5.10.2014

Brush Strokes

Stick with So What to Twenty and you'll discover that I have a great love for the arts...performance, visual, design...you name it. As a young girl, my mother ingrained the love of arts into my sister and I by having us spend weekends exploring several of the museums in our area. As I matured, so did my love for this culture. Now, as a mother of two sons, I take the opportunities for us to enjoy as many cultural events as possible.

During Spring 2014 Fashion Week, it was interesting to see a trend that was inspired by painterly/pop art designs. Design houses like Prada, Dior, Celine and Calvin Klein embraced whimsical fabrics that were not short on bold brush strokes and daring graphics. Some of the designs seemed to walk out from our museums and onto the garments, while others were reminiscent of graffiti markings. Normally, I'm not one to jump on the trend bandwagon, however, since my great love for visual arts, I decided to give this one a try.

For today's look I'm wearing a painterly top of bold, brush strokes that create a hodge-podge of a floral motif. The cut of the top is an interesting mix of peplum combined with sleeveless t-shirt that make the garment both playful and serious in its form. Enjoy the look!

Today's look: Painterly Peplum Top: Zara, Midi Skirt: H&M (sold out. Similar at Nordstrom), Sandals: Nine West Tattoo (still available in metallic), Clutch is vintage


With the top being the statement piece, I kept my accessories to a minimum by simply adding a fun ring of semi precious stone, a delicate sterling silver bangle, and a small vintage clutch in patent to accentuate the patent sandals.

The fabrication of the top is very unique and has the feel of scuba. There are no zippers or buttons. It stretches over the head and snaps right back into shape. The blend of polyester and elastane allows the top to form perfectly to my figure.


I enjoy the playfulness of my new top. I'm glad I purchased it! When I got it home, I had so much fun playing dress-up. I discovered that is pairs nicely with many pieces in my wardrobe. What makes it even greater is that it was very inexpensive. An inexpensive piece of art...I've never heard of such a thing{wink}

Stay connected by clicking one of these links:
bloglovin  or  Google+  or  email  or  Pinterest  or  Instagram

Photograph by Freddy 

31 comments:

  1. Glenda,
    I do love this artistic peplum! I also love that you paired it with a sophisticated black skirt. I ca also see it on you with denim Capri's and a gorgeous strappy shoes. I can well imagine the fun you are going to have with this one!
    Love it!
    I all so love art and appreciate the overlap between fashion, art, and decor. kit is fun to watch a trend permeate all three realms....
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike Elle! I too see the top with denim and strappies. I am thrilled that it is so versatile. It's going to be a fun addition to my closet.
      Have you noticed a huge up swing in the interest in art? It seems to have taking on a new life. I think it is great and yes, I love it when trends permeate all three realms :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous peplum Glenda! Love your pairing it with the skirt! Very lady like.
    Happy Weekend dear
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenya! I love how it fits with the skirt. It also looks fantastic with jeans. Have a great weekend too.

      Delete
  3. Such a great and versatile peplum blouse. I love how you made it standout. This outfit is very elegant/ classy and you look gorgeous. :-)

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does sound and look like a piece of art! I love it + the fabric sounds awesome....lovely look as always Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is truly part of its allure. I am really liking this top Cookie, and thank you!

      Delete
  5. How nice to show off your slender waist. Lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the two colors of the peplum top, and it does fit you so beautifully, Glenda! I've never seen a piece like that, for sure. Very pretty shoes too!

    Thank you for sharing a story about your life and love of art! I love museums, all sorts of museums. I just love the atmosphere of them - there is something calming and exciting, and always so many new impressions... Love live theater as well. My Mom collected books about art and architecture, so I was growing up often looking at art in those books. :) I too love the trend featuring art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were blessed with awesome mothers whom placed the love of artistic expression in us!

      I agree with you about museums. Often times I will visit.one alone and do a tour by tape. It is very therapeutic.

      I am glad you like the top. It is fun!

      Delete
  7. Oooh very interesting, those two floral prints together! And as always I think the peplum cut looks lovely on you, it really gives you a nice shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. As you can tell, I am a huge fan of peplums :)

      Delete
  8. I love this outfit. It is perfect on you and I want everything you are wearing! Love it all! Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Kellyann! And thank you very much.

      Delete
  9. You look lovely here and very elegant. I enjoy reading your posts and this did not disappoint. Happy Mother's Week to you my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neti and to you as well - Happy Mother's Day. I am glad you enjoy my posts :)

      Delete
  10. you look great, love your shoes
    http://www.noveltyeye.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your top is gorgeous. Wonderful colors and pattern. Fits very well and looks stylish and elegant.
    The skirt is great. I have the same one from H&H!! :)
    I love this whide midi skirts..

    have a nice week
    Dana
    http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't this skirt lovely. I'm very happy with this purchase indeed. And thank you for the lovely compliment!

      Delete
  12. Oh you look gorgeous, Glenda! I wanted to thank you for joining Adrienne and me for "How I Wear My: Sneakers" last week. I just posted your pic to our Facebook page with a link to your blog so more people can come over and meet you. XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill - How sweet! It was really good fun :)

      Delete
  13. Love this! It doesn't get much better than peplum and full skirts!

    Happy (Belated) Mother's Day!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cara and the same to you! And yes I agree with your philosophy on peplum and full skirt :)

      Delete
  14. Glenda, you are officially my champion rocker of peplum tops. Love, love, love this outfit on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elsie! I believe I'm having a bit of an obsession with them. It began years ago before they were even popular.

      Delete
  15. That peplum top is so pretty and I love it with the fuller skirt. So often I see a peplum paired with a pencil skirt. I have been wondering what it feels like to wear neoprene. I have worn it as a wet suit of course, but not in regular clothes. I wondered if it would get sweaty because surely it doesn't breathe. It must be very comfortable though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant imagine wearing a garment made of scuba, but I know it is popular. I have seen full skirts made from it. It givez the skirt a beautiful fullness though. The elastane isnt as thick as the scuba but has the same stretchiness. Certain peplums make me look much wider when paired with a full skirt, but because this top fits so snug and lays to beautifully, I feel like it worked well with this skirt.

      Thank you Shawna!

      Delete
  16. Very,very nice top. I must visit Zara more often. You have styled it well. As usual.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Your comment made my day. Thank you!!