9.22.2013

What I Wore: 60's School Girl

Hello Lovelies!

I have been literally obsessing over the Ralph Lauren S/S 2014 collection! I think I've viewed the show on YouTube at least 10 times. Did you see it? I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the way he opened the show with a parade of black and white. We know that this combination is hot every spring/summer, but Lauren added a unique twist to the dynamic duo by giving the collection a retro 60's feel. I believe I'm having a 60's moment...perhaps it is because that is the decade in which I was born. If you didn't see my post called, What I Wore: The 60's Revisited, please check it out. Though I don't actually remember the time (I was born in the late 60's), I do recall looking through family photo albums and seeing my mother and family members decked out in the coolest looks...sky-hi Afros, bohemian influences, mini skirts and dresses. So fun!

Today's look is, once again, inspired by the 60's...a decade that was so radical, you don't even have to put the number 19 in front of it! Before you leave, watch the Ralph Lauren s/s runway show!


Today's Look:
Sweater: Anne Klein from TJ Maxx
Skirt: Martin + Osa from TJ Maxx
Shoes: Adrienne Vittadina from TJ Maxx
Knee Hi Socks: The Grove Vintage
Monogram Pendant: Swell Caroline
Signet Ring: J. Crew (past season)
Earrings by Monet
Sunnies: the Loft Outlet
Nail Polish: Forever Yummy by Essie










Truthfully, I haven't worn a pair of knee-hi socks since the preppy look took over with penny loafers and argyle socks in the early 80's. What do you think Lovelies, can more mature women wear knee-hi socks, or should this style stay tucked away? I actually felt chic in them. Do tell {wink}

Glenda

PS.
Thank you Vodka Infused Lemonade for the link-up

Photographs by Frederick D. Harrison


18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wow...sassy?! I'll take it! Thank you Kurves.

      Delete
  2. Stunning black and white look! I am a huge fan of this color combination :)

    GREETINGS FROM DUBAI
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES (a fashion and life-style blog)
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs C! I'll be sure to visit your blog.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! You look so chic and cool. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Glenda, I think I absolutely love this knee high preppy look, oh yes I do! Talk about preppy and classy all in one package, I'm totally impressed. And, your photo's are just stunning. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, thank you Trina! I wasn't sure about the socks, but they seem to pass the test. I'll let my husband, the photographer, know that you like the shots. He got roped into this gig :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that look. Hmmm. How do you think it would look on a 50 something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's all in your confidence Steff!

      Delete
  7. I think the socks prep it up yet you still look classy! Age is just a number remember, don't let it dictate what you should and shouldn't wear (maybe hot pants push the boundary a bit though!). In a world full of ageism, it's fab to see people like you keeping it real!

    Please check out my fashion blog! www.livabelletheurbanprincess.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Olivia! I need to remember my own motto (lol). I felt really sharp in the outfit. I'm looking forward to wearing it again!

      Delete
  8. It's not the socks, its how you rock them ... and rock the socks you did! And I can imagine that it's the *kind* of knee socks that make it work. These clearly are not the kind that casually droop down further and further toward the ankle as the day wears on! I love them, especially with the very simple but modern pieces you wore them with. Shoes are everything, and these are perfect. Risks don't always pay off ... this one did! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan! I searched high and low for a great pair of socks. I hot yhese from a little boutique near my home. I love how they have a subtle sheen to them.

      Delete
  9. I really like the idea of knee-high socks with strappy heels! You look really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfit. You can't go wrong with black and white!!!!

    Thank you so much for linking up this week. See you next Thursday.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda