1.08.2014

Updated 80's

Hello Lovelies!

Whitney from Whitney Nic James inspired me to venture out into the world of thrifting. Whitney always manages to find interesting and stylish items at unbelievably low prices. Since the closest thing I've ever come to thrifting is eBay (does that count?), I decided to take on the challenge, and last weekend, the hubby and I drove over to the Palm Desert area (Palm Springs) to spend the day discovering the world of thrift store shopping. Why the desert you ask? Well, for one reason, I go to the area quite often and I noticed that they have a huge amount of thrift and vintage stores. Second, because the community is a resort location and most of the residents are well-off, so I figured I would find some great items.

To be perfectly honest, I felt like a fish out of water in the first couple of stores we visited. Because I'm such a huge germaphobe (you would know this about me if you read HERE), I was pretty apprehensive about handling the merchandise. I kept asking myself..."Is this stuff clean?" Though I left the first two stores empty handed, I did happen upon another that gave back to a cancer charity. It was neat and tidy and was being run by a very attentive staff. It was in this store that I found a silk, off the shoulder Trina Turk blouse, and the blouse that I'm wearing in this post. When I showed my husband the two tops, he gave the Trina Turk an immediate thumbs-up. However, with today's top, he looked at it and said, "Isn't that kind of 1980ish? I don't know about that one. I'll have to see how you're going to put it together." So to the checkout we went for a grand total of $5.00 for both tops! Can't beat that.

Today's Look:  
Painterly 80's Pussybow top - thrifted, Blazer by Lafayette 148 from Nordstrom Rack, Pants by Michael Kors from TJ Maxx. I won't mention the accessories since they have made appearances on several occasions on the blog. 



To update the 80's blouse and bring it into the current decade, I styled it with a pair of wool crepe skinny black pants and blazer. Here is a styling tip: Since the top is multi-colored with various shades of blue and green and subtle hints of white and black, I chose to style it by complementing one of the less attention grabbing accents. By pairing the top with a non-color, it allowed the top to take center stage and become a statement piece. The slim fit of the pant and blazer create a modern look.








For my accessories and shoes, I chose to play with gold to complement the gold cuff buttons on the blouse.


I love my new thrifted blouse and can see wearing it with a pair of white jeans too. I love the fullness of the sleeves, the shoulder pads, the bow, and of course the vivid colors and painterly pattern. I feel like I scored with this top since it only cost me $2.50 and because it represents what I stated my wardrobe resolution would include for 2014...to add more color.

I believe the key to thrift store shopping is to be able to hunt for the good pieces (because they're not jumping out at you), be open-minded, and know your existing wardrobe. When I made the decision to purchase this blouse, I could visualize how I was going to style it.

Tell me Lovelies, what do you think of this look, the blouse, and of thrift shopping? I can't wait to read your responses{wink}
 
Like what you see? Then follow me...
bloglovinGoogle+ / email / Instagram

Link Up:
Get Your Pretty On
Fashion Item Friday

Photographs by Frederick D. Harrison (my thrifting buddy)

34 comments:

  1. Love these colors on you, Glenda! Great shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I'm going to start incorporating more color into my wardrobe :)

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday happy birthday Happy birthday to you! Glenda I wish you all the best, may every dream come true. Happy happy birthday and many happy returns my friend. Have a fantastic day with lots of fun and love (((((()))))
    hugs
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenya!!! You are so sweet!

      Delete
    2. Dang forgot to tell you, love the blouse and you look so good in that outfit!!! Oh and I am not tall at all. I am 5"2, I suppose you are taller than I am.
      huggies

      Delete
    3. That is crazy. You look really tall. Sue from Colourful Canvas thought I was about 5'6. Nope, Im about five feet tall.

      Delete
  3. I have always admired Whitney and the other Ladies' thrift finds and never tried it. I used to find great buys at my favorite stores and now I am finding less and less. Maybe it is time to try Thrifting. . you got some great buys and that shirt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neti. I like the blouse too. But it was hard to find the good stuff. Next time I go I am going into Hollywood area.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous as always. You are rocking that top!

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your outfit is lovely. thanks for sharing your first thrifting experience. I thrift shop, occasionally, but only at high-end thrift shops. They tend to have the type of designer clothing I am partial to only because I like mixing them with budget -friendly pieces. There are times when I go that I can find quite a few items while at other times I don't end up buying anything. This is true of other types of clothing stores. There really is no difference. The key is to be open-minded like you indicated and to have a lot of patience. It can take time to find the diamonds in the rough.

    Sharon
    http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so correct by stating it takes time to find the diamonds in the rough. Overall, I had a great time. The next time I go, I'm going to go to Pasadena or Westwood, Silverlake areas in Southern California.

      Delete
  6. YAY! I'm sitting over here grinning from ear to ear! You look lovely - great blouse and great color/pattern! I love how you styled it too. A pussybows blouse is was a perfect vintage trend to try. It suits your frame and style. As I said before, I can't wait to see what you get next. Keep it up...XO!

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like my choice Whitney. That means a lot. Stay tuned for an upcoming post with the Trina Turk blouse :)

      Delete
  7. I don't have the patience for thrift stores, I get frustrated when I have to hunt for something (horrible of me I know). What I'm trying to see is eBay totally counts, from the comfort of home with a blanket and cup of coffee actually makes the hunt bearable and enjoyable!

    PS I am sneaking into your closet and running off with this blouse;)

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Cara. The hunt was exhausting. There is something comforting about eBay :)

      Delete
  8. Great item. Be sure and link this post to the Hop tomorrow, yes! It will be a perfect post for the 'item'. and ...thanks for being inspired by a fellow thrift stylist {such as myself}. Now, admit it, I do inspire you at times, right? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I do Renae. That is why I follow your blog :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh Glenda! Yay, thank you! I am glad I can inspire. Thank you for joining "Fashion item Friday"! I soooooooo appreciate your devotion. I do! Have a fabulous weekend.

      Delete
  9. Your top has got wonderful colours mixed together and is sooo cute! And I agree:it could be great also with a pair of white jeans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful top. I'm glad I didn't listen to my husband on this one :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful blouse Glenda. The color looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanae! Thank you so much. I was initially drawn to the color :)

      Delete
  11. Oh gosh, Glenda, I saw that title and thought: oh no, this cannot be good. The 80s weren't exactly our most fashionable years, haha. But I love your interpretation, that blouse looks really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Melissa...I'd rather forget the 80's era in fashion. I'm glad you like the blouse :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, yeah, let's just pretend it never happened... <_<

      Delete
  12. Glenda, I think you know my stance of thrifting, and yes I consider ebay shopping to be part of that.
    Some of the thrift stores is frequent most steam all of their clothing first, and that is great for cleanliness. They also wont accept anything visually unclean. I think that the germ factor is equivalent to handling money, wash your hands afterward, but dont avoid it. I always wash anything from a second hand store and sometimes a real store, if it appears to to have been handled
    I love the painterly bow blouse, and it so on trend, love it layered under the jacket. Just gorgeous. Can't wait to see the Trina Turk!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/2014/01/stay-warm-in-a-sapphire-blue-gress/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle! I'm glad you like the blouse. I always carry bottles of hand sanitizer. This helped with my phobia. And yes, I did wash everything first. :)

      Delete
  13. Fabulous. Welcome to the awesome world of thrifting. I get most of my pussybow blouses trifted if I don't make them myself. You look fabulous. Found your blog from Whit. xoxo.
    Natasha B of www.fashionablyfab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha! That was sweet of Whitney to give me a shout out. She has definitely inspired me to thrift.

      Delete
  14. I think you did a wonderful job as you look gorgeous in it. Hurray for reviving good clothes.
    Thrifting is a good thing. Sustainable and you find some real treasures from time to time.
    Sorry I have been neglecting you lately (as I have with nearly everybody). It is so busy in my life at the moment. I can hardly keep up. It is past my bed time now and I still have a great deal to do... Pffff.
    Greetje
    PS I will catch up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greetje! I just have to find the really good thrift shops in Southern California. It was a fun adventure though. No worries about the blog. We all get busy from time to time.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda