1.31.2014

A Peek Inside My Vanity

Hi Friends!

I know I haven't posted many new outfits this week, but as I told you earlier this week, my family schedule is quite full. Not only have I not thought much about my wardrobe, but my photographer/husband has been busy making sure our oldest son gets to his music rehearsals and lessons. Phew...what a week. In spite of all the busy-ness, I am excited! This Saturday evening, my son will be a part of the Honor Band/Orchestra for our area that consist of 100's of young musicians who are at the very top of their game. This is the 3rd year my son has had the honor of playing with the orchestra. To watch our son play his saxophone and/or clarinet with this prestigious group is one of my families big hi-lights. I literally get goose-bumps when I hear the music. And to know that these young men and women are only in grade school...Wow!


Nonetheless, so that I'm not neglecting the blog, I thought I'd give you a peek inside of my vanity. Doesn't that sound exciting!? Well, maybe not, but I want to show you how my beauty routine is just about as simple and classic as you can get...but with a little quirk - just like my wardrobe. 

Photo from a post called Frothy

 Cleansing Routine
I have the misfortune of having the most sensitive skin known to mankind. I have my dermatologist on speed dial and I make sure that I visit her annually. Because my skin is so sensitive, I use the most gentlest products available and avoid anything that is harsh. I wash my face twice per day with Aveeno, Witch Hazel and follow with moisturizer. Bi-weekly I'll mix a teaspoon of sugar with olive oil and use it as a scrub. I'll then follow with a mask and moisturizer. Every night I dab Vaseline on my lips and around my eyes.
1-Aveeno Moisturizing Bar; 2-Witch Hazel Natural Astringent, 3-Boots Expert Sensitive Moisturizing lotion (Target), 4-Table Sugar mixed with olive oil for a scrub, 5-Clinique Deep Cleansing Emergency Mask, 6-Vaseline for around my eyes.

Hair Maintenance
Twelve years ago, after the birth of my second son, I decided to cut my shoulder length hair off and wear a pixie cut. My families life is very busy during the warm months. We spend just about every day in some type of water, either a swimming pool or the ocean. Because we love the water so much, it just became easier to stop straightening my hair and to go natural. To keep my natural curls smooth, shiny and healthy, I wash daily with Abba Gentle Shampoo, followed with a leave-in conditioner and curl vitalizer by O'pro. Sometimes I'll skip the leave-in and use a macadamia oil. For a deep conditioning, I'll leave in a deep repair mask by Macadamia for the entire day.
1-Abba Gentle Shampoo, 2-Deep Repair Mask by Macadamia, 3-Leave-in Conditioner by O'pro, 4-Healing Oil Treatment by Macadamia

Makeup
I'll have to be honest, I'm not really into makeup. Not that I don't appreciate it, but I never learned how to wear it, and I'm intimidated by it. Lately, though, I've been inspired by Melissa over at Kiss & Makeup Beauty Blog. I really like her approach to makeup, and her blog is so well done with excellent product reviews. Because of my lack of experience, I keep makeup to a very minimum. Normally after cleansing, I'll apply a good primer, then foundation with a sponge, lipstick (always red), I curl my lashes then I apply mascara, and then finally a little blush. If it's a really important occasion, I'll attempt to wear eye shadow.
1-Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, 2-Clinique Even Better Foundation, 3-Makeup wedge, 4-Clinique blush, 5-Clinique Chubby Stick in Mightiest Maraschino, 6-Tarina Tarantino mascara, 7-Maybelline Great Lash mascara, 8-Eyelash curler

 Fragrance
Because of my ultra sensitive skin, I usually avoid synthetic fragrances and try to stick with organic scents that are scented with essential oils. But there are a few fragrances that make me weak in the knees. When I wear them, I'll spritz a cotton ball and then tuck it into my bra so that it isn't being sprayed directly onto my skin.
1-Chanel No.5 (my favorite), 2-Barr-Co's original scent (my second favorite), 3-Rain by Terra Nova, 4-Nanette Lepore, 5-Balsam Fig, 6-Spiced Orange, 7-Amber Absolute (These three solids were purchased from Anthropologie last year)

I can't leave this post without mentioning that just about every Friday night, I treat myself to a manicure and pedicure done by ME! I find this time very relaxing. I love buying fingernail polish and have quite a collection. I hope I didn't bore you with this post. I thought about doing a video but I didn't have time. This way was much quicker. I'll be back on track next week with more outfits. In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend{wink}

 
Like what you see? Then follow me...
bloglovinGoogle+ / email / Instagram

Photographs by Glenda and Fred


15 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing inside your vanity. I need to get back into my Friday night pedi's. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered an accordion skirt. Thanks for the inspiration on how to wear it. Very cute look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this look with the pleated skirt and denim jacket! I have a similar skirt so when summer comes around I might try it with a denim jacket too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veshoevius, I'm glad you like the look!

      Delete
  4. Aw Glenda, thank you so much for your kind words. It's so great to hear that I've inspired you! :-) Thanks for letting us take a peek inside your vanity, it's always fun to find out what others use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the peak inside your vanity. This reminds that I really need to throw out all of the old product that I have and start fresh some of the items are years old and I don't even use them. Have fun tonight at the recital. I'm proud of your son too and I don't even know him but I'm still proud that is a great accomplishment for such a young man. Stopping by from #WWDParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, thank you so much Kirsten for the kind words about my son!

      Delete
  6. lovely post! Happy weekend. :)




    xoxo;
    Glitter DailyBeauty Blog

    FOLLOW GLITTER DAILY ON: Facebook and Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vanity is shamelessly overflowing with things I don't even use. Yours looks simple and functional. PS. I love that pink skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Witch Hazel and Vaseline are must haves for me too! Thanks for sharing...XO!

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at the #WWDParty. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda