2.27.2014

And the Oscar Goes to...

I cannot think of a better way to spend an evening, than to spend it at the hub of the Los Angeles fashion scene, my Alma mater - the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising.

Model wearing a Nikolaki gown. Nick Verreos in the background.


On the evening of Wednesday, February 26th, members of the media were invited to premier the latest collection of red carpet gowns by Nick Verreos. Mr. Verreos is one of the stars of Project Runway: Under the Gunn; designer for the Nikolaki Collection; and he is a spokesperson, alumnus and instructor for FIDM. Before the runway show began, we were first given the opportunity to view the Art of Motion Picture Costume Design exhibition featuring the 5 Oscar nominees for Best Costume:
  • 12 Years a Slave: Patricia Norris
  • American Hustle: Michael Wilkinson
  • The Grandmaster: William Chang
  • The Great Gatsby: Catherine Martin
  • The Invisible Woman: Michael O'Connor
In its 22nd year at FIDM, fashion, as well as movie enthusiast would be pleased to view the exhibit. The 5 nominated costume collections along with many other films can be seen on the FIDM campus from February 11 through Saturday, April 26, 2014. Please visit HERE for more information on the FIDM Museum and Galleries. Here are images from two of the Oscar nominated movies:

12 Years a Slave designed by Patricia Norris. Costumes worn by Lupita N'yong'o and Chiwetel Ejiofer

The Great Gatsby designed by Catherine Martin. Costumes worn by Carey Mulligan and Tobey Maguire

As one would imagine, with the Oscars taking place this Sunday, the topic of fashion has been all a-buzz within the fashion community. And, like most lovers of this industry, I too will sit front and center in front of my television in anticipation of what the actors will wear. After all, says Nick Verreos, "The Oscar red carpet is the biggest runway that exist!" To tantalize us further for the upcoming event, Nick sent down the runway a preview of his red carpet looks that represent his Oscar fashion predictions. Enjoy!

Lovely pastels and my favorite!

Grecian inspired looks with dramatic draping

Incredible jeweled metallics

Bold colors with statement details

Mysterious black with cape details

As the gowns moved down the runway, it took every ounce of energy I had to not reach out and touch them. Sitting front row gave me a birds eye view of the incredible detailing and fabrication of these magnificent gowns. They were simply divine.


After the runway show, I sat down with Nick to discuss our favorite subject. "I proposed this question to him, "Has your celebrity helped or hindered Nick the designer?" 
 
Nick Verreos explaining his passion for fashion and the industry

Nick's response: "I grew up during the Halston era when designers simply poked their head out from behind the curtain after their show. It is nothing like today when designers have to become synonymous with their brands. When I first did Project Runway in 2005, all I wanted to do was design. But after the show, I was asked to do this and that and I kept telling myself - that's not what designers do. But then, I started receiving phone calls from celebrities wanting to wear my gowns, and I realized this publicity is helping Nick the designer."

Glenda: "Nick, again, congratulations on your continued success with Project Runway and your beautiful designs. I look forward to chatting with you again regarding your next accomplishments."

Nick: "Thank you Darling. I am humbled and I am grateful. I enjoy giving back to the students of FIDM and future designers."


Now, as time moves toward Sunday, fashion lovers are consumed with these two questions - What will our favorite actors wear to the Oscars? Who will win for Best Costume? We wait in anticipation to hear these words spoken...
And the Oscar Goes to...


Like what you see? Then follow me...
bloglovinGoogle+ / email / Pinterest / Instagram

All Photographs by Fred D. Harrison

19 comments:

  1. Glenda!!!!!! Thx for this great post and those stunning pics of gorgeous gowns!!!! My favorite is the metallic piece gown. It's divine!!!! So you changed your outfit for the evening? This isn't the green one or is it? No it isn't you are wearing yellow tights, though. I want a good pic of your outfit honey pretty please! Sweetie thank you again for this great post, I almost can hear the words....and the Oscar goes to........Well I will sit in first row like you on Sunday, holding my breath.
    hugs sweetie
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. It was a wonderful evening. And you're correct. I changed my outfit because I was feeling bloated and the green dress fits snug. So, I changed the entire look but added color with the tights.

      Delete
  2. So exciting, Glenda! You did a great job of reporting and what a fun opportunity. I am so curious to see who wins UNDER THE GUNN right now...I know that Nick's designers have struggled, but their team last week rocked it! Also, great pictures...the yellow gown is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'll have to record it tonight. Along with Scandal. Last week his team was amazing. I loved every piece, but I especially loved the dress the young lady designed.

      When that yellow dress came down the runway I wanted to scream. There are no words to describe it. That back of it was stunning.

      And Nick has much charisma. I had a great time chatting with him.

      Delete
  3. What a great experience! Congrats Glenda!
    InMyJoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really nice post! Great job! How lucky you got to go to that event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie. It was a matter of reconnecting with persons from my past. Im glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  5. My computer went wacky last night and I could not leave a post.
    I am a huge fan of PR and of Nick!! Nick is my absolute all time favorite on the show. He is simply a genius!!

    These gowns are gorgeous and so wearable, even for the Mom with the midlife "middle" like me! LOL
    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shon. Its great to read your comment. I hope Nick sees it :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for this Glenda. It must have been so much fun to meet Nick. He always seems so sincere. I spend way too much time in front of the tube watching anything Tim Gunn related or runway or fashion related and I really should get myself out the door and see what real people are wearing but I just can't help myself. So happy to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was really genuine and had a lot of charisma. Yes, get out there, the world is our runway!

      Delete
  7. Currently picking my jaw up off the floor, so much fun!

    xx Cara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun.... interviewing a designer. I love the yellow and the pink dresses.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always have a great time going back to FIDM. Nick is also a graduate too! The yellow dress was my favorite. It was so beautiful and gasped when it came down the runway.

      Delete
  9. Glenda, what a wonderful opportunity and how well you did, and looked,
    it is an interesting thing to note about how the role of this designer has changed over time. My favorite dress is the yellow luminescent gown!
    XX, Elle

    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see one of the Hollywood elite in this yellow dress. Heck, I would love to see me in that dress :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda