Aviators - Loft, Polish is Foxy by Revlon.
 

 
Dandelion :)




And now, a beautifully produced YouTube video called Lunch for 25, edition III by Scott Schuman - the Sartorialist. Enjoy the video and may you have an incredible week of style and grace{wink}

 
Like what you see? Then follow me...
bloglovinGoogle+ / email / Instagram

Link Ups:
Monday Bloom
Mix It Mondays
Monday Must Haves

Photographs by Frederick D. Harrison

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful outfit. And you picked the right name for it: just dandy.
    Your much loved boots are perfect for the light colours.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greetje. Part of the fun is thinking up a name for the post. I love my boots with this look too :)

      Delete
    2. I found out that the title of the post and the first few lines and the "meta description" were crucial for more "organic search". In simple words: to get more viewers. I try not to let that influence my writing, but if I can bend it a little to conform these requirements, I will.
      Greetje

      Delete
  2. Interesting post Glenda. I've always had a thing for the word "dandy". You look lovely in the great outfit of soft whites. Full skirt, fitted jacket and scarf, all fab when worn together. Love the piece on the stylish men. Men in the US need to get some tips from the great styling shown here!

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect southern California dandy outfit! You look great Glenda, and I always appreciate your knowledge of fashion. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the dandy look, both on men and women. That blazer you're wearing here is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda this dress is GORGEOUS!!!!! May I borrow it pretty please (I know you would not part with it) You look glamorous and so elegant!! Well for me the perfect Dandy is Oscar Wilde, ever since I read Dorian Grey way back as a teenager, there was a photo of the author and he not even looked like a Dandy he was one. And I love the look BTW. Nothing wrong about caring about ones outfit, men and women.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenya, you are absolutely right, I will not part with this dress. I had been eye-balling it for months at Anthropologie, and it finally got down to a price that I could afford! I had no idea that Oscar Wilde was a man that cared about dress. You learn something new every day. I'm glad you like the look :)

      Delete
  6. You will be my forever best friend if this entire outfit was hanging in my closet tomorrow morning;) I love this entire look so chic yet still playful and comfortable looking.

    PS I much prefer dandy too, it's just more fun to say:)

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then for now on we will use the word Dandy, rather than metro-sexual. You are so sweet, but I'm very sorry, I can't part with this outfit. I've had the boots since I was a teenager, and I waited months for the dress to get down to an affordable price.

      I am glad you like the look, and yes, it is very comfy :)

      Delete
  7. stunning dress! thats so neat you got to go to FIDM! how fun!
    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey, yes, FIDM was a wonderful experience. I'm glad you like the dress!

      Delete
  8. Love the tutorial!! You look glorious in your dandified outfit. The textures are delicious, especially with the burnished leather boots. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! Would you believe I have had the boots since I was a teenager. True :)

      Delete
  9. I need to be better about breaking out the white this time of year. I always love the look! Thanks so much for linking up with Mix it Monday. Hope you have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda