1.03.2014

An Equestrian Legacy

Hello Lovelies!

In my opinion, a great style story is one that consists of one or two key pieces that have an amazing legacy. Such is the case for the boots that I built today's look around. Here's the story, when I was 17 years old, a group of my girlfriends and I went shopping in West Hollywood (Westwood). We wandered into Neiman Marcus ...probably to daydream. I stopped by the shoe department and there I met and fell in love with my very first pair of riding boots. I marveled at the buttery chocolate brown leather. I closed my eyes and imagined all the ways in which I would wear them. I turned the boot over and my eyes bugged out! The price was nearly $200. Sure, now that's not much for a pair of boots. However, this was over 30 years ago, and I was only 17 with a $20 bi-weekly allowance.

I went home that afternoon with the lovely riders on my mind. I sat in my bedroom listening to music and then it hit me...I'll write my parents an essay explaining to them how much I love the boots and that I'll cherish them for the rest of my life. And so I did, I wrote a two-page essay about my great love for the boots. I went into the kitchen and attached the essay to the cork board and waited for my parents, in particular my mother, to critique my work. When I rose the next morning to prepare for school, my mom had a big grin on her face. I went into the kitchen, walked over to the cork board and noticed that my essay had an A+ written across the top and an envelope was attached. I opened it and discovered the $200 and a tiny note that said, "You'll have to use your own money for the tax." Can you believe it!

At the age of 47, I still have my chocolate brown riders. Today, they are making their very first appearance on the blog. Ladies and gentleman...my Equestrian Legacy...


Today's Look: Boots by Marc Alpert Collection (over 30 yrs old), Top purchased from Anthropologie a few years ago, Skirt - Joe Fresh, Belt - Calvin Klein, Signature Charm - Swell Caroline, Ring - H&M, Sunnies - Calvin Klein



Do you recognize the top? It made its first appearance in Spanish Flava. I wore it with the sleeves pushed up past the elbow to give it a different flava.


Though the "G" charm photographed with a green tinge from the skirt, it is gold.

My first pair of riders purchased 30 years ago!



So there you have it Lovelies...the story of my beloved riders by Marc Alpert of Italy. Do you have cherished items in your wardrobe that have a great legacy? Do tell{wink}

Like what you see? Then follow me...
bloglovinGoogle+ / email / Instagram

Link Up:
Monday Mingle
Style Sessions

Photographs by Frederick D. Harrison

23 comments:

  1. What a great story!! Most of my accessories have stories attached to them. I have some that are 30+ years old. Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! It seems like most great memories are attached to accessories. I wonder why?

      Delete
  2. Lovely story Glenda and equally great boots. I would have fallen for them too. They are awesome. I had some older items in my wardrobe, well for example, there was a skirt my father bought for me on one of his business trips when I was seventeen, anyway, for some reason or other I always put it back into my closet when I went through it. Anyway to make a long story short, the last couple of days I am throwing everything away I haven't worn for ages, how long and cherished it may be. I don't do NY resolutions but I decided it's time to let go of those things. I don't wear them, I don't want to wear them. Hope that makes any sense. Back to your outfit. You look beautiful Glenda. Love the skirt and I did not recognize the blouse.
    hugs
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only outfit I have that I love and cherish is the two-piece that I wore in Checked Out. I'll never part with that one. Oh, and lots of jewelry that was owned by my mother and grandmother. I'm glad you like the outfit Lenya!

      Delete
    2. Of course I would not part with the jewelry, I meant my clothes. I have had some of them just for too long, they were faded, worn out, old, shabby whatever, but of course I kept them just because, you know, oh I can't throw them away, daddy bought me the skirt when I was blah blah blah and it still fits, yeah great, but it's totally worn out and shabby. I would not dream of wearing it, so now it's time to let go for good. I hang on to some things far too long Glenda. Your two pieces is still chic and not shabby or worn out at all.

      Delete
  3. Love this looks, Glenda! What a great skirt and I agree that holding on to those boots so long is worth it. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now THAT is a story of love. Your father was a wise man, and clearly loved you and encouraged your efforts to earn something special. It contrasts deeply with my experience of purchasing a pair of Frye boots in 1970 for the "exorbitant" price of $40, using my own money from babysitting, and being told "Who do you think you are?!" as a response to my purchase. I've had trouble over the years allowing myself to feel worthy of a "special" purchase. I'm glad you still have those boots. I don't have mine, and didn't wear them much after I got them because of the emotion attached to them, namely guilt and shame. It's amazing how something like a pair of boots can represent something negative or positive. I've tried to change the pattern as I've raised my children, while still keeping it in the realm of reality. Love your story and you look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I somehow believe that my mother was actually behind the money. My father wasn't really the type of man that would cave in to such a huge amount. Especially for clothing. My mother, on the other hand, enjoyed buying clothing for me. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. As a parent, I try hard to watch what I say, even though there are times when I wish I could take something back. How very careful we must be to influence our young in a positive manner. In hindsight, because my mother enjoyed buying for me, I now find it difficult to walk away from items that are way out of budget for my household.

      Delete
  5. Amazing story Glenda! Also written between the lines is the fact that you have had incredibly good taste since you were a teenager. I don't think I have anything that is from my teenage years. When I was in my early twenties, I bought a very, no VERY, expensive pair of Italian pumps and a matching handbag. I think it was about a months pay, but I did have the money in my account to pay for them. I had the shoes resoled a couple of times before they finally gave up. So wear for wear, it worked out, but like Jean, I think I had some guilt over the expense.

    I love this entire outfit Glenda! You look great.....GAK, I just looked at those boots again, and I can not believe the condition they are in. Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thank you so much. I have always had a great love for wonderful classic pieces. While most teenagers shopped by the trend, I always went for beautifully crafted items that would last a lifetime. I have had the boots resoled a couple of times and every winter, I have the leather conditioned. Your pumps sound beautiful. There's nothing like a fabulous, Italian leather classic pump.

      Delete
  6. I am loving the plaid skirt :-) And I like your boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. I think my boots look pretty darn good for being 30 years old!

      Delete
  7. Girl, I just adore this tartan skirt. You look divine.
    Miss Margaret Cruzemark
    http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The boots look amazing, it is always great finding a piece that truly stands the test of time in both quality and style.

    As a mom I must say that I absolutely love how you went about getting the boots. I want to cringe every time I walk into a department store and hear a child screaming and kicking on the floor after which the parents give in and get them whatever they want!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Cara on parenting. I think that this early experience is what made me love writing.

      Delete
  9. i love this look! those boots have to be made of great quality!

    ~Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Chioma! Yes, they were of excellent quality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How on earth do you keep boots so beautiful for 30 years? They are splendid. And so is this outfit. With a special mention for the bracelet.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda