5.06.2014

Gladiator

One of my favorite places to visit in Southern California is the Getty Villa, the smaller, more intimate museum (from the Getty Center) that's nestled in the coastal community of Pacific Palisades, and houses many of the antiquities owned by the J. Paul Getty estate. The Villa is patterned after a first-century Roman country house that was buried by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79.

Spending the day at the Villa is both an educational experience and a great way to relax. During our visits, we enjoy taking in a tour, and having lunch at the cafe which features Mediterranean cuisine. While my husband and sons like diving into sandwiches and fries, I much prefer a platter of hummus, olive tapenade, Tabbouleh and marinated feta cheese with pita bread.

During one of our visits to the Villa, I sat in the outdoor amphitheater enjoying a cool drink when a woman approached me and said, Your sandals are so apropo. From that point on, my gladiator sandals became my Villa sandals. You will agree that they are very appropriate for the Roman inspired Getty Villa.


Today's Look: Tennis Skirt from TJ Maxx (old), Top: WillieWear from TJ Maxx (old), Lace-up Gladiator Sandals: Banana Republic (old), Braided Belt: Banana Republic, Polish is Vanessa by Zoya; Aviators: Loft





Guests enjoy sitting around the fountain/pool at the Getty Villa


In California, we enjoy bringing an ease to whatever we do, or places we attend. There is just something about the state that suggest relaxation...some sort of an unwritten constitution. Nevertheless, we embrace the casual lifestyle wholeheartedly. For myself, I enjoy incorporating easy, mixed with appropriate pieces. It makes getting dressed for an occasion so much fun! Do you try to look apropos when you're going somewhere special? Do tell{wink}

Stay connected by clicking one of these links:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  Instagram
Photograph by Freddy 

36 comments:

  1. I agree with that lady, your gladiators are so apropo for any occasion!! I Love them! Isn't great that you hung on to them being that gladiators are so hot again today?

    Monica
    GlamVolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe Monica I purchased them about 10 years ago!

      Delete
  2. Glenda, both your top and your shoes are completely in the spirit of the place! Wonderful look, very playful and polished at the same time.

    As I have just posted, yes, I do enjoy to dress up for a particular occasion, like going to Indian movies ;) - it's sort of like a game inside of a game, isn't it? It doubles the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun Natalia. It reminds me of our first ladies who always dressed for where they visited. I just love it! I was influenced by your blog post :)

      Delete
  3. How have I not gone here yet?!? Definite must do for this weekend! Love the summer ease, head to toe, of this outfit!

    xx Cara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara, when you go, you have to make reservations. Make sure to call ahead first. You and your family will love it!

      Delete
  4. I love your fresh and sunny look, just perfect for visiting the villa. I suppose that when I go anywhere I give some thought to how I dress for it in order to be appropriate for the situation, but I also dress for my own mood. I don't think I have the kind of wardrobe nor go to the kinds of places that would really encourage such thematic inspirations. If that were my approach I would need a wardrobe entirely nautical, book store and cafe inspired, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of a nautical wardrobe and bookstore/cafe look sounds very California. We love our jaunts to trendy coffee houses. Often times we go to them for open mics. This type of wardrobe could be a great deal of fun!

      Delete
  5. The sandals are gorgeous! And you combined everything perfectly. You have the style, girl! Love it.
    fashionfascinate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. That is very nice of you :D

      Delete
  6. Love the complete look Glenda. It's chic and casual and of course Glenda_ish. The gladiators are awesome. Looking forward to your overall outfit.
    hugs honey
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are cute. I especially like the color. They make your outfit pop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another well dressed photo of you my dear and you are slayed like a gladiator. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks Neti. I felt powerful in this look.

      Delete
  9. Another lovely outfit, Glenda, I love the gladiator sandals! And uhm, could I borrow that beautiful weather you seem to be having there? It's so misty and rainy here, it's like living at Loch Ness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 90 the day of this photo shoot. Summer has arrived for us!

      Delete
  10. I am so ready for the summer weather - looking like a godess in your silver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The silver sandal shine on you, and the pairing with the belt is genius, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
    You are just ADORABLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love, love, love silver :)

      Delete
  12. dON´T FORGET TO JOIN Share-in-Style pink on Saturday 10th please, please

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely look, and those sandals are GREAT! Thank goodness we're getting some warm weather here. I've been waiting. ;-)

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whitney! I've noticed much brighter smiles from the east coast bloggers ;)

      Delete
  14. Great gladiators, Glenda! (didn't mean to alliterate). lol Thanks for appreciating my styling with the scarf. I knew it needed something and BAMM that scarf to charge. LOL ♥, Renae

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, your sandals are perfect for your day at the villa! And they goes well with the rest of your outfit! I always like black and white...
    p.s.
    It sounds like a very nice day, and a ... delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always makes for a lovely day! Thank you :)

      Delete
  16. I used to have gladiators sandals too but have to say that yours are much more interesting in design. And yeah, they are just the right thing to wear to such a place as this Villa. Love your little white skirt and the silver belt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it!!! Grown folks with style! ~Michelle~ www.thatblackchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes, you looked very much the part. Nice touch that belt with the sandals.
    Great shoe collection you have. And great feet and toes...
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Your comment made my day. Thank you!!