10.15.2013

Glenda's Style: No Expiration Date!

Hello Lovelies!

I hope you're all having a swell week. Mine has been going nicely. I'm now in the midst of finalizing the end results from the big smooth jazz benefit concert. In the near future I'll share some of the pictures with you. Today, my husband and I decided to spend the morning together. We love to steal a little time together while our sons are in school. Love :)

Today's post is different from the norm. Rather than stating what I'm wearing, I have decided to give you a glance into my fashion psyche so that you'll understand more about my approach to style. You have seen all the pieces I'm wearing before, so there's nothing new. Just good pieces that I play with time and time again. Enjoy!

Do you see my love, my husband, my photographer in the reflection?


Now, on to the fashion talk. Recently, someone asked me to describe my style. "That's easy enough," I said. "I am a minimalistic classic, but with a twist." Did you get that? Ha! If you've been following my blog long enough, you'll notice that I don't wear too many details. I like to keep my look clean and simple. I usually wear solids and then add interest with accessories. When I buy, I like to purchase items that do not have an expiration date. Meaning, I usually stick with the classics and great vintage pieces.


By sticking with the classics, it gives my wardrobe greater room for expansion. It's so much easier to mix and match. As a general rule, I try not to make a purchase unless the item will work well with at least three (3) pieces from my existing wardrobe. However, there are times when I fall completely in love with something that then becomes an item that I'll then build a wardrobe around.


My wardrobe is quite extensive, mainly because I am a classic dresser, and I've had most of my pieces for years. Since entering the fashion & style blogging world, I have fallen in deeper love with my classic/minimalistic style. I don't feel like I have to run out to the stores to get my hands on the latest and greatest trends. But don't get me wrong, I enjoy the thrill of a good shopping trip like the next fashion lover. I just shop methodically and usually with an idea of what I want or need to enhance what I already have. 

Love bracelet from Glitter Lifestyle Boutique
Accessories are key with me. I love to add quirky, fun and interesting jewelry, scarves and handbags to my outfits. But at the same time, the look is still very clean, uncomplicated, and will work season after season after season.Unlike Rachel Zoe who believes that more is more in the accessories department, I tend to believe otherwise. I want my accessories to compliment my overall look...not over-power it.

 

There you have it Lovelies...the way I rock my style. How would you describe your style and how do you shop? Do tell {wink}


Glenda

Photographs by Frederick D. Harrison

14 comments:

  1. I love the color of those trousers. Way to brighten up an outfit! I also like how you wear a bracelet and a watch together. I should try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. I appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  2. Loving the pants on you. You are rocking them..
    Stopping by from Agi's link up
    http://willfullyelegant.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  3. Great outfit. Love the bracelet!!!!

    Thank you for linking up. See you next Thursday.


    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I could do what you do. I like to call my style classic with a modern twist as well. But as a matter of fact I am all over the place. I often joke that I am game when there is a sign at the door saying "open" and "for sale" haha.
    I am a great impulse buyer and always fall for very outspoken items, which in the end can never go together as they are all SHOUTING for attention. And I do not seem to learn.
    I think you look lovely in this outfit and agree with the others that the trousers are awesome. I also noticed your sandals (always great sandals) and your little bag. That bag reminds me of Elle's hatbox bag that I am so in love with. And now you have such a cuty as well.. Darned. I will make it a quest.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greetje, I love your comments. When I was younger, without children and a husband I would impulse buy accessories. I love, live, love accessories. Im still an accessories fanatic, but now I watch my spending. I tend to gravitate toward smaller purses rather than the large carry all bags that are so popular. I tend to travel lite, so they work for me. I fell in love with Elles bag too. Ive been looking for one in vintage shops. Gosh that was cute!
      Ok, here is a secret...I am thankful I live in sunny California because I absolutely hate having my feet covered. Hence the sandals. I wear them a lot :)

      Delete
  5. I love how you describe your style! I've just recently started being more conscientious about the pieces I buy and the potential longevity of them. I still have years and years of clothes and my closet is overflowing but the majority of them I can't wear because their time has come and gone. So I'm starting to keep that in mind when I'm shopping. Starting over with simple, classic pieces. Now if there's a trend I like, I will only purchase from a thrift store or MAJOR clearance because I know it's not going to last through the years. Your outfit is a perfect example, it's classic and simple but your bag gives it that trendy pop. And those shoes, and that bracelet; I just love the whole look! I will definitely keep this post in mind when I'm tempted to spend a lot on something trendy!

    Lindsey
    High Heels and Training Wheels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey! Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll stay.
      Thank you for the compliment. I've always been classic. In my younger years, I went through a phase where I wanted to look more bohemian. I quickly learned that is wasn't me and I ended up with a closet full of items that I gave away to friends and charity. I enjoy allowing my accessories be the center of attention :)

      Delete
  6. With your classic, minimalist outfit, your accessories really stand out! I love the pop of color with your pants and print with your shoes and bag. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren. I like to keep my style philosophy as...the more uncomplicated, the better. It just works for my lifestyle.

      Delete
  7. This is one of my favorite subjects. Thanks for allowing us into your style-psyche. Whatever we choose to wear, it's language and we are speaking whether we like it or not. It's nice to be clearly heard. Your approach to accessories makes some seriously attractive dressing, and while I've just learned about your blog recently, I'm a fan, and learn something every time I visit. Of course, you are clearly about the classics, but you never have a dowdy moment. I'm sometimes confused about what a classic is, and what qualities and elements define one.
    You've become one of my style-icons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jan, that truly touched my heart. Thank you so very much for the kind words. In my opinion, the classics are pieces that endure the test of time. They won't date you. Like in my post about Carolyn Bessette Kennedy, while the photos were taken in the 1990's, you would think they were snapped today. Her style was timeless. Often times I can see a person in an outfit and will be able to guess the era because the pieces are trend pieces. You'll know a classic because they never leave us.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda