8.14.2013

Fun with Fashion: Sparkling Red

Hello Lovelies!

I woke this morning feeling playful and adventurous! To go along with that feeling, I chose to hi-light a fun dress that I won on eBay. A beautifully made, sparkling red dress by Plenty - Tracy Reese. I fell in love with the dress when I saw it on-line. However, when I received it, the fit wasn't quite what I hoped for. The original design of the dress was a complete A-line. Unfortunately, because of the structured fabric, the A-line cut made me look much bigger than I wanted to look. Instead of returning the dress, I decided to have my tailor alter it a bit by adding pleats at the waistline. Now the dress has more of a fitted bodice with a flared skirt. More flattering in my opinion.

Let me be honest, by the time we got out to take these shots, it was already 90 degrees here in Southern California. It was very hot in this dress! So, this is not what I'm really wearing today...I just wanted to show it to you. I think it looks great with my hair, which tends to turn a lighter shade of red during the summer months. I do believe that this little number will make an adorable holiday dress. I can visualize myself wearing it to a great dinner party, or to listen to jazz. I love it with my favorite Zara sandals, for a more playful look. However, for a great holiday soiree, I'll most likely pair it with a nice pair of silver strappy heels.


The Look:
Dress: Plenty by Tracy Reese (eBay)
White tank (under dress): the Loft
Sandals: Zara (sold out)
Clutch: Target (old)
Earrings: Monet
Silver Rhinestone Ring: Francesca's Collection
Necklaces: Avon
Bangle: TJ Maxx
Watch: the Loft
Sunnies: the Loft
Polish: Forever Yummy by Essie
A relaxed, playful dress for a great soiree!
Make your tailor your best friend. Pleats were added to give this dress some shape.

A more casual option would be to pair the dress with a fun pair of flat sandals.

I played with accessories to add greater interest to the silver sparkles.

Because this dress is ornate, I chose simple accessories that play with the look, rather than compete.

Remember this helpful hint when styling a complete look around a clothing item that is ornate: Let the clothing item become the statement. Select accessories that will enhance the look, but will not over power. Because of the neckline details, it wasn't necessary to wear a huge chunky necklace or huge earrings. The simple layering of tiny necklaces and simple hoop earrings worked perfect. In this case...less is more. {wink}

Have a great day Lovelies!

Glenda

Photos by Frederick D. Harrison

6 comments:

  1. You look lovely! I agree with what you said about choosing accessories that don't draw the attention away from the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post from Monday was my introduction to your great blog. And I'm knocked out by this very beautiful dress ... so good to know what is flattering on you and to have the tools to make it better. Love this rich, saturated color on just about everyone. So pretty and unusual with the silver! Making me run to my closet for these combinations.
    I'm focusing on making all the stuff I've bought for the summer work better with all their other closet-mates. New combos equals new(ish!) outfits!
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you may still be able to locate this dress on the eBay auction. I saw several. It is even more lovely in person. This is one of two red items in my wardrobe. I don't know why I tend to shy away from color. Being in the blogging world has inspired me to become more daring!

      Delete
  3. Glenda, I love this dress on you, both the color and the style. Plenty is one of my favorites. I was pleased to see you on LuckyMag, I voted for you!
    XX, Ele
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle! It looks like you had a wonderful birthday celebration :)
      I adore Plenty, I always find it at Anthropologie as well. You saw me on LuckyMag? Wow, I can never seem to find my post after I've published. I was growing suspicious (lol)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda