1.01.2014

It's Black - It's White

Happy New Year!

Did you all have a wonderful time bringing in 2014? For New Year's Eve, my husband and I spent the day shopping for televisions, then we took an impromptu visit to Anthropologie. I fell in love with the must lovely and feminine top. No, I'm not wearing it in this post. I'm going to try REALLY hard to save it for later months. Like I mentioned in my post called A Vibrant New Year, I plan on adding more color to my wardrobe this year. The new top is loaded with a beautiful array of colors! You're going to love it!

On to today's look. I had purchased the skirt on eBay some time ago, but for some reason, every time I styled it, went out to take photos...I just wasn't pleased with the look. Today that wasn't the case. I quite like the way I pulled this look together. Classic with an edgy twist. Also, take notice of the new booties that I purchased New In Box on eBay. I'm so thankful that I found a bootie style that I like and in a good quality. I'm sure you'll see them many more times before the summer hits.

Today's Look: Skirt - Marc Jacobs from eBay, Top - Loft, Coat - Vera Wang for Kohl's, Booties - Nine West (black suede), Rings purchased in Mexico, Polish is Scarlett O'Hara by essie, Sunnies - Loft Outlet, Belt - Nine West.

 



Here's bit of information about my shopping habits - I loathe buying complete ensembles. You know, pieces that were meant to be worn together. Though I love a complete pulled together look, I much prefer to piece buy. I love to mix and match style statements, whether it be high/low, vintage/new, classic/whimsical, etc. Perhaps it's a quirk of mine, but I find it completely gratifying to purchase from different types of stores and be able to pull a complete ensemble together. Such is the case with today's outfit. 



One thing I've noticed about myself is that my body shape is changing. I attribute this to the aging process. Though I have worn the same size for years, I have noticed that my waistline is becoming less noticeable. Where I once had an hourglass figure, it is now becoming more boy shaped. I'm having to belt just about everything I wear to give some sort of waist definition.






My Friends, I mention my hubby so much on the blog, I thought it nice to give him a face. Ladies and gentlemen, here is the man behind the camera...my husband and best friend, Frederick...


"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined."

The quote in the picture above truly resonates with my spirit. I have loved the fashion industry for most of my life. I stepped away for some time to pursue other endeavors, however my love for fashion and style never leaves me. I grasp hold to this quote by Thoreau with full confidence.  Dreams do not ever die...and neither does ones style.  Have a fabulous 2014{wink}

Like what you see? Then follow me...
bloglovinGoogle+ / email / Instagram

Link Up:
Trend Spin

Photographs by Frederick D. Harrison

27 comments:

  1. I love the white socks showing above the booties...nice touch. This outfit is a great way to begin a new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look adorable! I love this quote by Thoreau, I should make it me mantra for 2014! You have a handsome best friend, Glenda, wishing you a happy new year filled love, laughter and many blessings!
    xo,
    Monica
    http://glamvolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica and happy new year to you and yours!. Yes, I plan on making the quote my mantra :)

      Delete
  3. That outfit! Love it. It's funny how we can wear the same size and have things hang differently as we age. I don't think I was prepared for that part of turning 40.

    I'm a piece shopper too. I have two complete suits and I hate wearing them together. It feels very, I don't know, forced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about suits. I dont own one and probably never will. And yes, I wasnt prepared for the body change either. :(

      Delete
  4. Great styling! The striped shirt works beautifully and I really love the little bit of sock peeking out from the top of the booties...somehow it ties the whole thing together. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ypu so much, Im glad you like the stuling with the socks!

      Delete
  5. Black and white color combination is classic and very flattering! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Antoinette and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. You look great Glenda!. Black & white is my favorite color combination and I never tire of it. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too Steph and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. I love a good black 'n white combo :-) And I am so loving the cute white socks! :-) Happy New Year, Glenda!

    P.S.: Your hubby is looking quite the badass in that pic :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Melissa! I'll have to let him know that he looks like a badass :)
      Happy New Year to you too. Sounds like you had a great time!

      Delete
  8. Great B&W look, love it , glasses are fab!
    Have a very stylish New Year! <3
    http://pandamone.blogspot.com/2013/12/up-in-woods.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your black and white outfit, which really suits you! The skirt is beautiful and classic and I am in love with your boots!
    P.s. I totally agree with the quotation!!
    Have a wonderful and Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Dan! Yes, that quote is awesome :)

      Delete
  10. omyy nice outfit! The combo is very nice! I like the shoes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want this entire outfit, so chic and classy!

    I love the picture of your hubby, it's so great to see the man behind the camera.

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an easy outfit to duplicate. I would love to see your interpretation!

      Delete
  12. Perfect Glenda, absolutely perfect!!! You have such an eye for details. Classy, chic, effortless elegant, I run out of words honey. You rock it! So that handsome guy is your hubby, lucky you!
    I am so looking forward to your next outfit ideas.
    Kisses and all the best for 2014 to both of you
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glenda,
    I love this outfit that you pulled together! The cut of the skirt is gorgeous, and the jacket and striped
    tee create a distinctive designer look ( that you created!) I share your shopping- styliing philsophy to a Tee: the fun of get dressed is the creative component, and the bit of whimsy that comes with.
    So glad to see your handsome husband make his debut!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/2014/01/ringing-new-year-lbd/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle! And you hit the nail right on the head when you described the creative component of shopping. It is so fun to piece-buy.

      Delete
  14. Love stripes!

    http://www.sincerelyval.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness, how I have neglected you... There are so many posts I have not seen. But I am going through all of them now. I won't comment everywhere, but know I have seen it.
    To start with: this combination is very chic. I especially like the second picture and I very much like the booties. Even the socks are lovely to me (that is a first haha).
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda