11.09.2013

What I Wore: Hippie

Peace!

This past Friday afternoon, my husband and I spent the day at the Huntington Library, Museum and Botanical Gardens. This was my husband's first time to be able to relax and enjoy the grounds. Normally, he is running sound for a huge fundraising gala or art opening for the Huntington. This time, he was uninhibited. It was nice for the two of us to take it all in together. I'm a huge lover of the arts and normally I would have wanted to stroll around the galleries, but since it was such a beautiful day (again) in Southern Cal, we decided to walk the huge spance of the Huntington's botanical gardens. First we walked through the Cloud Rain Forest, then the Chinese Gardens, followed by the Japanese Gardens, next the desert, and then finally Australia. I don't know what was lovelier, the beautiful array of flowers and succulents, or the intimate time of taking it all in with my husband/photographer. If you follow So What to Twenty on Instagram (click the camera icon to the right), you'll see many of the pictures I took.

During our visit, I picked a few stems of flowers for the purpose of pressing them into a linen paper book that I use for inspiration. I was indeed inspired by the lovely little blooms. They caused me to get in touch with my inner Hippie, the flower child...peace, love & happiness.


For today's look, nothing I have on is new, just pieces that I've worn that can be easily styled to take on various looks. However, you'll see an amazing turquoise belt that my husband purchased for me for our 1st year wedding anniversary. I first saw this belt during a Nordstrom fashion show and I almost fell out of my seat...or maybe I did (smile). I just had to have it! You're probably thinking..."A belt. Your husband got you a belt for your anniversary?" For a newly married, young couple in our 20's, this belt was quite a stretch in our budget. Trust me when I say - It was costly! Today's post is a perfect example of how playing with accessories can create and entirely different look.

Today's Look: Top: Zara;Boyfriend Jeans: Loft; Sandals: Zara; Belt: Nordstrom; Diamond "Peace" Necklace: Purchased at the Claremont Collection & Antiques; Polish: Seduce by Revlon














I truly consider dress an art form, and I get inspired by everything under the sun. For myself, I enjoy uniqueness and a person who walks to the beat of their own drum. Often times, I'm not necessarily inspired by the person who has the latest and greatest from the hot trendy stores. On the contrary, it is the hippie, the flower child, the beatnik, the artist, the person that dares...that certain je nais se quoi. You can't quite pin-point what it is that they have - you just know they have it.

Each day I consider my person a blank canvas in which I am free to explore and dress it according to mood and the inspiration of life{wink}

Link Ups:
I Feel Pretty
Tres Chic Style Bits
The Style Record
Monday Bloom

Photographs by Frederick D. Harrison (my interpreter)






24 comments:

  1. I love that belt and your look! So chic and comfy. I think that's what style is all about for those of us who are mature enough to get it and comfortable enough in our skins to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more Kellyann! Thank you for commenting, I hope you'll be back!

      Delete
  2. Oh you so look the part!! And being a child of the late sixties, early seventies I can so imagine that the belt was a stretch for your budget. (By the way I don't think it is at all strange when your husband buys you a belt for your aniversary. Actually very nice. So much better than a kitchen aid hahaha).
    Beautiful belt, lovely outfit. Peace man...
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He knew who he was marrying...a woman who loves a great piece of clothing (lol). I would be so offended if he brought me a toaster oven. Did they have Hippies in Amsterdam? I thought that was an American lifestyle...

      Delete
    2. Girl !!! I was a hippie! Did we have hippies in Amsterdam?? hahaha. Yes we did, riots and peace demonstrations. Sit down protests etc.

      Delete
    3. Wow man that is crazy cool. I had no idea that Hippies were everywhere.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a fun day. This belt is a beauty and I like it with white and your jeans. I received
    a belt as a Christmas gift and loved it. I great belt like yours is a thoughtful gift!

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I think some may think receiving a belt is odd. Only certain people would appreciate it because it's viewed differently than simply holding up a pair of trousers.

      Delete
  4. Well said! Keep on expressing! You are definitely rocking that bandana in a way that I can only wish I possess..

    GREETINGS FROM DUBAI!
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES (a fashion and life-style blog)
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That polish color is beautiful (and love that belt!!!!) I agree completely, I express myself through my outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's crazy how you can pull off so many different styles, Glenda! Whenever I try something different I just look awkward...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me Melissa, its all in the accessories.

      Delete
  7. That belt is lovely! And I think it's a sweet anniversary present! I don't think my husband got me anything for our first wedding anniversary :P Don't worry, he made up for it, buying me a coat for our 2nd!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! That belt is stunning Glenda. I absolutely understand the urge to just have to have it. So nice of your DH to surprise your with it. I think it's a gorgeous present for an anniversary because it's something special, very personal and well each time you wear the belt it reminds you how thoughtful your DH is and how much he cares for you.
    I like this outfit so much. Dunno how to say but it shows a very relaxed and happy lady. Does it make sense?
    hugs
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lenya, yes it does make since. That is how I was feeling. Very chill and looking orward to the weekend. I usually lean more toward a bohemian vibe on the weekends since my family is involved in the art scene.

      Delete
  9. Glenda,
    I love this relaxed "hippie" look, you do it well! That belt is gorgeous and I am looking forward to seeing the pics. Am envious of that glorious weather, but happy that you are enjoying it!~
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/2013/11/visual-interest-stripes-color-block/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle, I wouldn't change the California weather for anything...I love it!

      Delete
  10. Haute Hippie, that's our Glenda. So far out, too groovy, Mama! You look wonderful, and very contemporary, not costumey at all! Seriously, you rock. I know, I was there when hippies were hippies!
    Oh, my dear, The Huntington! Been there so many times ... always wanted to get married in the Shakespeare Garden! Are all the Gainsboroughs and Reynolds still there, all together? *Sara Siddons as the Tragic Muse* is one of my all time favorites. And Pinky, and Blue Boy. Thank you for the reminder. So glad you got to spend a lovely day there with your handsome huz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pinkie and Blue Boy are still in the mansion and the Gainsboroughs and Reynolds are still there too :) Wow, you really know your Huntington! It's such a lovely place to visit. I could go every week and never tire of it. I was born in the late 60's so I don't remember anything about it. I just remember hearing about it from my parents, or seeing photos of my mother with her bohemian attire. So cool. I really like the attire of the 50's and 60's and a bit of the 70's.

      Delete
  11. Hello Glenda, I so agree with you, we express ourselves on the way we dress.
    That belt is soooooooo gorgeous!!!! And you look so cool.

    Thank you so much for participating in the Link Up, much appreciated!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda