5.01.2014

Clothes That Speak

There has never been a designer, American or abroad, that has captured my heart like the designs of the one and only Michael Kors. His designs capture more than just the fantasy life of the rich, they also epitomize the true meaning of the term, Lifestyle Dressing. A perfect juxtaposition of clothing that represents a life that is out-of-reach for many, but yet, somehow very obtainable. With each collection that the House of Kors sends down the runway, my love for this great artist only increases.

Myself in a Kors dress
Much of my allure towards Kors is the way in which he always tells a great style story with his collection. I close my eyes and imagine the scenes playing in my head...an escape to the French Riviera, or perhaps a quick jaunt to the dusty, but glamorous city of Palm Springs....I can almost taste the sand of the desert or the waters of the French sea by simply viewing his collections. I am constantly amazed how he keeps his design aesthetic while creating a fresh collection with each passing season.

During the 90s, I was full throttle into the corporate America work force. While I needed appropriate work attire for the times, many of the looks for the decade included grunge and hip-hop styles. While these trends sashayed down the runways, I watched Fashion Week in anticipation that something new, clean, classic and unforgettable would make an appearance. And then, just as the decade was coming to a close, it happened during New York Fashion Week F/W 1999 - when Michael Kors debuted his newest collection. This is when my great admiration for the designer truly began. Here is the YouTube video of that very collection. Enjoy!
Did you notice how his designs from 15 years ago are still "In" today? The beautiful long coats, the high turtlenecks, the riding boots...nothing about these garments look dated, but remain just as fresh and relevant as if they were on a runway today. That is extremely impressive. There is one look in particular that, in my opinion, is the cat's meow. Go back to 5:53 on the video and you'll see Gisele Bundchen strut her stuff in a charcoal gray two-piece. You can tell that she feels outstanding in this look just by the confidence she exudes.

Sure, some may watch this video and think, "What's the big deal?" I'll tell you. As I watched this show in particular, I knew that I was watching something incredible take place. Michael Kors was introducing us to what is now the House of Kors style personality...the perfect ensemble dressing that makes a statement without the wearer having to utter a single word. When you come across a Kors ad in the glossies, let the truth be told, his ads always tell a great style story. Clothes that speak...now that's something to talk about{wink}

Stay connected by clicking one of these links:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  Instagram

Photograph by Freddy  
Let's Collaborate

25 comments:

  1. You look MaVaLos in that dress and it fits you to a tee. Michael Kors never disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fought to retain my weight because of this dress. At one point it was fitting a bit snug, but I refused to not be able to wear it...so I fought!

      Delete
  2. I love the blue sweater at 3:15! Agree with you that Michael Kors is excellent at classic and timeless American. While it's not my personal style I can still admire it and there may be pieces I could potentially use in my own way.
    Your own dress is gorgeous and suits you to a T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that high neck sweater is beautiful. I love the hue. Timeless is a perfect description for Kors. You hit the nail right on the head!

      Delete
  3. Love this dress. It looks good on you too, beautiful woman!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elsie, like I told Neti - I fought my weight for this dress!

      Delete
  4. I do love Michael Kors myself!! He is one of my favorite designers and his pieces are always so timeless! I love this dress! So adorable and perfect for this time of year!

    xo, Kenya

    www.kenyalfashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kenya! I love how he is able to create timeless clothes that remain fresh after many years. That is an awesome accomplishment!

      Delete
  5. Glenda, thank you for education! I love 90s - it was a very fun dress-making period in my life. I can recognize those lines, I think I had some very similar pieces. The skirt which opens the show - ooooh so charming! I enjoyed the show a lot!

    And this dress is probably my favorite outfit on you so far! Beautiful pairing with the shoes too. Just amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow really Natalia! This photo doesn't do the dress justice. It is absolutely exquisite. Here is the original post link so that you can see it better - http://sowhattotwenty.blogspot.com/2013/12/silver-bells.html#.U2PMV6ImVRU
      I'm glad you enjoyed the show, and I agree, that opening skirt is a WOW. From the opening I could tell it was going to be a great season :)

      Delete
  6. I concur. He is fabulous. He is considered one of the best sportswear designers ever. His appeal for me lies in his approachable, realistic aesthetic. He designs clothing that women would realistically wear. This is a great tribute to him. I enjoyed watching the youtube video not only because it was wonderful but just seeing Naomi Cambell, Gisele Bundchen and Caroline Murphy walk the runways earlier on in their careers was awesome to see. Terrific post, as usual. You look splendid in that gorgeous dress. Have a great weekend.

    Sharon
    http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful to go back through the archives and watch the runway shows of the 90's. I too enjoy looking at the iconic models. Remember Maggie Rizer? I often wonder what would have happened to her career if her step father didn't steal her fortune. She was a great muse of Kors.
      And thank you for the lovely compliment!

      Delete
  7. I love Michael Kors design as well. This is amazing how he promotes classical looks and how they survive over time.
    fashionfascinate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is an amazing accomplishment, and to be well respected.

      Delete
  8. I love the designs, but some of his clothes are made of polyester, and that is a no-no for me. As is dry cleaning... Simple shapes, elegant and timeless, in natural fibres and no dry cleaning required, that would be the dream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be a dream for many.

      Delete
  9. Yes! Michael Kors is an amazing designer! I love this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  10. Glenda you look gorgeous in this dress, a great post , have a good weekend .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesley! And have a great weekend as well.

      Delete
  11. I love the dress! Gisele better strut yes ma'am + I learned something new because I had no idea Michael Kors had been around that long I know shame on me! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh yes Cookie, he has been designing for quite some time now.

      Delete
  12. Love this dress:) Glenda you look fabulous :)
    Hugs Beata

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! that dress is PRECIOUS. Glenda you look so, so amazing in it.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knew there was a reason for why you are my long lost fashionista friend in my head. Yes ma'am! What's funny about your post is that...I purchased my very first MK item in 1999. I was hooked every since. I knew it was something special about the Kors brand. Oh, and Yes....I still own those same MK pants from '99. I have plans on rocking those bad boys soon. You look fabulous in your white frock by the way....smooches doll. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing with me and I hope that you find So What to Twenty inspiring!