12.02.2013

Checked Out!

Hello Lovelies!

For sentimental reasons, I have held on to a two-piece large gingham patterned outfit for over 18 years. It was made with love by my mother, and was the last outfit she made for me. I wore it once to see a friend debut his acting career in a play in downtown Los Angeles, and then quietly tucked it away. Every so often, I would open my trunk, pull it out with the thoughts of wearing it again, but then deciding not too.

On Monday, the urge struck again. I opened the trunk, pulled out the two-piece, and then this time, I tried it on. I was pleasantly surprised that it still fit after almost two decades! I decided that this is a great time to honor the outfit and my mother's amazing talent as a seamstress. When the suit was constructed in the 90's, it had the large shoulder pads. Remember that trend? I have since removed them so that it wouldn't look outdated. Other than that, absolutely no changes have been made. With the busyness of the pattern, I chose to let the pattern make the statement and kept accessories to a minimum.

Today's look: Two-piece black & white gingham print suit with fringe (custom made), my favorite Anne Klein short-sleeved turtleneck, Nordstrom tights, Boots by Migliorini of Italy, Tassle necklace from Loft, Rings by H&M and Yours N Mine Design at Etsy









I hope you liked the outfit as much as I do. It is wonderful to have clothing tailor made just for you.

To those who visit my blog frequently, you may have noticed the large flower logo to the right. This is the gateway to A Daughter's Heart, the Not-for-Profit organization that I founded in honor of my mother. Please, stop by and visit us and discover the support that we do for persons fighting cancer.

Have a lovely week {wink}

link up:
Style Sessions
Love it Link it
I Feel Pretty
Whitney Nic James

Photographs by Frederick D. Harrison

35 comments:

  1. I have a similar jacket, I love that you have the same skirt.
    Simona On/off duty style

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! I love the meaning behind the outfit, as well as the modern flare you added with the boots & accessories. LOVE!

    ~Whitney
    whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Whitney. I love it more than any other clothing that I own :)

      Delete
  3. A great outfit to pass on to the younger generation designed by Mom. You wear it well dear, now put it back in the trunk for your future granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda!! This outfit makes me think of Chanel! Timeless, elegant, and dang...you wear this ensemble beautifully! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Sue...it does look like Chanel! Thank you so much for your kind words. You are very sweet :)

      Delete
  5. What a great suit! It is totally hitting on that menswear trend! I am hosting a like up, I'd love for you to join: http://bit.ly/IHP2eG

    xo,
    Tori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tori! Thank you for the invite and the kind words :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like your Mom was an amazing seamstress! I bet the coat would look cute with a pair skinny jeans and those boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was an amazing seamstress My! You're right, I bet it would look good with skinnies and boots.

      Delete
  7. Glenda first I have to say I loooooove the necklace, and NO I don't have a similar one, lol. And now to your outfit. You should wear it more often, it's absolutely gorgeous. You look gorgeous wearing it, love all the details on it!
    Yes I meant the silver bracelet. I thought it would be on an older outfit but it wasn't so I will wear it in one of the next ones, though. I got mine ages ago, must have been around Millennium, if I remember rightly, at one of those flea markets. It is identical to yours, you'll see.
    hugs
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Lenya. I feel the same about the necklace. It's at the Loft and it's still available. When I first laid eyes on it, I had to make it mine :) Go for it Lenya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool dress i like the necklace pattern its nice .....

    http://www.jollychic.com/?a_aid=SIRIUSIT

    ReplyDelete
  10. A two piece usually screams granny style to me, but not in this case. You make this little twin set look very on trend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about two-piece or any type of suit Melissa. But this one is special :)

      Delete
  11. Glenda,
    Now I see where you get your style talent! I cant believe your mom made this, what a lovely tribute to hear that you are wearing it and looking elegant and chic! I will check out your organization, I lost a brother to cancer and my dad,too, is in his final days from it.
    You are living tribute to your mother, keeping her with you in you in this creative pursuit and all that you are,
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/2013/12/luxurious-fall-layers-beat-chill/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, your words made my day. Thank you. And I'm so sorry to hear about your brother and father.

      Delete
  12. Wow - this is definitely a classic keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So classic and chic... your mom was very talented!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Glenda this is such a touching story. How great that you can wear this outfit that honors your mom's talent and memory. I can see what an amazing seamstress she was by looking at this outfit. These are beautiful pictures too. I'm guessing she would have loved your blog. I know my mom would have loved mine.

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I believe she would have loved my blog. But I often wonder what path my life would have taken if she had lived.

      Delete
  15. Wonderful, Glenda! Your mom was clearly talented, and style-prescient for her daughter's sake! And you must have gotten you great eye for classics from her as well ... how perfect is it on you today? Very.
    Not to mention the fact that you still slip right into it. That's enviable, too! Smart ladies, two generations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment was a great way to begin the day. Thank you so much Jan. You are definitely a lady of words :)

      Delete
  16. Love that tassel necklace and the fringe! So put together and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Greetings from Ireland!

    That is a stunning outfit - you look very striking in it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda